1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Front rotor buttons contacting pads

Discussion in 'Tech' started by bergs, Apr 23, 2023.

1. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

2012 Yamaha R6

I noticed there are a few of the front rotor buttons ever so slightly coming in contact with the brake pads on both front rotors. To be clear, they are not contacting the braking surface. They are just barely scrubbing the inner edge of the pad material.

The issue cannot be felt while riding or pushing the bike around.

It was seen as I was doing post-track time inspections and now I'm wondering if this is a good time for caliper spacers or if I should be looking into something else.

Nothing appears to be out of place otherwise.

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

OEM rotors?

Whose pads?

The other consideration is whether the buttons are worn out.

3. Gixxerguy855

Gixxerguy855 Well-Known Member

I had that issue when switching to Galfer wave rotors on my S1000, I measured the distance needed to get the pads completely onto the whole rotor surface and bought some spacers in that measurement. No more rubbing the buttons and the wheel spins freely and brakes are excellent.

borislav likes this.
  4. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

OEM rotors

Pad mfg is unknown at this time as I have yet to disassemble for further inspection. Will update this detail next time I'm working on the bike.

There's no detectable rotor float on either side. What would otherwise cause the buttons to wear out?

5. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Sounds like the caliper spacers are missing?

6. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

No spacers on stock set up. Probably aftermarket pads.

Brad likes this.
  7. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

Ahhh! I forgot the Yamaha has the dowel type insert. I even looked the fiche and thought it was a spacer.

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Heavy use, particularly, if the wave washer has been removed from the button. (Assuming the OEMs are semi-floating - with the wave washer).
    As a side, if the rotors seem locked in place on the carriers, you might want to hit those buttons with some aggressive cleaning, like, maybe a pressure washer. You're not gonna hurt it, just don't blast the caliper pistons or axle/spacers.
    I'd remove the rotors for easier cleaning, lay 'em on a car's rubber floor mat or something and hold it there so it doesn't go skipping across the driveway. :D