1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone build a big garage? what would ya do different, must haves ?

Discussion in 'General' started by MELK-MAN, Sep 5, 2023.

1. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

anyone thought about a metal building or big ass garage/workshop/man cave? what would ya have done different, must haves ? I'm thinking at least 30x60 with a covered porch on the front. 2 story high with a small apartment/guest house on one side on 2nd level, then under that a lounge area with TV and couple couches, basic bath with shower, then 80% or so would be open for couple cool muscle cars, bikes, quads .. dreamin but closing on a place with 5 acres so anyone with cool ideas would be appreciated.
    Spray foam insulation or is that an actual issue with mold when the metal walls/roof condensate?

[​IMG]

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Pool table and stripper pole.

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

drive on lift for car and one for motorcycle
    drain and area to wash car indoors; hose hookup, etc
    bathroom

bpro and MELK-MAN like this.
  4. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

What about a deck and a hot tub?

BigBird and MELK-MAN like this.
  5. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I'd do it out of block. From what I've seen price wise, they aren't very far apart and with block you will be way ahead down the road.

6. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

It should have a door

dtalbott, BigBird and MELK-MAN like this.
  7. VR45 Troll

Rockwool for insulation

TurboBlew, quikie and MELK-MAN like this.
  8. 713

713 Well-Known Member

Where are you putting that?

9. VR45 Troll

Low ceilings in conditioned area. Propane and a heat pump.
    Separate rooms with sound insulation and each have exterior access in case you want to rent them out by the hour to musicians, pimps or pron producers.

dtalbott, MELK-MAN and BigBird like this.
  10. MELK-MAN

for sure. gonna be sure to add a few front and back, likely even one at one end. super quick and dirty drawing one company i first was talking with threw together.

11. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Melka lives in S. Florida so I doubt he's putting in heat.

12. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

Upstairs apartment is cool but I'd figure out a loft or upstairs lounge to chill, be comfy yet still enjoy the garage vibe.
    big screen, carpeted, big sectional couch and chairs, fridge / bar for watching races, games, movies, gaming and a great view outside and of the toys below.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  13. MELK-MAN

likely gonna have a parking slap on left side for RV with hookups, will need separate septic tank already if i do bath room as house septic is too far away. bike stand/lift for sure. the car lifts aren't horribly expensive but not a need for one yet.
    deck for sure, thinking 20x20 covered patio on front. hot tub. definate maybe ? ;)

Gino230, dtalbott and BigBird like this.
  14. VR45 Troll

After he builds this and his wife files for divorce can I be on the list to buy it?

MELK-MAN likes this.
  15. BC

BC Well-Known Member

We don't allow your kind down here.

16. VR45 Troll

Ever see how much power an electric hot water heater takes to keep going? What’s wrong with you? Greta is crying right now because of the post.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  17. MELK-MAN

what's the "Rockwool" insulation? some friends say go with spray foam, and one buddy with a big metal building like this loves his, but hearing SOME bad stuff that the metal condensates, and mold will form over time? some metal building guys say don't do it, some are like heck yes..

if i do mini splits it should provide some heat. it's about 45 min north of Tampa (where i live now) and it's always 1-2deg cooler up that way, but we only get a few 32F or below nights. my buddy says with his 30x60 2 story tall building, with spray foam, his electric bill is darn cheap. and he cools it year round other than the 2 cool months we get.

18. VR45 Troll

My place down there doesn't have a garage like that.

19. MELK-MAN

indeed.. was thinking the 15x30 area under the apartment would be the loung area.. but if i don't do an upstairs apt i'd for SURE have a good portion set aside for this. bathroom with shower, shop sink.. and for sure, area rugs, couches, big tv, ceiling fans.. i like your thinking.

RS250Ape likes this.
  20. VR45 Troll

https://www.rockwool.com/north-america/

MELK-MAN likes this.