1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pirelli street tires?

Discussion in 'General' started by svracer22, Dec 6, 2022.

1. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

I see lots of options. I’m debating between the Rosso 2, Rosso 3, Rosso 4, Rosso Corsa 3, or Rosso Corsa 4. Are the Rosso Corsas a track day tire? Is there a big jump between Rosso models, or between the Rosso Corsas?

This will be strictly street. Mostly back country roads, no commuting.

If it matters, the bike is a project sv that’s been sitting for years. My goal of making it slightly less clapped out and having a street bike for the first time in 10 years.

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Funny how his name pops right into your head. :D

With all the car talk lately, I thought this thread was gonna be about P-Zeroes or Scorpions. :crackup:

4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Sub'd. Have sport touring tires on my stock S1000XR wheels but just drunkenly bought a set of Dymag wheels so obviously need the stickiest of the icky rubber I can find for those.

5. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Here's the list for the newest radial tires for modern sport and sport touring applications
    Race DOT-Diablo Supercorsa SC1,2, &3
    Ultra-performance street & track day-Diablo Supercorsa V3
    High performance street & track day-Diablo Rosso Corsa 4
    Performance street -Diablo Rosso 4
    Sport touring- Angel GT II
    The list goes top down for dry grip and performance to high mileage with wet performance
    My suggestion is Rosso 4, but I think you'll like the Angel GT II more if you like value and wet preformance

6. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I don't know Pirelli but would agree to the Angel GT II. Sport touring tires are amazing, just pick whatever is offered by your brand of choice (they're all gonna be fantastic). Excellent grip in dry and wet, great mileage, sticky edges for when you need edge grip. After having some (Michelin Road 4) on my wife's Ninja 400, I got some (Road 5) for my '07 GSXR 1K. I'll never go back to anything other than a sport touring tire for the street. Getting 3k miles out of a sticky street tire with nothing gained is nuts to me and I'll never do it again.

Gorilla George and cha0s#242 like this.
  7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid: Beat me to it. The latest ST tires have plenty of grip on the street. If they don't you're riding stupid for the street and need to take it to the track.

Gorilla George, cha0s#242 and stk0308 like this.
  8. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Meh, I tried sport touring tires on my S1000XR and they're noticeably worse and give me less confidence in turns. I'm sure most here could go faster on square tires than me, but IMO if you're trying to have fun* on two wheels, better tires are a safety measure/insurance.

*Different people have different views of fun.

9. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

I want a tire that offers good front end feel, good grip, and fast warm up. I’m willing to trade tire life for these things.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  10. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Blasphemy!!

11. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

I run the angel GT's on my 1290 super duke. for 98% of my riding they are fantastic. Long life (5k+ miles out of a rear), great grip, work in the rain if needed, and handle great.

If I were really out tearing it up, I'd opt for something stickier but for my "90% pace on the street" level, I've never had any issues. One time I went riding with a guy with a full track prepped aprilia tuono (ohlins, DOT race tires, rear sets, clip ons, etc. etc.) and struggled to keep up, but that's the only time I can remember thinking I needed more tire.

stk0308 likes this.
  12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Look at it this way, if the tire is more performance oriented the more heat is needed to make the compound work. But in the real world, and in a wide variety of temperatures do you really need a track-day or better tire for street riding?

Gorilla George and ducnut like this.
  13. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Love me some Pirelli street tires. HATE their naming scheme haha! Dealers hate it too.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  14. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Yeah, yeah that's because I never got to travel and train you and your dealers because you were always too busy with Icon, Thor, and AMS tires?

And I can think of another brand you sell that's naming is more confusing but...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  15. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Hahaha for sure other brands are terrible at naming tires too! And I don't remember being asked! I have all sorts of brand reps ride with me.

16. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

Same here. The Angels are fine for cruising around but the profile is not confidence inspiring to say the least.

ducnut likes this.
  17. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

I don't remember either

18. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

+1
    I switched to sport touring tires when I got my FJ-09 in 2015 and would not go back. The only time I missed agressive sport road tires is when I went to the Dragon and rode like a moron. The Road 4 I had got a bit greasy towards the end of the run. Nothing dramatic. Otherwise, in 98% of the situations I ride, the sport touring tire is the best choice and will easily let you drag footpegs if you are so inclined (!). :D

19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

So, are you talking about the older less expensive Angel ST, or the slightly newer Angel GT, or the latest updated Angel GTII tires?

stk0308 likes this.
  20. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

The GTII. The GT1 was horrendous for smooth cornering transition. On a personal note, I’ve also gotten better mileage out of your SC3 TD tire in the mountains than your V2 & V3 when riding aggressively. The V2/V3 does not like sandpaper roads in the Smokies compared to the TD/race compounds from my experience.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.