1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Erik Buell

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, May 16, 2022.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I was referring to the 1125. I always thought those bikes were pretty special compared to the stocker but I never rode one so I’m speculating. I always wanted an 1190 though. I still hope someday I can race an American motorcycle in a proper big bike class, but it doesn’t look good.

G 97 likes this.
  2. MW23

MW23 Member

Just listened to the episode and really enjoyed it! I would love for you to have him come back. The stories he tells are always entertaining.

I've race various models over the past 10 years and every time I try to switch plat forms I find myself coming back to them.

The XB with the right race appropriate mods is a very raw and visceral experience but at the same time tons of fun! The 1125 is a bigger refined version of the 1125. They are super relieable and my DSB engine has been running strong for years with just oil changes and valve adjustments.

Both 1190 models(RS and RX) are great bike but if you want a real taste of what one of his bike can do you need to ride the RS. I've been lucky enough to find one set up in race trim, but they really don't need much to get on the track.

Knickers I remember some of the battles we had at grattan on the 1125s(mine was orange at the time) with a few KTMs thrown in.

long path/road, KNickers and G 97 like this.
  3. Buell1965

Buell1965 Well-Known Member

Eric was a wildass from the go , who else would stuff a square four 2 stroke snowmobile engine in a hand crafted frame and take on the mighty TZ 750 , yep that would be him . I myself bought new and still own my 96 S1 and wouldnt trade it for nothing as the 20k all original by me is going to my son when i kick the bucket . ( i loved err thang he done and did until it got all shitty and stuff ) . (Harley had a winner on board and mucked it up ) .

4. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Cool story, but not very accurate, take a look at Barton motorcycles that formed the basis for the first Buell.
    But, that isn't to take anything away from what he did. I remember seeing Erik at Blackhawk farms during those days and he used to come into Competition Cycle, where I worked, to pick up Castrol R. I chit chatted with him a little because I had friends that worked at Harley at the same time. We talked a little racing, but I never ran any of the same classes as him. My brother worked for him for a short time when he was working out of an old barn in Mukwanago with about 3 or 4 employees. I saw the original square 4 motor and frame just sitting on the floor in a pile of hay with pigeon shit on it. I had no idea about it other than it looked pretty cool. Most people also don't know how instrumental he was in developing the FXRT with an anti-dive air suspension that used the crash bars as an air reservoir for the system that I think, was solenoid operated. Very innovative, even if he didn't like the bike. He also tried to race the Honda 750 Sabre at IRP when it came out in 82. It didn't work well. It was pretty scary to watch it wallow out onto the straight.

Once a Wanker.. and Buell1965 like this.
  5. rohorn

rohorn Well-Known Member

Buell1965 likes this.
  6. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Nice interview, thanks.

7. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

Excellent podcast! I've always enjoyed Eric's passion and honesty.

Banditracer likes this.
  8. DJ Baker

DJ Baker Well-Known Member

I enjoyed the one with Jeremy McWilliams too.

9. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

Great podcast. Subscribed.

Banditracer likes this.
  10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

:stupid:

jd41 likes this.
  11. Deadpool

Deadpool Active Member

I enjoyed it too, and have subscribed. I wish I stumbled onto this thread to pose a few questions but you guys hit on most of what I would ask. You can just feel his resentment for HD bean counters. So many cool projects killed. So many things about his bikes that he caught flack over were forced on him by HD. Ive owned a few Buells over the years, one of my favorites was the Ulysses. I was glad to hear he got a little dig in about the Pan America.

His engineering genius, his passion for racing, and his pride in American production and engineering make him an American treasure. If HD hadnt put him on such a leash and burned his projects at every turn, we could have an American superbike at the highest levels by now. A real travesty and an incredible story of what could have been.

12. bsanorton

bsanorton Well-Known Member

I love my Buells

Attached Files:

DJ Baker, ducnut and G 97 like this.
  13. 12

12 Well-Known Member

Of all the race bikes I had .... the 1125 crashed the best.. always seemed to keep sliding on its side and not barrel roll! Nothing like a sound boom backfire coming from below..bouncing off the pavement at Road Atlanta turn 7....:D

14. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

I've heard that about the 1125's before.o_O What a weird compliment.

15. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

16. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

17. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Can I get one built with less gyroscope effect on the front wheel, please?

Why isn't the radiator black?

18. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Did they ever try to use dual perimeter brakes?

19. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Yeah.

First guy that lifted the wheel to put a tire on it snapped his spine…

20. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Every bike on their site right now - except for the dirt bike - just has the perimeter brake on one side.