1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R.I.P. Gary Van Voorhis

Discussion in 'General' started by Once a Wanker.., Jul 13, 2023.

1. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

In the depth of Metzeler and Pirelli being hassled for being the newbies in AMA Pro roadracing ( we weren't but I was) and the infamous guards in the infield at Daytona Gary was a true pro. He went out of his way to sort stuff out for me. The track tried denying the big big Pirelli boss from a hot pit pass and they wouldn't give me access to the press room for grids and results but Gary set everything right. This sadly brings up even more great infield stories/memories too. God Speed kind Sir

3. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

Great guy and glad I knew him.RIP

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
  4. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Damn. Gary was a family friend since the mid-70s.

When he was at Cycle News Dixie in Tucker GA, his then wife worked at a nearby motorcycle shop. That was one of my first memories of them.

In the late 80's, a friend and I were in Daytona Beach to enjoy the female scenery on the beach. On a whim, I called Gary at his office at the Speedway to say hello. He ended up inviting us to the Speedway, and even allowed me to take a lap around the track in my rental (at very low speed), much to the amazement of my friend.

He always made sure my parents were well taken care of while at the track, for both March and Fall weeks.

He will be missed. RIP.

5. hdpromos

hdpromos Well-Known Member

Gary Van Voorhis did it all when covering the AMA Grand National Series (reporter and photographer) for Cycle News. Most all the riders got to know him because he was at every national.
    He stayed at my home while covering the AMA National Superbike season finale at Moroso Motorsports Park in 1982 (that I promoted).
    Mike Baldwin won the race but Eddie Lawson won the championship there and Gary's feature story and photos of the event was outstanding.
    His reports and photos were always as good as it gets. He was a true friend of racing and the riders that competed. Thanks Gary RIP.

t11ravis, black knight and YamahaRick like this.