1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2024 | Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Jun 29, 2023.

1. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

I mentioned that once and was told there were many riders getting these 1 off tires :crackup:

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

From Michelin? Nooooo. You had to be one of the select free to get those tires and you couldn’t kick one over to a teammate or take them with you the next race.

The Saturday night specials were insane.

Quicktoy likes this.
  3. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Yes sir , there were a few Championships that were a bit questionable;);)

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It was WSBK but way back only Ducati got the A spec and foggy got them and dominated. When he went to Honda he thought the A specs were coming with him. Nope, f you soggy, you get the standard Michelins.

Then there was the Dunlops in the AMA that might have been marked as standard race tires but they were far from available to everyone.

5. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Like the Dunlop supersport class cut slicks from Japan that no one ever talked about? That tire could almost be turned inside out

6. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

I know you're kind of joking, but I wouldn't say that the whole overnight tire thing was questionable. Totally within the rules that were in place at the time. The point is to win within the rules, so creative thinking and doing things others aren't doing in order to win was perfectly acceptable in my view. The tires of that era were no different than any other performance part you can name in that regard. Acting as if it wasn't fair to get special tires would be like making Ducati give their latest holeshot device to everyone because it isn't "fair" that other riders get beat so badly at the start.

Aside from that, Michelin's efforts in that regard resulted in the development of some remarkable tire manufacturing technology. Pushing technology development is one of the major reasons companies go racing in the first place.

bpro likes this.
  7. VR47BALLKR

VR47BALLKR Active Member

You f&*ing morons don't get it, so I will spell it out for you:

True GOATs are larger than life, larger than their sports. The truly greats like Senna, Pele, Jordan... they defined their eras. They were admired for both their accomplishments within the sport and their attitudes and respect from fellow competitors. They were huge influences on young people who were fans and aspired to emulate them. They were the idols of their sports.

Rossi has this for MotoGP. Yourgay doesn't, Stoner doesn't, Marquez doesn't.

KneeDragger_c69, BigBird and SGVRider like this.
  8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Ok, “new member” or is that “new troller”?

VR47BALLKR and cbush like this.
  9. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

In on page 46!

VR47BALLKR likes this.
  10. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Between world superbike and MotoGP there were 10 to 12 riders getting the over night specials.

11. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

As a prototype series pushing the envelope of engineering I loved the idea of overnight specials. While spec tires levels the playing field now, it does funnel engineering into a specific path, and force manufactures to follow similar development paths to work with the tires as is. I enjoy the better racing from it, but the Engineer in me likes innovation. It's a double edged sword, and as much as I hate to say it, I think we're better off with spec tires like we have.

BigBird likes this.
  12. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

who else was getting overnight specials? Not arguing, genuinely don’t know other than Princess Pit Wall

13. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Spot on. “Greatest” means exactly that, overall. Marquez, Lorenzo, and Stoner can all be called the greatest in different dimensions but not the most impactful. Rossi is unquestionably the most impactful GP racer of all time. Agostini is probably close but is second because of time and the limited media of his time compared to Valentino.

A large part of Valentino’s impact is merely a matter of timing and being the right guy for that time. Media was going through a sea change and the internet and social media were first becoming things in Rossi’s heyday, combined with his personality and sporting accomplishments it’s obvious why he blew up.

KneeDragger_c69 and BigBird like this.
  14. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

This is on point, but not in the way you meant. If you have the juice to make people fly you in special parts and give you special treatment that’s a marker of sporting accomplishment in itself. Politics and doing it well are as much a crucial part of any sport as the actual performance.

I would call Casey probably the most naturally talented rider of all time (Hailwood was before my time, maybe tied with Casey). He never could’ve or would’ve bothered with getting people to fly in special tires for him, because he had no patience for the political or media games.

If you can convince people to give you special treatment to better crush your opponents, you absolutely should.

15. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Rossi nut juice all over this thread :D

cbush likes this.
  16. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Pedro, McCoy and Rossi. Through out the years it would change with what riders they wanted. Elias had them the weekend he won.

foggy and pretty sure Colin in world sbk along with others.

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Did Elias get them accidentally, or was that another rider I read about?

18. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Lol you said 10-12. That was 3

19. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

He got them because Pedro wanted another set they brought to the track Sunday. Also supposedly Honda wanted more of the special tires on their bikes to beat Rossi

Boman Forklift likes this.
  20. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

Those are the ones that were a constant. I am sorry I can’t remember all the names I was told nearly 20 years ago now haha.