1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Teach me about Flat Track

Discussion in 'General' started by tophyr, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Mike Dillon

Mike Dillon Well-Known Member

I can't think of a good forum on FT. I have a little YouTube channel about Flat Track to promote the sport and help get people past some of the hurdles that keep them from racing. As Rob mentioned, it's difficult to talk people into the lap time (seat time is king!) but some like to hear and think about the techniques and thought processes of people who already made a ton of mistakes. I forgot what the rules are on this forum so I wont post a link to the channel, but you can go to Youtube and search for Flat Track Factory. There's a bunch of vids. A couple are decent. YMMV though. Cheers!

Triple X, E Reed and swetngblts like this.
  2. Jeveritt

Jeveritt Well-Known Member

As Mike said above he's got a ton of info on his channel. MY .02cts is watch his videos and just go and try it if you have any interest. Find a class your bike fits in and put some tires on it and go. I started racing flat track 4 years ago because, I moved, ran out of money to road race but still had the racing itch. I had a 1oo and bought a 450 and never been on the dirt track before the race. just showed up and raced. Yes it was a novice class or a newbs class, but if you can ride a motorcycle or race a road race bike at 140+mph you can get around the track and have fun. There are schools you can goto, but there is so much feel you need to learn and feel that I think can't be read or showed. You need to feel it and break any fear of a loose bike. Once you do that all the instruction makes sense and you will start to get faster. This all might not work for everyone, but for me, a rider that hated getting the bike out of shape I needed to just dive in.

There are differences, some events will be a little more disorganized than you are use too. It will probably go late, I've raced as late as 2am. You will get less track time then you are use to, but just have fun and ride the bike.
    I will also add to get started, race any bike you have that fits. little bikes are fun and stuff, but on most of the tracks when they are prepped there is enough grip that a 100 or something just doesn't ride the same as a big bike. you need a little oomph to turn the bike with throttle and the small bikes struggle with that.

swetngblts and Mike Dillon like this.
  3. swetngblts

swetngblts Well-Known Member

Hell yeah! thanks. Great info.

4. swetngblts

swetngblts Well-Known Member

Cool, thanks.

5. CBRRRRR999

CBRRRRR999 Well-Known Member

You put your left foot in, you put your right foot out and you slide your bike about. That's what it's all about.
    Kudos to y'all, my knees haven't been that healthy since I was a young teenager. My brothers drifted from dirty biking to full drift on a track dad let us build in the back yard with a grader blade and I just do not have the feel for it. It's like watching magic to me.