1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on 09-14 R1

Discussion in 'General' started by Saiyan66, Oct 12, 2023.

1. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

The ONE...and I do mean, THE ONE AND ONLY SINGULAR picture I still wish I had to this day from all my days of track riding was on the 08 R1. I was cresting the hill at turn 4 at Barber, front wheel in the air about 8", wheel turned, laying a darkie and a little smoke coming off the tire as Im passing a buddy of mine. That picture was amazing!!! Lost it in a computer crash and was never able to recover.

That bike was fun and it was fast as hell....I was to slow to notice any frame flex, so.....

mdhokie likes this.
  2. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

I was talking street wheelies. LOL on the track it never hooked up well enough to get a decent wheelie at speed. At least with my dirt trackin ass.

3. Christopher Graybosch

Christopher Graybosch Well-Known Member

I had an 09 for quite some time, if you’re not top of class fast you won’t notice the frame flex, I never did. I crashed it 6 times trying to get faster, the frame was really strong honestly. It’s heavy, it’s under powered, but I promise half the guys on here probably get passed by 600s on their 1Ks so don’t really need the power?

it gets hot, I ended up getting a secondary radiator but I only tracked/raced mine. On the street it was perfectly fine. I did have a starter go which plagued the bike, but I swapped it and it was fine. Def needs a flash and suspension, suuuper soft up front. I had to shorten the wheel base and raise it way up to get it to turn better

great street bike though. No issues really.

the sound alone makes it completely worth the other minor headaches

Saiyan66 likes this.
  4. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

If I’m not mistaken, that’s my old bike. Still my favorite, Kent @gmd was able to get that bike to handle very well. Glad it’s done well for you!

mdhokie likes this.
  5. mdhokie

mdhokie Well-Known Member

Yep! That's the one