1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top ten (or so) bands of all time in your life?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Oct 2, 2023.

1. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Ever see Crack The Sky there?

2. Taotech

Taotech Active Member

Dead Kennedys
    Pink Floyd
    Pearl Jam
    Springsteen
    U2
    Prince
    GnR
    Fleetwood Mac
    Beatles
    Elvis
    Metallica

3. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

No. Were they local? Saw Why Not there several times.

4. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Buckethead has been a regular member of Guns N Roses. He has played solo a lot but was also a member of Praxis, Cornbugs and played lead guitar with Primus. Ozzy Osborne offered him to be a member of Ozfest which he turned down. He has played off and on for years with the same drummer and a couple of different famous base players so I consider him a band member or solo act.

When guitarists describe him he is sometimes said to be possibly the greatest guitarist that ever lived. He is also described as having a high level of virtuosity from music snobs. If you listen to him often he occasionally breaks into different styles like bluegrass or Flamenco guitar, beatifully. His one handed shredding is amazing. His melodious heavy metal is unusual. He can spontaneously improvise.

Watch and listen to the songs Jordan, and Soothsayer as he works his guitar.

Folks on youtube have made many videos with his music. From endless morphing psychedelic images to horror like "The Spokes for the Wheel of Torment".

5. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I'd like to append Ronnie James Dio to my first list...or just include him with Sabbath...cause that (kind of) to me includes his Sabbath and solo work.

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Nice list.

rd400racer likes this.
  7. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Rush
    Skinny Puppy
    Front 242
    Ministry
    Tool (even if Maynard sucks !)
    Aphex Twin
    U2
    Iron Maiden
    Pink Floyd
    Sasha (as a producer)

t11ravis and 27 like this.
  8. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

I want to replace Gorilaz with Black Sabbath on my list.

9. pjed

pjed Well-Known Member

The Cramps
    Siouxsie and the Banshees
    D.I.
    Slayer pre-Divine intervention
    Metallica with Ciff Burton
    Iron Maiden
    Sleep
    Leeway
    Love and Rockets
    Naked Raygun

t11ravis and Razr like this.
  10. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Tool
    Clutch

maybe I’m a broken record but after those two it’s hundreds of other that made some really great music but none that I’m certain would make my top ten…

Sfumato was a one album band that is my favorite single album band ever…

11. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I floored my musical buddies once by saying that I only loved tool for the music and would feel the same with or without Maynard’s vocals. This was before he acted the way he has in recent years.

12. cha0s#242

It's mostly his lyrics that are pathetic and not up to par with the rest of the band. They suck so much they could be in a Nu Metal song !

27 likes this.
  13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Kinda like how Rush would be MUCH better if Geddy didn't have a mic.

Bugslayer likes this.
  14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

@pjed I think the last Slayer album Repentless might arguably be one of their best. I actually like it more than even Blood weirdly.

15. cha0s#242

Yet Rush is the band listed in this thread the most. Go figure. At least the lyrics in Rush aren't about their dumb relationships lol

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  16. 27

27 Well-Known Member

I knew that was coming…. I really like Smashing Pumpkins and would gladly buy the entire catalog over again with Corgan’s vocal tracks removed…

CRA_Fizzer, brex and dave3593 like this.
  17. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Yet Geddy has zero to do with the lyrics. And he is the shittiest "vocalist" ever. Had they just gotten someone else, anyone else, to sing for them, the world wouldn't hate them.

18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Bring On The Nubiles!

19. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Yet he sounds way better than the Donald Duck vocalist for AC/DC

ToofPic, 27 and pickled egg like this.
  20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

My problem with Rush is not their musicianship (they were some of the greatest of all time) and less to do with Geddy’s vocals than it just never seems to end. Even their short songs seem to go on forever. When a 4 minute song feels like it’s been going on for 10 minutes. . .

get up there, play the damn song and let me get on with my shit. And Don’t drag the shit out for 2 hours. punch me in the face for an hour, get off the stage and leave me wanting more.

brex likes this.