1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2024 | Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Jun 29, 2023.

1. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

That dude should have been banned for life.

stk0308, Circacee, cbush and 2 others like this.
  2. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

Agreed. It’s my understanding that the 4 year ban was due to the authorities involved (WADA, FIM, and CAS) being offended that he appealed the initial ban, and decided to ‘bring the pain’ in response.

A. Barrister and Robby-Bobby like this.
  3. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Wasn't it "not as bad" until he tried to pull a fast one or he got a black eye for appealing? Why do I remember something like that adding more time to his sentence? I feel like he would have been back by now but he again, screwed himself.

Sucks because he was IMO on the track the modern day Marco Sim. Very exciting, very fast, and if I remember correctly, wasn't he one of the few i nthe early MM years to actually go head to head with aggression on track?

Boman Forklift and cbush like this.
  4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Why have an appeals process at all if someone can be punished for having the audacity to use it?

Or maybe they should have two grades of sentencing at the initial level: sentences that can fairly be appealed, and sentences coming with the warning that the athlete essentially got a break and shouldn't push his luck.

5. Robby-Bobby

I dunno, and I am probably wrong, but for some reason, I thought I read where after he appealed and lost, they were mad and added it back on. But again, I am probably wrong.

6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What you're saying matches what @cbush said above, I think. And that was my point: if they can get mad that you appealed, there shouldn't be an appeals process.

7. cbush

cbush Well-Known Member

8. Robby-Bobby

Ahh I honestly skimmed past his comment amongst others. But yea, I knew I remembered something like that. And I also agree with you 100%. Seems like emotions tacked on more time.

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

You homos gonna start posting shirtless pics of AI soon?

Circacee likes this.
  10. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

This. We went to a party at a brewery in Austin and my wife was like oh look there are some of the riders. I was where!!?? Then I looked and it was Fentai so I went back to the beer line.

cbush likes this.
  11. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

That right there is why I detest those anti-doping MFers. They have taken all the authority they want to make "examples" of whoever they want and impose all kinds of sanctions, especially, if they are challenged by the accused. There is no innocent until proven guilty, it is we will hang you by your balls unless you can convince us otherwise. Look at what they did for years to Ant West. They finally let him off the hook when he "confessed to his sins" and assured the world that he was bad and the anti-dopers were good and just. It is simply coersion and confessing under torture in order to get your life back. They suck hard and I wish them to go to hell along with the FIM stewards.

12. Robby-Bobby

there's plenty of those on the interwebs. But I know you're salty cause Ianonne actually was fast and won races on the Ducati. It's ok, he probably still has leftover hats, unlike your hero.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  13. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

I thought I read the main driver for the extension after the appeal was when the day came and AI did absolutely nothing he was supposed to do for the appeal hearing. No evidence, receipts, witness reports, nothing.

But yeah, when doping punishments are harsher than on track assault, someone might have their punishment scale wrong.

stk0308 likes this.
  14. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I agree 100%. I STILL think Fenati deserved a lifetime ban, and a baseball bat beatdown out behind the haulers for that incident.

4 years for "doping" is more criminal than the "doping"

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Yeah, that sounds very familiar now that you mention it. I can understand how they were aggravated by the blatant waste of their time. Still, they made that possible when they designed the process. That's not his fault.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Iannone KNOWINGLY cheated.

Iannone knew the risk and what would happen if he got caught.

Iannone also knew about the appeal process and what was required of him if he wanted to go down that road.

Iannone did NONE of that and was given what he was told would happen as there is no appealing that sentence.

How exactly do you all think he was hard done by here?

The guy is a douchebag of the highest order, cheated, lied, wasted a lot of people time and resources, and was given the penalty.

The Romano incident is of course totally unrelated and I agree with the sentiment here - fuck that guy, he shouldn't be allowed to push a baby stroller through a mall IMO.

17. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Rossi hats are still in production.

18. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

The FIM gave him a 1 or 2 year suspension or whatever it was. FIM is a signatory to the WADA code, who specify a 4 year ban for his violation. WADA appealed the FIM ruling as not abiding by the terms of what they’d agreed to and argued he should serve the full sentence.

WADA would’ve appealed regardless of Iannone’s appeal. Had nothing to do with retaliation. If they allow 1 sport to not abide by the agreement then others will follow and invalidate the entire doping control regime.

I assume CAS just merged the 2 appeals into 1. I assume the Iannone appeal was just strategic, he was going to get hit with 4 years if he didn’t appeal regardless so just go for broke and say you ate some juiced cow.

The 4 year ban is intended to coincide with the Olympic cycle and punish athletes who commit doping violations by keeping them out of an Olympics at their athletic peaks.

Whether it’s appropriate for motorsports athletes is irrelevant, FIM agreed to abide by WADA’s rules so that they wouldn’t have to invent and administer their own doping controls. If you happily take the benefit of an organization’s infrastructure you don’t get to pick and choose which of their rules you follow. If FIM wants their own custom penalties, they can start their own doping control org from scratch. Good luck with that.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2023
  19. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

Regardless of WADA and FIM I miss the dude's brash personality. When he was in Moto2 he alone made the series fun to watch. Here's his last win on Duc, a long while ago now (2016 Red Bull Ring).

[​IMG]

20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I want to see him back on the MotoGP grid, too. Great personality.

The Great One likes this.