1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Race Van thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Gino230, Apr 14, 2023.

1. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

I tried searching but I keep getting the "words are too common". I know there was a few race van build threads on here, including one possibly started by me?

Search tips?

Thanks

I'm back to dreaming of race vans, now that my RV is in half due to a 3rd slide out repair.

2. KNickers

KNickers Well-Known Member

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

So you started a new thread with exactly the words that are too common?
    WTH, man? :crackup:

4. Gino230

What would your suggestion be, smart guy? :Poke:

5. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Oh, I thought this was a thread about racing... vans...

41oEWsz1KnL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg images.jpeg

Chango likes this.
  6. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I heard there's a guy down by the river who knows vans.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

[​IMG]

Razr likes this.
  8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Transporter, but no one listens to me. :D
    And I don't mean Transporter as in "model". Give me an old school E-350 extended, preferably in 4x4. ;)

9. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

search Sprinter/Transit/Promaster etc would probably yield better results.

Gino230 likes this.
  10. Old one, preferably a dodge, white, windows in back but covered, free candy in big letters on the side, pad locks on the inside of all doors :)

Razr likes this.
  11. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

I do...

12. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

But I like when you spend half your energy doing some RV repair at the track making you more tired for the race! And when you let me share some AC in your RV. So just keep the RV mmkay?

13. Gino230

Yeah the repairs are getting old. I don't mind a little tinkering here or there, but it's becoming more and more of a project. The RV is 20 years old, there's always something going wrong. If we had a reliable RV repair shop that would be another plus. It's getting pretty hard to find good people to work on them.

The problem is, new ones are literally double what my current RV is worth so you're looking at shelling out $100k plus trade in for a vehicle that gets used 4x per year. $100k could go pretty far in a van buildout.

The RV was my dad's, but he doesn't use it anymore so what I really need is enough for 3 adults, even though 90% of the time it's just me and my mechanic. Some things I really want are a shower, queen bed, and pull out couch / bed of some kind. AND A/C! I think I can make that work and still have room for a bike for the close in races, and for the longer trips I'd just pull the trailer.

RB components makes some nice stuff, including an aluminum shower stall. There's also a bed that moves up and down so it could be up for transport with the bikes underneath, then lower it down once unloaded. I don't really care about a galley, all I need is a microwave and we eat most of our meals outside after using the little bbq grill. Or during the day we make sandwiches.

In case you didn't know, it rained down here in Ft. Lauderdale for 5 days and we had massive floods, so I had nothing to do but come up with van layouts.

IMG_4052.jpg

14. JCP636

JCP636 Well-Known Member

I have a 170wb sprinter that I built out. Bed over the bike isn’t practical. Too close to the ceiling, major claustrophobia. Unless you want to get a modular one that drops down after you unload. I have the back half as a garage and the front half a queen sized bed that is elevated and slides in and out, so I can store everything underneath. No kitchen or shower, but if I only needed room for one bike, there’s room to do it on one side in the back. I have a fridge and use a cassette style boat toilet when needed. 400 watts of solar and 2 max air fans on the roof. Flat screen Tv on the wall and 2 bluetti solar generator boxes.

Gino230 likes this.
  15. Gino230

That's cool- post some pics if you can.

I thought of saving some room with an outdoor shower, too.

The up and down bed seems the most practical, but you give up the ability to have a sealed garage to keep the fumes under control.

16. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

If you're thinking about building something out yourself, have you thought about converting a small bus?

I've been really stuck on the idea of building one of the party bus types out into a camper/hauler type. I could pull the trailer behind it if I wanted to have more capacity. Leave the trailer and take a trip with it. I think it'd be a really fun project for me.

00G0G_fjDuFF65I3_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg 00J0J_T5aoLmrhWv_0lM0t2_300x300.jpg

Sabre699 likes this.
  17. t11ravis

t11ravis huge carbon footprint

Just sent you a bunch of IG pages @Gino230

Gino230 likes this.
  18. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

https://www.adrenalinevans.com/

This guy!! He's an ex-racer and is sponsoring me at the TT. Even if you don't end up working with him, hit him up (@adrenalinevans on IG or FB) and pick his brain. Tim is the tits and will find a way to help out.

Gino230 likes this.
  19. Gino230

I saw your post about this on the sprinter thread, I think it's a cool idea, but I'm looking for something smaller. Also, I like the idea of a van body that's unmolested. The RV is basically a heavy duty chassis with a wood and particle board shed plopped on top and many of the problems come from that. Leaks, etc. So I wouldn't want a second box on top of the chassis.

buzz-06 and lopitt85 like this.
  20. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Bump! Considering giving in on using my pickup, and going the van route. Online shopping has me looking at Toyota Siennas. Yes, I’m hard headedly YOTA loyal. Might go check a couple out tomorrow to check dimensions etc. Anybody hauling with one of these?