1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hunting Regulations

Discussion in 'General' started by speedluvn, Oct 2, 2023.

1. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Has anyone read their state's hunting regulations? I have several copies of my state's regulation; at work, in the bathroom, near my favorite chair, yada, yada, yada. There is so much to information to comprehend. You cannot process this much information in one simple reading. I consider the regulations reference material that needs to be referred to early & often.

What's been your experience?

mattys281-2 likes this.
  2. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Buy meat at the store! :D

BrentA, Boman Forklift and Sabre699 like this.
  3. mattys281-2

mattys281-2 Well-Known Member

definitely a good idea to stay up to speed. I haven’t hunted in a couple years and apparently there’s been a whole slew of changes to the way they manage archery deer hunts and the use of trail cameras here in Az.

I'm not digging the changes.

4. speedluvn

Create your own PETA Thread,:Poke: Soyboy!

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  5. speedluvn

What actually caught my attention to hunting regulations was the creation of the 350 Legend and the "straight wall cartridge" regulation that started in the Mid-Western States.

I've never been one to rely on some one telling me how to do something. When there are policies involved, I want to read them for myself. If I'm wrong its on me and not some incorrect BS that someone told me.

6. speedluvn

@assjuice cyrus

Someone on this here beeb called me that and I had no F'ing clue what da fug he meant. I had to look it up. :beer:

7. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

The .350 legend, .450 bushmaster, and now just released over the summer, and will take a bit to get to stocked factory loads is the newest straightwalled cartridge, .400 Legend, are great choices for medium sized game, deer/bear hunting, for sure. These cartridges are gaining popularity, I actually own a 350 and love it. way more accurate and less recoil, than most shotguns. In Michigan for example, we now can use the straightwall cartridge during regular firearms season, and muzzleloader seasons, in the former "shotgun only zone" now known as the "limited firearm zone". 6 more weeks before we can utilize them here, archery deer just opened yesterday. Ski

8. speedluvn

In Maryland, Deer Season began September 8th for Archery only. Muzzleloader starts the weekend of October 19th-21st and then again on December 16-Deccember 30th. "Firearm" season Novermber 25-December 9th.

I heard about that 400 Legend. I'll be paying close attention to the 400 Legend Cartridge. There is not a lot of reloading data on the 350 Legend. I dont have the experience to perform too much experimentation at this point. I want to hunt in the straight wall cartridge/shotgun zones with a rifle.

9. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I must say I love my crossbow these days. Just had it restrung this summer for the season

I'm dead nuts accurate at 75yds

10. speedluvn

What's the farthest distance you'd take a shoot at an animal?

11. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

What state? Wisconsin is pretty straightforward.

12. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

i dont archery hunt (rifle only) but i do find the AZGFD website to be pretty user friendly and easy to navigate. I dont like the trail cam regulations either, but more states are moving that way.

Boman Forklift and mattys281-2 like this.
  13. mattys281-2

mattys281-2 Well-Known Member

their website is pretty awesome and has gotten much better for those of us procrastinators who wait until the last night to put in for the draw. That’s t used to crash all the time, but now it’s pretty solid

14. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

Luckily PA didn't make any substantial changes for deer, or turkey seasons this year.
    I was hoping this would be the year for an Elk tag draw but once again it's not to be.

15. speedluvn

I was seeking input from people who hunt in other states as to how confusing some of the regulations can be.

16. speedluvn

Elk are in what part/s of PA? Its a lottery only?

17. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

I have a Ruger American in .350 with the Magpul hunter stock. I shot several brands of factory loads with mixed results, and found the Winchester fmj "practice rounds" SUCKED DONKEY BALLS! I thought something was wrong with the gun. I was just going to use them as a baseline to sight in, and then maybe practice but... I quickly abandoned that idea. A friend turned me on to the Winchester 150 gr extreme point loads, and that was the magic recipe, for my gun. well under moa, last fall a few days prior to our firearm season, I shot a group at 200, I could cover with a quarter. I would never shoot a deer with that cartridge that far, due to stored energy loss, etc... but, it is nice to know it could do it, and nice to know how predictable my ammo and weapon are.

That same friend has worked up a load, with help from another 350 shooter, and they are shooting handloads with the 165 hornady bullet, slightly better than my extreme point set up. I have so much invested in my current stock, I cant justify the switch. The set up flat works.

what is the terrible rules on game cams? first I have heard of it. Ski

18. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

They are in Elk, Cameron, Clinton, Clarke counties.
    They have a drawing in July for the tags.

19. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

20. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Hunted deer once with a M82A1 before.