1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which way and why?

Discussion in 'General' started by long path/road, Apr 18, 2022.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

...or Mladin.

I've thought about trying to change many times from std to GP, but I just don't see the point when it's never once been a hindrance.

Now that I ride a bike with a very good clutchless up/down setup (RSV4) after riding an "analog" bike for 19 years, it took me long enough to stop grabbing the clutch on downshifts........hell if I'm gonna risk trying to retrain my left foot for no appreciable benefit now.

RRP likes this.
  2. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Funny, have the same problem (with my often injured and beat the fugg up left foot) and it's for that reason I prefer standard. I don't much mind if I miss a shift coming out of a corner, but missing a downshift doing into T1 gets interesante......different strokes for different folks :beer:

tempestm likes this.
  3. long path/road

long path/road let's think about this!..??

soo... can see both sides... I've done both. but std .seems to me to b e more relaxed. but that is probably me over thinking it or not thinking about it..

4. Chain

Chain Well-Known Member

also whats the best oil?

5. tempestm

tempestm Well-Known Member

The type that stays in the engine. Maybe that's a topic for the the 'best' oil drain plug that doesn't require 30 ft-lbs of torque per OEM specs.

Maybe I'm over-sharing... :)

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

one that requires users & vendors to become believers of the mighty pyramid ploy!!

7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Had both...raced both. Po-tay-to...po-tah-to.

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

And Biaggi.

9. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

False neutrals on entry suck because I'm probably going to run out of racetrack before sorting anything out, but it's likely to be just me and the weeds. Caught one on exit of the final corner of ACC North with the same fat boy leaned over scenario you're talking about and almost got ass-packed at over 100. I can definitely see the logic in trying to swap for that reason.

10. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

The last corner at Barber is pretty short in length. If you're that close to redlining at max lean, you should try short shifting before the corner and rolling on the gas more aggressively. When you tip in, you are effectively raising the rpm anyways.

Inquizid likes this.
  11. G 97

G 97 Garth

Schwantz and Mladin are world class riders. They can make anything work very well for them. Most riders, not so much. How do you know the unknown, that’s all I’m saying. I would at least try it before making any definitive decision, you may like it. I certainly wouldn’t discount it, if I haven’t tried it regardless.

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yep. Also might want to explore changing final drive one tooth lower in rear then work on going faster and picking up speed/rpm’s in other areas of the track especially if you can eliminate a shift or two etc.

Inquizid and Sabre699 like this.
  13. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

I think ones being OK with std shift would have a lot to do with shoe size and engine size. Us ninja 250 racers with extra wide size 13 feet need GP shift.

14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I get it. Although I ride big bikes and wear a size 12 shoe, I stuff my feet into size 9.5 boots on the bike.

GP shift is fine but if you're banging gears at full lean, I'd recommend changing something other than your shift pattern.

15. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

Do you use rear brake? Im standard on dirtbikes, GP on my track bikes, and for endurance, ride standard, as its easier for me to ride standard, than it is for the teammate to ride GP. I have no issues going back and forth, until it comes to using rear brake while downshifting gp, after riding an endurance race with standard shift. Its tricky getting my brain to press down on the right side while lifting up on the left side.

16. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I was standard for the longest time, then I started endurance racing and my two teammates were GP - so I learned GP. I don't find either to be better.

17. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I've got over 100,000 miles on the street using regular shift, I'm not changing now. It hasn't been an issue more then 2-3 times at the track.

18. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

I have used both and never had an issue going back and forth once I imprinted GP in my brain, which took about 1/2 a track day. It almost seems bike-specific, when I am on my r6 GP, dirt bike standard. Speed triple standard. I do have a little conversation with myself before each ride about what bike I am on but when riding it doesn't really seem to be much of conscious thought. For me one was not faster than another but the GP seemed to feel more comfortable/make more sense on the track.

Biggest positive, GP is way easier to bang upshifts when doing multi-gear wheelies....:D

19. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

For me, had a first gen Daytona with GP shift and I didn't like in heavy braking zones feeling like my weight was going forward and I had to pull my foot back (much prefer weight going forward mashing the shifter down to brake). Also have size 14 boots, so it is (was) a bit of a bitch to get my boot under the shifter to pull up and go down in gears.

Hence standard shift is preferred.

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Tried GP at Daytona because that's where my new bike was delivered and since it was set up that way, hey, why not try it? Downshifted on the banking in practice. Went back to standard.

cav115 likes this.