House well system?

Discussion in 'General' started by britx303, Jun 26, 2023.

1. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Having a very odd issue I can’t seem to track down. New bladder tank. New 30/50 switch. Tank triple checked and it’s at 28 psi. Pump runs when I switch the breaker on and I get up to 50 psi quickly and switch does it’s thing and stops the pump. What happens next is where I’m stuck. It’ll work perfect for a day or only 10 minutes and anything in between. Then randomly without even running any water, all pressure drops. Switch won’t come back on, but I can hear the pump running down the well. If I switch the breaker off for approximately 5-10 minutes, it’ll all work again when switched back on, but only for a day or less. Thoughts or help?

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

“Switch won’t come back on”

Explain, please.

Are you saying the pressure switch won’t open and turn the pump on (despite hearing the pump run)?

3. britx303

Correct. Sorry wrong wording.

4. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

You can hear the pump running, but not building any pressure... check valve sticking?

5. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Foot valve on the pump might be fugged. Also had a pitless adapter O ring go bad once and do the same thing, tank would hold pressure for a while some times then bleed off instantly.

voss555 likes this.
  6. 27

27 Well-Known Member

Shallow well pump or submersible deep in a 4” well?

7. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Sounds like a potential foot (check) valve issue. Long periods of inactivity drain the line, and the pump loses it's prime not allowing it to build pressure again. I could be wrong, I have no idea what kind of pump you have, but sounds like submersible? See it you can back fill the line to prime it and get it going again.

I had the same thing happen with mine about 10 years ago. Replaced valve (and then the pump, because it was old and why not) and problem went away.

8. britx303

Submersible pump, but the well seems relatively shallow. It looks like a 24”+- diameter concrete culvert pipe coming out of the ground 20” or so. Concrete lid I can grab and pull off. I can see water easily and can hear the pump run when either the switch is working or not etc. when the switch seems to function correctly, the pressure gets to 30psi then kicks the pump on. Once it reaches 50, the switch clicks and shuts the pump off. When it malfunctions, the pressure drops but switch doesn’t click but pump runs continuously but no pressure rebuild. I’m not at that house now, so I know I’m babbling trying to explain clearly. Thanks y’all for any help and advice

9. bullockcm

bullockcm Well-Known Member

With the last bit of info, any chance you are running out of water?

10. britx303

The inspection indicated no issues on water supply amount just last month.

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

If the switch contacts don't close then the pump shouldn't be running.
    But the problem you describe sure sounds like a bad check valve if the
    bladder isn't losing pressure.
    Have you taken the switch cover off the ascertain exactly what it is doing?
    You could have a bad out-of-the-box switch. That's the easiest thing to check.
    I'm assuming you double-checked your wiring job.
    Seems like if it has a bad check valve now that it would have been bad before
    you replaced the tank, so what was going on before you replaced the tank?

12. britx303

No pressure when we got to the house after closing. I called agent immediately and he sent plumbers to check it out and they said it was the tank, so they replaced it on their dime. I got there as they were finishing up and they forewarned me the switch was on borrowed time and to get a new one soon. Everything seemed good for a day or so, then when we went back after a few days, no pressure. That’s when the new switch came into play. Check valve seems to be the dishonorable mention so I’ll look into that

13. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

When tank is bad you just don't have water reserve to work with. Basically you working with pump direct, when you open faucet pump runs, when you close it pump shuts down.
    Switch seems to work since pump is coming on.
    I would think one of the valves. I am on deep well (300') and I have few check valves inline.

14. knedragon29

knedragon29 Well-Known Member

Valve or possible the line is sucking a little air? Im on a 30' well, pump is above ground.

15. britx303

Installed a new check valve. Several days later and so far so good. Thanks y’all

Dan Dubeau, Britt and ChemGuy like this.
  16. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Double up the foot valve if a submersible pump as pulling the pump is a giant PIA. My 10 year old pump got struck by lightning about 20 years ago so everything had to come up. New pump, new wires, 2 foot valves and fixed most of the anti-torque spacers. Has been good for 20 tears so far...knock, knock, knock....

17. britx303

Bump. Ok, things seem ok til my pump burned up last month. Had it replaced but was having water mysteriously disappear. Nobody home or running water and the level drops below the pump. Quadruple checked every fitting inside, outside and under the house…….nothing. Noticed yesterday a dampness inside the well pipe where the line comes up and returns to the house. Started digging down and found the pipe leaks out the water. I’ve now hand dug a new ditch 20’ so far, thinking I’ll just replace the entire electric line and pipe from the house to the well pipe. Still another 50 or so feet to dig. Do I continue with the entire line replacement or do a replacement section?

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  18. britx303

Yeah……I’m tired and getting sunburned with gd deer flies zapping……..so halfassery is trying to creep in

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  19. 27

27 Well-Known Member

if it’s worth doing….

just think do it all now or when it fails after your retired and less able and grumpier ;)

and the sun is good for you!!! Turn on your native genes and tell the Scottish ones to hide in the shade :D deer flies are protein… nature is providing snacks…

Once a Wanker.. and britx303 like this.
  20. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

halfassery will save you a little trouble today at the cost of doing the whole thing again tomorrow :stupid:

Once a Wanker.., britx303 and 27 like this.