1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chat GPT - Birth of Skynet?

Discussion in 'General' started by IrocRob, Mar 26, 2023.

1. 418

418 Expert #59

Yeah and they also said truck drivers would be all out of a job by now back in 2015, yet here we are. Oh and all trucks would be electric too.

Don't believe anything you hear and half what you see. The tech industiry tends to see their accomplishments in rose colored glasses with little base in reality.

Aren't robots supposed to be making our fast food burger now too?

2. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Funny, we just let go of one of our team members today. Wanna guess why? Go on... take a guess.

IBM stated a month ago that they would be removing 40% of their workforce over the next few years as AI takes their jobs.

When you have one person in this thread state that he used AI to write code in minutes that normally takes days, well you don't have to be a psychic to figure things out.

I'm not a trucker. I'm a senior IT engineer. This will change everything, just like the internet did.

3. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

So, you're saying I shouldn't learn to code?

4. 418

418 Expert #59

As I said, what they claim and what reality actually dictates are two different things.

I don't think one guy getting sacked is indicative of the sky falling.

I would be inclided to say that any reduction of workforce in that indutry right now is just indicative of the current state of ecomony than anything else.

5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The current use of "AI" is no different than "the cloud".
    It doesn't mean what some people try to make it out to be. The vast majority of what is out there is machine learning and augmented reality. In other words, advancements of software capabilities that still require human input.
    Chatgpt isn't AI. Not even close. It's a search engine with superior programming.

Yes, it has changed things already. My devs are able to get past roadblocks much faster than before. It used to be you googled for how someone else might be doing something, and grabbed snippets of code here and there.
    Now you just ask one of the fancy search programs and get snippets of code much faster.
    The systems that did use actual AI functionality keep getting shut off because the things they produce, well, gets political. They aren't PC at all as they only care about facts and not feelings.
    They make people that have been cancelled look like saints.

Areas like using AI to make robot programming is different as well. It is programmed to have specific guidelines and to make it's own programming better, allow the robots to do more work more efficiently. Cool, fewer strikes to deal with.

Yes the technologies will keep getting better. Yes they will make some jobs moot. But just like "the cloud", or in reality "someone else's computers", you pivot and learn how to use it.
    The engineers that only care about physical hardware, rack and stack, got left behind. The engineers that found out how much easier life was by using virtual resources owned by someone else are perfectly fine.
    Same with this. Old school devs that think they have to hammer out everything on their own will drop by the wayside. Those that turn to this and push out code more quickly will be fine.

Boman Forklift, aalpine1 and 418 like this.
  6. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

Anyone who thinks the current public facing AI interfaces are even a niblet of what’s actually alive is completely naive. Chat GPT and the like are just dumbed down versions gathering more data based on human input. I give society as we know it two years, and I think that’s optimistic.

7. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

So many of you are really looking at the small picture. We are at the infancy of AI. This is a baby in a crib. The things the future holds with it really are amazing. Of course, just like nuclear energy, those that seek to make a weapon of it could end everything we know.

I can somewhat foresee what my industry holds with this technology. I can only fathom what all this could encompass from a 30k foot view.

8. aalpine1

aalpine1 Well-Known Member

it all depends on the scope required (code wise) ... generate a form, a field and other similar items ? yes

move an image to the left on a webpage (code wise) ? yes

create a new email account (with the necessary permissions based on templates) ? i am going with "yes"

re-image an laptop based on a template ? yes

email filtering ? yes

place an order for "x" IT related item based on a well defined request ? yes

new hire IT setup ? yes

generate a task based on an error find in server logs ? yes

i think that there is a pattern here, which probably no one wants to do anymore and some are already automated.

implement a change, in a code base, with various moving parts (DB, caching, with new cloud services required and so on) ? probably not in the coming future

generate a landing page on a website, which has a marketing strategy ? maybe in the long future (not even talking about design and so on)

understanding a request from an internal/external client and explaining to that client that there are many other items related to their simple "2 hour" request and they need to provide a lot more details? lol

kind of a different situation for "AI" to implement on its own ...

help with the logic behind an architecture setup based on usage/tech stack/cloud provider requirements ? I am looking forward to that

QA or troubleshoot code generated by AI ? lol

who has really the rights on that generated "AI" code/content/image/and so on ? those lawyers that "will be automated" probably (especially in the medical field)

it does work for code conversion from one language to another, I would say maybe 50% accurate, will it get better ? maybe ...

BTW it will be interesting when the "AI" cloud costs will be passed to the clients of said product/s.

9. aalpine1

EU and GDPR -> those engineers are doing more than fine. Some companies that are in EU countries, which have a cloud provider (with a data center) within their borders, are doing hybrid or moving to the cloud and keeping the on-prem as backup.

brex likes this.
  10. aalpine1

https://www.thurrott.com/cloud/2906...lot-loses-an-average-of-20-per-user-per-month

for now (probably they will change their pricing)

11. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

I just used chat gpt to break up with a girlfriend that just absolutely would not get the message. Shits gold! Lol

12. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

They are in California after the mandatory spike in minimum wage....

DrA5 likes this.
  13. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

15. Critter

Critter Registered

Any senior software engineers on here looking for new job?

16. Jed

Jed mellifluous

My main guys aren't. I'm the low man on the totem pole and use 4.0 to help write the bits and pieces if bigger programs.

Looking for architect level or full Stack that can code front end through the APIs?

One thing people forget is that AI models require training. What do they train on? Existing information sources such as Stack Exchange.

So people start to use Stack Exchange less and go to ChatGPT for the quick and dirty answer. Eventually nobody contributes to SE anymore and little real world knowledge gets documented. The model begins to stagnate and the answers for new tech start to suck.

boxcrash and vfrket like this.
  17. Critter

Critter Registered

Yes I am looking for a full stack senior level developer

18. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I hope so. I was an early investor in Miso Robotics and I was hoping to see that pay off sometime while I am still alive.

19. Jed

Jed mellifluous

What's your stack?

React / Nodejs / DDB, S3, and other AWS bits and pieces for us.

20. Critter

Critter Registered

LAMP, VueJs, Yii, and

Hello NO to AWS, that shit is fucked....