1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Loading ramp for a full size truck?

Discussion in 'General' started by RS250Ape, Sep 5, 2023.

1. jeff92

jeff92 Active Member

Back in your day, tailgates weren't 6 feet in the air either.

The first time I tried loading a bike in my new 2500 was a disaster. I got caught in that no man's land with the front wheel over the tailgate and when I went to push, the toolbox I used for a step slid backward. Jumped off the box with a 500lb bike over my head, luckily I was able to let it roll backwards and managed not to drop it. That was the whole reason for the ramp.

tony 340 likes this.
  2. jeff92

jeff92 Active Member

Its 2 pieces of schedule 40 black pipe and the ramp, although the ramp was half the price when I bought it.

3. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

When I was a kid we backed the old mans truck in the ditch, perpendicular, rode off the road and them up the ramp

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

What could happen?????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

That dude in the bottom GIF went full send.

6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I bought two identical ramps for just that purpose but seem to always default to using a dirt bike stand as my “second ramp”. Just easier for me.

But I do ALWAYS attach the ramp to my truck.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

For me, that was fine for dirt bikes. But once I’m loading 600’s and 1000’s it is too heavy and risky.

8. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I still walk them up a single ramp in 1st gear feathering the clutch using a Home Depot bucket as my step. Guess I'm gonna pay for that one of these days. No strap, either.

10. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Just make sure someone is videoing it when you load the Duc....just in case.

Boman Forklift and motion like this.
  11. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at 9.42.17 AM.jpg

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

If that went up the ramp in first gear, I'm going to need to see video.

13. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

^^ that.

I know you can get a diesel two stroke to run backwards, but a desmo?

Banditracer likes this.
  14. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

yes, have buddies that use this. i ride my dirt bike up a typical folding ramp, but id not do this with a street bike.. these folding ramps with steps to walk up are WAY more sturdy than having a cooler or bike stand roll out from under your feet. lol

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/stepramp-6-step-loading-ramp-p

[​IMG]

15. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

beats riding up 1 ramp, but two separate ramps is sketchy.. if not 1 piece that folds, there's always the risk of separating when walking the bike up, and you are on the ground, feeling silly and sore ;)

16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

It was sketchy damn near every time I did it, the GSA load was the breaking point. Now the only bikes I'll load in the back of my now smaller pickup are dirt. Everything else gets the Kendon.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  17. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

thats insane imo. i wouldnt do it with my race bike that was worth a couple grand, DEFINETLY not with that!!! you need a trailer sir.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  18. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Agree.

Of course it goes without sayin that you should use the cheapest HF trailer to haul your 100K bike.

When I raced back at Willow the number of dudes hauling 916/748 race bikes with Range rovers using a HF trailer was always greater than zero.

Or the guys with $40K+ Kustom Harely's going to Laughlin...HF trailer and (back then) $60K 2500 diesel.

Whatever bro. Hope you have good trailer insurance...

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

BTDT and that is why I have nice ramps. I still have a 2x12 with the aluminum fitting on the end and a couple of spare aluminum pieces to make more if I ever need them. Along with longer folding single ramps, shorter non folding single ramps and lord knows what else. Can't get rid of them because they're all good for different things or as backups :D

20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

There's actually a little story with that...

I flew to DC to buy the bike, loaded it into a rental pickup truck (shippers were quoting me 2-3 months transit time) and drove it back to Montana to the airport where my truck was parked. I didn't want to unload the Desmo and re-load into my truck (was nervous), so I backed the trucks to each other tailgate to tailgate. The ride home was only an hour but I was terrified the entire time.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2023