1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sump pumps - good, better, best?

Discussion in 'General' started by gpz11, Feb 24, 2023.

1. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

I’m traveling for work and I got the call from the Missus that we’ve got water in the basement. Luckily it’s unfinished but some stuff still got wet. I’ll be home in the afternoon but a buddy stopped over to help clean up and set up our back up pump.

The current dead pump was about 11 years old and was from one of the big box store.

What’s the Beeb’s recommendations for a good long lasting pump?

Thanks!

2. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

One word… Zoeller

get a cast iron one with metal impeller. Make sure you test it monthly and it will last a LONG time

dobr24 likes this.
  3. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

Get a verticals float switch too

4. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Ok, looks like Lowe’s sell those.

Thanks!

5. ttt637

ttt637 Well-Known Member

Dam, surprised by that. But they are the best

6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Zoeller for sure.

I'm a fan of a battery backup pump too. They typically provide 8-10 hours of power in which the power companies can usually get power restored for the primary pump.

dobr24 likes this.
  7. eggfooyoung

I also like to drill a few 1/8" holes lower in the crock to help lower the water table under the house to buy more time should everything fail.

8. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Thank you folks, I'll be picking up a Zoeller this afternoon.

Egg, what do you mean drilling a few holes in the lower crock?

9. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

We have a water-powered backup sump. That way it still works even if the power goes out.

acorn27, cincigp and dobr24 like this.
  10. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

Bought two of the shitty Hd/Lowes chinese plastic units lasted about 7 yrs each.Now have a cast iron Zoeller, only way to go.

11. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Second the battery backup. Heavy rains tend to come with power outages.
    Zoeller or Little Giant would be my pumps of choice.
    Discharge the water far enough away from the foundation of the house that it doesn't just run right back in.

12. eggfooyoung

Your crock should be surrounded by gravel that will allow water to filter through it. I just take an 1/8" drill bit and drill a series of holes (10-12?) around the outside perimeter of the crock about 18" down to allow for water that's below the footer drains to filter in, and removing more water from below your house. The water will be murky and muddy for a bit, but it usually filters out and is remarkably clear later on.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Pay @Steeltoe to sit in your basement with a length of garden hose to siphon the water out as it accumulates.
    He’ll suck that water out like a sump pump, he’ll do it cheaper than a Zoeller and he’ll enjoy it.

gpz11 likes this.
  14. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Honda makes electric sump pumps, btw. Have used one I use during floods at my house on the Mississippi River. I did have to order a new float after about 12-15 years of use. Taped styrofoam to it temporarily; got a new one in a few days.

15. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

So just got home, going to take a little nap and then rip the old one out and replace.

Thanks for help folks!

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Good - Having a fairly reliable pump
    Better - Having a very reliable pump
    Best - not having a sump to be pumped.

17. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Ok, so new Zoeller pump installed, watched it drain the water and shut off, crock filled back up but pump didn’t turn on.
    I had the wiggle it before it turned back on.
    Yes, the float is perfectly free, watch it go up and down with the water.
    Is there a delay or something before it fires back up or is it a dud?

18. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I had to warranty my zoeller.

I live next to wetlands that drain to a water source that raises frequently

I have 2x. 2" zoellers about 4" higher than each other in case one goes down Nd has problems. check out liberty pumps. They're more on the end of sewage grinder pumps, but still bad ass pumps

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  19. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

Well, I’m came down about 2am to check things out and I could hear water trickling into the crock.

So not sure what was going on but it seems to be working correctly now.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.