1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric mower

Discussion in 'General' started by Jon Wilkens, Jun 25, 2023.

1. Al-

Al- Well-Known Member

was this messaged relayed from your hand crank cellphone, or pedal powered laptop?

Boman Forklift and Jon Wilkens like this.
  2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Or possibly from his state-of-the-art composite submersible?

Boman Forklift and Jon Wilkens like this.
  3. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I don't advise them if you have small children. I stuck my hand in one when I was 2. Lost the end of one finger, a portion of another, and left one dangling.

4. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I just bought an 18v makita split shaft trimmer and blower combo because I'm heavily invested in makita stuff. It's a beast. I have a stihl fs110 for the heavy stuff, and pole saw duty, but will be machining an adaptor (square drive to spline) to take my stihl end tools shortly. The battery lawn tools are awesome. If I had a small subdivision lot I'd get a battery mower without question. I can trim all around the house on the 5ah battery I got in the kit, and probably even with some of the old 3ah ones I have too, although I haven't tried it yet. I was very surprised at the power of it.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  5. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

My local non-chain landscape guy has the makita line of outdoor tools......seems pretty legit

6. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I'm surprise commercial guys use them over gas, but I always thought if someone were to stick a hitch on a telsa, and tow around a small trailer with an electric lawnmower and trimmer you could make a fortune upselling your green lawncare service.........

Boman Forklift likes this.
  7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Alot of the line maintenance/ tree trimming crews have gone to electric.

8. VR45 Troll

VR45 Troll Site Mod Upgraded to Troll. Formerly “Maximum”

I have yet to see 1 electric tool being used by a maintenance crew or mowing service

tony 340 likes this.
  9. VR45 Troll

I had a Supervisor who got his finger mangled by a rotary mower and had to have many operations. I knew 2 guys who had their leg chopped off by rotary mowers when they were kids. The one guy used to take his prosthetic leg and spin it around until the foot was pointing backwards when he was in class and freak people out

I had a friend when I was a little kid whose dad drove over his sister with a farm tractor in Mexico.

Reel or rotary mower or string its doesn't matter.

More people die in the bathroom than any other place.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
    Jed likes this.
  10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I don't know what to tell you. maybe you should get out more. :D

Al-, gixxerboy55 and pickled egg like this.
  11. tony 340

Same here

I was referring to a landscape supply store, not a contractor earlier

If you're cutting lawns in those joke neighborhoods where every 3rd house is the same, I'd imagine that electric would work, so long as you carried 4k worth of batteries in your work truck

I don't know where the internet calculator is on how much lawn can be cut on 10lbs of batteries vs 10lbs of gasoline but I'd guess the calculation does not equal out.

Cool technology for sure, but I'm not sending out a 12hr day crew with 50 battery packs

12. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Got a Greenworks 40v cordless push mower 4 or so years ago. Wife is the one who uses it and she hated the old worn out gas mower. We only use it for trimming but it is way less hassle than gas. Just can't let the grass get too tall. Runs out of steam. And it will cut for about 20-30min per charge. Which is more than enough for us.

The Ferris 60in cuts close enough to the trees that we don't do much trimming on the couple acres of grass

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  13. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

"Do-gooders" are working to ban gas-powered lawn equipment. It's coming whether it's logical or not.

And it's not.

When Jose has to buy all new battery operated lawn equipment AND 4 or 5 sets of batteries to run them all day, he's going to have to charge double to cut lawns.

Seniors on a fixed income who are no longer capable of doing it themselves are going to be hardest hit.

Boman Forklift and tony 340 like this.
  14. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

Damn man. You must work with @Gorilla George to have such a hate for electric mowing machines. Give it a rest

stk0308 and SuddenBraking like this.
  15. tony 340

I've been on jobsites where those guys have the 6x Milwaukee m18 chargers.....even then the mower they have uses 2 at a time

That's 400 in batteries alone and we all know how much emloyees steal and lose tools

Plus who is getting off shift, and taking the responsibility to charge 40 battery packs at the end of a hot day

Government will step in the same as they do with grants to companies like mine for retiring pre emissions diesel trucks

Government grant's for electric vehicles are 50% of cost of new now. Best EPA scam job in human history and these fools will jump through a plate glass window with a stack of 100s in their hand over it.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  16. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Appreciate all the actual electric lawn care information. Seems like I'll just pick up a Ryobi set since I already have one battery of that type in the house.

Some of y'all really need to get a grip and chill...smh

JBall, beac83, stk0308 and 2 others like this.
  17. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

That charger is fucking useless.

It only charges ONE battery at a time. :mad:

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  18. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

You can say that again. o_O

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  19. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

The sequential charger does that, but they make a rapid charger that will do two at a time. Looks the same.. just works far better. We’ve had both at work and the sequential charger is useless.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  20. VR45 Troll

You should at least get a 2 pack of smoke and CO detectors and mount them where the charger and the mower will be stored so you dont die in a house fire. Safety first. Just say’n