1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ireland trip

Discussion in 'General' started by cav115, Oct 12, 2022.

1. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Who`s been to Ireland?

Reccomendations on travel agency?

Things to do, places to see?

2. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

People use travel agencies still?

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’d love to go get lost, over there.

cav115 likes this.
  4. vdub 2.0

vdub 2.0 Well-Known Member

You have yo check out the ring of Kerry, if you and renting a car make sure you do it in the opposite directions of the tourist bus’s. If your looking for a guided trip with a bud I think you can check out CIE tours

cav115 likes this.
  5. code3ryder

code3ryder Well-Known Member

Well, a major question for me is...do you golf?

cav115 likes this.
  6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Kiss the Blarney Stone....

britx303 and cav115 like this.
  7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Drink beer.

8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I can't remember who but there's a guy on here that's from there and big into horses. He should be helpful.

cav115 likes this.
  9. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

10. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

By yourself? Rent a GS and send it.:p
    With the fam? Rent your own car, and get the smallest one you can you gluttonous American. They drive on the Brit side so PAY ATTENTION walking at crosswalks, driving in traffic circles, or ANY blind hill or corner on those narrow roads.
    Until the EU got involved they didn't have any sort of freeway system, so stay off it because the locals don't know its the 21st century yet. The local roads aren't really named, they just point to the directions of the next town. But thats OK, you want to pack a sammich and a beer and get lost anyway.
    Do the Guinness tourist trap, worth it for the view from the top bar! Then get out of Dublin ASAP and head to the west coast.Stay south-ish. The Ring of Dingle is just North to the Ring Of Kerry, a little shorter, MUCH less travelled, and no less beautiful.
    Talk to locals when you stop (you can't avoid that anyway) and follow their suggestions. It's smaller than you think, you can do everything is a short time so don't rush.
    Stay in a castle at least one night.
    AirBnB a place and use it for home base to launch out from any direction. They're used to visitors, but you'll be a 'local' at the pub the third day you show up.
    Galway is big, but still pretty.
    Do a distillery tour.
    Luke was hiding on Skellig Micheal.
    Cliffs of Moher are a little touristy but worth it.
    Glendalough:bow:

and please keep an eye out for my heart, I left it there:oops:.

5axis, cav115 and ducnut like this.
  11. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

If I had it to do over again, I would go to Galway and spend the whole time there. I love that place.

tl1098, smooth and cav115 like this.
  12. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Thanks all....

Going with my girlfriend, so no fam.

13. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

ducnut and cav115 like this.
  14. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

Thank you!

15. 5axis

5axis Well-Known Member

16. quikie

quikie Fugitive at Large

Actually just got back from Ireland. We did a tour with Vegabond (essentially a more 'active' guided tour, hiking, biking, etc.). Was excellent, very good way to visit the country and get an sampling of some cool spots. Would absolutely recommend them.

Dublin is a big European city, nice but just like a lot of other European cities but some of the smaller ones are pretty cool. Cork, Tralee come to mind. Galway was great, would definitely go back there.

I would recommend touring the west coast, lots of nice towns there. Next time I visit, I'd also like to swing by Northern Ireland for a few days as well as I didn't have time this trip.

We did a guided bicycle tour of Killarney National Park and was absolutely amazing.

Also, you want waterproof shoes and a waterproof jacket. It's windy and rainy. Not cold, but if you're there for a few days you will get rained on.

ducnut likes this.
  17. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

When you say you can do it all in a short time, are you referring to seeing everything there worth seeing?

Will a week cover it?

Is there a better time of year to go?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  18. Cooter!

I was more referring to this:
    Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 10.44.01 AM.png
    Takes about 8 hours to go from the top to the bottom and about 4 across the middle. A week should let you drive around to see an overview and then stop and stay in the area you like most to really go exploring. Theres crumbling castles everywhere, and of course its full of history, hiking, golf, pubs...
    Go in the summer if you can, just before or after 'tourist season' (your travel agent will know those dates). You'll still get rained on but it's pretty mild otherwise. Avoid St Paddys day. Oddly, we do it better over here.

cav115 likes this.
  19. Cooter!

THAT sounds really cool!

20. quikie

quikie Fugitive at Large

It was raining the entire time but yeah, very cool. The guide (Jay) knew everything about the place too. I'd absolutely recommend it.