1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking helmet opinions

Discussion in 'General' started by bergs, Apr 12, 2023.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Do you think FLY came up with the AIS system to not compete with 6d? I mean its great for the end user to have the envelope pushed further from competition.

2. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

100% they are trying to compete and they did a good job for sure. I just was talking to your point saying they basically copied 6D. The only helmet close to their system is bell with their flex setup. But being snell I still think it’s far too rigid. It’s also super heavy.

3. craig641

craig641 Well-Known Member

Keep in mind to check the build date on whatever helmet you decide on. My last helmet was from a reputable online seller having a close out sale on the model I like. Ended up being two years old so I'm only going to get three years of use. I'd have been better off paying full price and getting a new one and having the full five years of use.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Interesting you bring that up. I was going to purchase from a VERY well known sponsor here and inquired as to the date. I was informed that they don't have that information. Sorry, but that disqualifies them from my search.

Pixelator, Razr and KneeDragger_c69 like this.
  5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Pfft.

Most of us don’t avoid denting the tarmac for that long ;)

6. BrentA

BrentA Very expensive.

Now that's pretty piss poor customer service.
    It takes basically no time to go check before making the sale.

7. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Translation ( IMO ) is it was a helmet they don't have in stock at their facility to check. Or could be anti motivated staff. :Poke:

8. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Yep I’d bet a nickel that they didn’t have the helmet in stock and the supplier wouldn’t check it for them.

rd400racer likes this.
  9. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Is a well taken care of helmet that has not been crashed in all of the sudden trash at the 5 year mark? Somehow I seriously doubt it. Like expiration dates on food. Have any tests been done on helmets that were 6-10 years old and were the results significant?

10. six6two

six6two AWD

6D omnidirectional suspension>MIPS>foam+composite BS

KWyman133 and Spooner like this.
  11. Yama-saurus

Long ago and far away when I was in dealership land, I could call my rep for whatever brand helmet distributor and ask them to pull 2-3 of helmet X, size X and color X and check dates. They all knew the deal and reasoning. They would hold the newest one out as pretty certain I had the sale. If I missed the sale, I'd let them know and they put back on the shelf.
    Pretty certain with all the changes last few years of staffing struggles, the distributors don't do that these days.
    So if said dealer didn't have said helmet on THEIR shelf, then their statement had some merit.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  12. Mike Lafayette

Mike Lafayette Well-Known Member

I too asked probably the same sponsor, the same question about an Arai and its build date prior to purchase and got the same response as you did, which I wasn't impressed with. The helmet was in stock at a different facility but they said for whatever reason they couldn't give me a date. I asked if I could return it if it was too "old" and they said I could. I got it and it was ~6 months old, I kept it and was happy. I am not trying to defend them, they should certainly be able to provide this type of information for any helmet purchase.

rd400racer likes this.
  13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yep, exactly as you stated. And I really wanted to support someone who supports this site, but I'm not going to buy a new helmet to find out it's 2 years old especially if it's for racing.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It is not a night and day thing at all, it is a slow degradation - however the line in the sand needs to be drawn somewhere and yes there was independent testing that was consulted when coming up with that rule.

Saiyan66 likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry but expecting someone to go through a bunch of helmets in a warehouse is not what I'd expect from any company. The being able to swap it out is very cool, looking if they have the time is fantastic, but full on expecting it is silly, they'd have to hire a full time person just to cater to racers wanting helmets.

cav115 likes this.
  16. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Exactly, I'm frankly, "skeptical".:Pop:
    I'd like to see " irrefutable" proof and data.
    My helmets are OLD never been dropped, been well taken care of. Linings are like brand new....no sign nor hint of even paint fade...I just don't accept that. I'm just fine with my decision.
    Perhaps some of the newer helmets I'm not familiar with, have been using materials that break down? I don't know,.
    I've dealt with alot of composites,fiberglass and epoxies , catalyzed finished etc.. some of them 40 yrs old or more, still look new. Frankly we never heard much anything of this.."expiration date" stuff until the 2000s. That's when it started ramping up in internet chat rooms? For the regular Joe that is, I know racing orgs, have had stipulations etc .
    But that's sponsorship $$ and lobbyist $$ and sales and marketing 101...:crackup:

I imagine a helmet company wouldn't be profitable if somebody only bought one helmet a decade..? :confused:
    I'm also only speaking of a helmet that's been stored in good shape, not left in the heat to degrade etc. That's obvious...
    It's all good..Proceed as one wishes ...free choice
    Yep exactly like I wrote...Top gear, head 2 toe.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
    KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  17. Muz720

Muz720 Well-Known Member

Been an Arai head since 79 wouldn't wear anything else but mostly because I am superstitious that way. your left boot on 1st, new leathers put on the pavement before you race in it kinda thing. Get a helmet that fits you properly all good after that.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The 5 year rule of thumb has been around for longer than that by a couple of decades.

On the components, how much 40 year old EPS or even normal foam like used in the liners have you seen that still looks new? Especially if it's been around a hot sweaty body part on a regular basis.

19. Yama-saurus

Good points by Mongo and I wouldn't say anyone expects that info, but think about it, how many, say size Large Arai Nicky Resets, do you think any dealer is doing to actually stock ? My ambitious guess would be maybe 1-3 at the most of that graphic and size. Solids and other sizes, probably less quantities.
    Yup, the brand's distributor should have hundreds in multiple warehouses, so that wouldn't happen these days at all.
    So to ME, a dealers ability the check a build date in a couple boxes in stock at their warehouse would not be a great feat to pull off. Knowing dealer isn't having to open dozens of boxes.
    Carry On !!!

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If they are talking about a site sponsor then it is not a dealership with a handful of helmets but an online retailer with hundreds or more.