1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know Steve Baker in Washington, former world champ?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Jul 11, 2022.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I have a Yamaha TA125 that is painted in the same scheme that Steve used on many of his race bikes. I tried messaging him on FB a few months ago, but he hasn't read my message. I think he might own a motorcycle dealership somewhere in Washington state. Trying to find out if my TA used to be his.

aaa.jpg

His TZ750

bbb.jpg

backbone, cha0s#242, BigBird and 2 others like this.
  2. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Damn. How many 2T you keep on display?

Im writing my congress critter. We need a law that says you can display only 1 2T, the rest must be ridden or sold. Viva La Revolucion!!!

motion likes this.
  3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Thats not my TZ750 wish it was tho

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  4. ChemGuy

Oh I know. But havent you posted like 3-4 other 2T's on display...

5. Manxboy

Manxboy Well-Known Member

6. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I think I only have 2 diesels on display in my house but if I had a 500cc GP bike, it would definitely find a place in the house!

7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

8. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Back in the mid 70's, my dad was allowing me to use a 35mm camera for the first time, a "half frame" Olympus Pen F. It could take 40 pics on a 20 exposure roll.

We were at Daytona, in the pits, near Steve's setup. I remember being taught about depth of field - the amount of horizontal distance that is in focus in a photo. I set the Aperture to a low value to achieve this, and adjusted the shutter speed for proper exposure. I pointed my camera toward Steve, who looked directly into my lens. The pic came out pretty well; I wish I still had it.

9. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

Pic I took back in the 70s
    [​IMG]

10. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

When his racing career ended, he founded Steve Baker Kawasaki in Bellingham, WA (his hometown, about 90mi. N of Seattle).
    Very nice guy, soft-spoken & humble. Used to see him bombing around town on his immaculate RG500 Gamma. I think he finally retired it from street duty.

Always had a smile for me when I rode my '84 Ninja 900 over for parts. He always had what I needed on the shelf.
    "Man, those things sold like hotcakes...and 3/4 of the ones we sold came back crashed within 6mos.!"

Around 15yrs. ago, he sold his dealership into multi-line Mt. Baker Motorsports (Kaw/Suz/KTM).
    Haven't been in for a while, I believe he's the overall Sales Manager/President now.
    Office at the front, he usually popped out to greet folks upon entry. Class Act.

motion, ducnut and YamahaRick like this.
  11. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I wonder if customers realize the legend he is?

12. ronin1052

ronin1052 Well-Known Member

Most of the mature/silverback local riders (like, erm, me) are aware of it. Not as common among younger types.
    There were photos and a set of his old leathers hanging in the old dealership.
    MBMS is a modern, glossy place, no nostalgia displayed there; I imagine there's a few mementos in his office.

You kinda had to prod him a bit for brief bits of BITD racing discussion. Similar accounts in moto press suggests that's just his way.
    Either he's weary of it all, or simply moved on philosophically.

Once a Wanker.. and ducnut like this.
  13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I called and talked to him for a few minutes on the phone... he did used to race a TA125, so this one is most likely his. Sent him a photo & waiting to hear back. If it turns out to be his, I'll contact the Barber Museum and see if they would like to have it. When I first got this thing, my first impulse was to send the body out for new paint. SOOOOOOO glad I didn't! Its def history worth preserving.

14. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

That is fuckin cool.

15. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I asked a knowledgeable friend about potential Barber interest. They already have about ten of them, so don't get your hopes up too much.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Weren’t they selling off some less “important” bikes from their collection awhile back?

What about the AMA museum?

maybe jay leno? :D

17. ChemGuy

There a small 2T museum near me...in my garage actually. I'll happily take it as a donation.

I bet I can cold seize that beyotch in less than 3 corners too.

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Steve responded and confirmed that it is likely his bike. Neato!

ebastaard, G2G, Cawk Star and 6 others like this.
  19. ChemGuy

Nice.
    Let me know if you need it cold seized. Or otherwise crashed.

motion likes this.
  20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Take it touring through some country none of us have ever heard of.

motion likes this.