1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

392 Hemi SRT ??

Discussion in 'General' started by BC, Apr 17, 2023.

1. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I can tell by the availability of said engines, that nobody can drive anymore.

Question is, are these lumps any good or are they grenades' @ 700HP? I picked up an old dart without numbers matching drivetrain and I'm thinking of swapping in one of these setups or a 440. Car has a 360 w/727 currently.

2. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

They are good for a little while…
    Then the cam wears out, the valve seats fall out and all other kinds of bad stuff happens.

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

So a 50K miles junkyard special aint so special.

4. Al-

Al- Well-Known Member

what do you plan on doing to make it 700hp? that is leaned on enough that I'd hope you'd be going through it completely anyway. A street 440 at 700hp is fairly serious build as well, so apples to apples I'd prefer the modern setup in an A body rather than a big block.

5. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Using a dodge motor is like putting clapped out SV motor in an NSR 500.

:D

G Dawg and sdg like this.
  6. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

The guys at the stellantis plants are high and drinking by 8a.m., running trap houses in the parking lot, and have multiple gambling rings in the plant.

It's a miracle those cars even run

I thought low IQ and a shitty credit score came standard with the charger/challenger line

7. BC

BC Well-Known Member

The factory supercharged SRT's in challengers, chargers and some suv's are making 700HP stock.

8. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Ever been in A GM plant? Those are worse. The employees come in plastered already. :confused:Hell we used to find empty bottles of Jack in the rear a/c cover on suburbans.:confused:

9. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

We see mixed results on older models. Some have 300K going strong, others detonate by 70k. As stated, the earlier ones suffer from valvetrain and cam issues. The last couple years seem better.

Put a 2000hp, 2800 ft lb cummins in it and forget it! :D

DucatiBomber likes this.
  10. BC

BC Well-Known Member

No! :moon:

cav115 likes this.
  11. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Peeps used to put empty beer cans in the doors of Lincolns when mgt. illegally sped up the Wixom assembly lines

12. Al-

Al- Well-Known Member

Correct if I’m wrong, 392 scatpack is the 6.4 naturally aspirated model that was under 500hp and the 700hp ones are 6.2 supercharger hellcat whatever whatever ghost names?

DucatiBomber, KneeDragger_c69 and BC like this.
  13. BC

BC Well-Known Member

You may very well be correct. Not a Mopar guy just always wanted an old dart hotrod.

14. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Correct. The 5.7's are around 375 hp, the Scat Packs are N/A 6.4 l, and around 485 hp, and the kitty cats are supercharged 6.2 l and start at about 707 hp stock. There have been some valve train issues with them all on occasion wiping out cam lobes due to lifter failure usually in the autos with MDS.

cav115 likes this.
  15. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

There is a LOT more going on than slapping a charger on a 50k junkyard 392 'Hemi'.

cav115 likes this.
  16. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Thank goodness I chose to get a Durango instead.....:crackup:

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  17. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

my sister got the 2015 charger daytona with the 6.4l(392) as a rent a car option on a business trip... classic mid 30s white woman normally drives a white audi q5 3.0l supercharged... she loved the power. she's a lead foot street driver with 0 track experience. I continued to make fun of her admiration for the most quintessential male african- american car on the market. It was her first time with real power on an american rwd v8 so i gave her a pass lol. she was honestly considering buying one after that.

the other rent a car options were kia sorrento, gmc acadia, or hemi charger... she chose correctly.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  18. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

You just wait . . . :Poke:

19. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’m not up on Mopar. However, I was in a guy’s shop who is amidst doing what you’re thinking. He had a crate Hellcat, trans, and stand-alone EFI system. He said it all came from Mopar as a package. I wouldn’t hesitate. Should be a cool car, when finished.

20. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

That is $20-$30k for the engine alone, depending on power output. Plus transmission, front accessory drive, cooling system, A/C, EFI (Term-X?), driveshaft, etc, he'll be into the powertrain $50k easy. What car is it going in?

A little different than the junkyard 392 the OP is drooling over;)

ducnut likes this.