1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WERA book club/Whatcha reading?

Discussion in 'General' started by cortezmachine, Apr 16, 2023.

1. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

"The Club" about how the Premiere League was created and morphed to it's present form.

Link

[​IMG]

henry_carlson likes this.
  2. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

The Evolution of Physics by Albert Einstein and Leopold Infeld. I am not trying to be "hey look at me" at all. This book takes us through Einstein's progression (and other scientists) in such a way as a non scientist can follow. It does require at least a basic understanding of Physics and Chemistry. I'm only about 1/3 through the book because I am slowly going back and forth to understand previous material.

I ran across this on an old book shelf. I was unaware that Einstein wrote anything technical but not high level. It is still in print.

My take is the writers understand the concepts so well they can explain and make illustrations that even us humans can understand. Getting a glimpse into a mind that can create so abstractly is amazing. And his work took place way before the instruments we have today for sub atomic research.

27 likes this.
  3. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

I have not, I will have to check it out!

4. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Not really a book related comment, but my 3.5 year old is on the spectrum and until very recently has been non verbal (and very aggressive). Well he has started speaking quite a bit and seems as if he is learning to speak and read in unison. He is obsessed with these letter tiles he has and phonics videos on YouTube. Been a crazy couple months for that kid.

5. 27

27 Well-Known Member

If you want to get deeper after that... there is a book called “Faster than the Speed of Light” that is based on the theory that E=MC^2 only works because of the observation of 3x10^8 as the speed of light, from our viewpoint, when it may be accelerating instead... It gets into string and unified a bit but was more the tech side of the theory.

If you see any Nikola Tesla books on any odd shelves grab them and let me know. His is the hardest to get any real info on and no normal outlet has anything good. Most interesting are articles written by tech journals over 100 years ago when he was active and funded.

After all when they ask Einstein how it felt to be the smartest person on earth he humbly said “I don’t know... ask Nikola Tesla”

6. 27

27 Well-Known Member

NO Don’t watch it!

not before you read the books at least... that’s what the mexican series is based on and it’s great. The books are better of course.

henry_carlson likes this.
  7. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

"Start with why" and re-reading "Leaders Eat Last."

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

True Believer - Jack Carr

deathblow and Wingnut like this.
  9. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Foundations series by Isaac Asimov. Classic good sci-fi.

I also highly recommend the Three Body Problem Trilogy by Cixin Liu.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

That entire series is awesome.

Steeltoe likes this.
  11. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

IF this happened (there’s no definitive evidence it did), it was almost certainly said derisively and/or in jest.

12. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Just finished the Jack Reacher series.
    Try the Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny. They are very well written. They are now a Netflix or Prime series, but do not translate well to TV. They miss the small, but important details and feel of the books.
    I am getting ready to reread African Game Trails by Theodore Roosevelt. All of the Teddy Roosevelt books are worth reading. Very well written and I enjoy the sense of how things were 120 years ago.

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  13. 27

27 Well-Known Member

agreed, but neither of those two projected any level of hubris as far as a competitive intelligence in my opinion, most humble considering. Nothing like Oppenheimer where he seemed to be full of hisself.

I do think that Nikola Tesla without a doubt was the most brilliant mind in our known history, nobody comes close. He did say that he’s just a receiver and the Aether/universe of knowledge was there for all of us to access like a bee hive collective intelligence. Just imagine how many others have been hidden and or unknown to us.

14. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Plus one for Gamache. Don’t read when hungry. The sandwiches!

15. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

drinking, a love story

16. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

The Whistler by John Grisham.
    Also on #16 of the Patrick O’Brian Master & Commander series.

17. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Oooh I’ve read the O’Brian series like three times. Irritated the crap out of @fastfreddie at first getting my bearings with all the nautical terms, lol. That movie, with Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany, is why we bought our first really large flat screen TV.

18. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

Paul Tremblys , cabin at the end of the world was a fantastic quick terrifying read . I bought 3 of his other offerings and they are not so great .

19. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I love this idea! How is it determined what books you'll read?

20. LossPrev

LossPrev Well-Known Member

The End of the World is Just the Beginning by Peter Zeihan

I don't read much since getting out of college but have really been enjoying Peter Zeihan's youtube content so decided to try his latest book. It spends a lot more time on history than I though it would but I would definitely recommend checking him or the book out if you're interested in geopolitics. He has some interesting takes, especially with population and demographic issues. Right now the focus is on China as the rival superpower but Zeihan seems to be one of the few saying they are essentially going to disappear over the next 10-20 years.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
    auminer and Yzasserina like this.