1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&P-15 Sport II questions for the all knowing...

Discussion in 'General' started by RS250Ape, Sep 27, 2022.

1. RS250Ape

RS250Ape Well-Known Member

I've got an opportunity to buy a Smith & Wesson M&P 15 Sport II, new, w/ a red dot sight (dk brand as of right now) and the 5.56×45mm/.223 to .22 conversion kit and a single 30 magazine for $1025. I've been shopping a bit but no practical experience and still so many questions.

Feedback opinions on the M&P. Anyone own one?
    Is the conversion kit a nightmare or a seem-less transition/great accessory?
    Is this a good deal?

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Great basic AR’s……..but that’s way overpriced, red dot or not. I’m seeing the M&P’s going for 6-700 and a vortex red dot for around 100-150.

rapidzrx, jasonhise, ungwaha and 2 others like this.
  3. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

what is it your looking for? that ar or ajust a decent ar?

4. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

Is the .22 conversion a legit total upper or just the bolt/mag that drops in? That makes a huge difference in value. If it comes with two uppers that can be swapped by just popping two pins and changing the mag, I'd say a grand isn't too out of line.

969 likes this.
  5. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

The CMMG .22 kit (just a bolt and different mags) is the best thing EVER. The M&P doesn't seem like anything special, just a basic decent AR. For less money (under $800) you could buy a complete Anderson lower locally (for ease of paperwork) and then go online to PSA and get a complete upper of your choice, the .22 kit, and a Sig Romeo 5. As for mags- .223.5.56 mags are like $10 each, the .22 conversion mags are a lot more so get the kit that comes with 3.

5axis and Gorilla George like this.
  6. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Meh, ok-ish rifle but not really a great price, especially not knowing the model of the red dot. Guessing it's something cheap that'll struggle to hold zero and won't take much of a beating. Peruse local forums. Good guns often outlive their owners so it's probably one of the easiest things in the world to comfortably buy used. There's much better deals to be had out there.

7. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

The CMMG complete upper with mags is a far better conversion. More reliable and accurate, albeit at double the cost ($400 vs. $200).

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I bought just the $200 kit and it's very picky about the ammo I use. Maybe it simply hasn't broken in enough, but I'm disappointed so far.

9. Tristan

I can't argue accuracy as I just like plinking, but the bolt has been 100% reliable for me over thousands of rounds. What's the difference on the mags? Why would they be different- the lowers are the same either way.

10. Tristan

Guess I got lucky- mine happily eats the 4 cent LRN crap I feed it and everything else I've tried. As I've said in the main pew pew thread this is with my PSA 16" upper- my 8.5" BCA upper is more problematic, so I stick to .223 in it.

11. Tristan

FYI the CMMG kit is $169 right now at PSA with 3 mags (it's often on sale at that price there)

12. Decent gun; nothing spectacular but it will likely do what you want it to do.

I can't comment on the conversion; I have never done one of those.

Red dots are cheap, it doesn't add much value to the gun. You can get a good Sig Romeo optic for like $150 or some shit. You can buy mags by the bucketfull; they aren't expensive at all.

Which ultimately means, that isn't a great price. The only thing you are gaining is that you are getting all of that stuff at once, and won't have to shop/drive around or wait on any of it. But as far as it being a "good deal", I gotta say no.

rapidzrx likes this.
  13. britx303

Palmetto has blem models right now that are more than reliable for general plinking……..$450 with free shipping at the moment

14. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I dont know about the conversion kit, but I have the M&P 15 and bought it new. Love it! Accurate, and has held up great since I bought it 5-6 years ago. Stock trigger is actually pretty good, but I replaced it with a velocity trigger because I wanted to try a "nice" trigger simply because I never have (cant rave about this trigger assembly enough, it's amazing and was easy to install. I think I mentioned them in the main thread).

If the conversion kit is as solid as everything else they have made with the whole M&P line, it'll be great. And based off my experience with them I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I love their M&P pistols, and I plan on grabbing their AR-10 as well.

Edit: FYSA, I wanted something that would go bang everytime I wanted it to, and hit what I'm aiming at. This fit the bill. And I wanted something built on the same platform that I carry at work for the sake of familiarity.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  15. Blemished??????????????

Hell no. Not even if it is free. :D

dtalbott and britx303 like this.
  16. britx303

Tinkerbell.:D

dtalbott and Gorilla George like this.
  17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

That's good info because I'm using mine with a BCA upper. I may switch it to a PSA upper I have just to see how it works.

18. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

the only way that's a "good deal" is if the optic is a better quality red dot. If it's something like an AimPoint or Trijicon, that would maybe put it into the ball park, but if it's a Vortex/Sig/Holosun or something chinesium it's not that great of a price these days. The AR15 rifles are easy to get now and the prices are way down from a year or two ago.

when i first started looking at AR15's it was interesting learning about the different brands and what's worth the money vs not. I remember looking at one (used) rifle and wondering why it was priced way over other similar (same brand and spec rifles), and it was because it had a Trijicon ACOG on it (around $1k for the optic).

19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

For ~$100 more, you could get that M&P Sport II AND an M&P 15-22. New.
    Used, less.

20. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

#princess-as-fuck
    :D

Gorilla George likes this.