1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R7??

Discussion in 'General' started by long path/road, Feb 23, 2022.

1. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Well there's also a difference and getting help with a bike or paying for it which probably plays a part in the people you mentioned

2. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

The Aprilia doesn’t make 100, it makes 88 on the dyno and that is in race trim. Also it’s much more high revving, different powerband. An $8k Superbike motor in the Yamaha makes 88 and acceleration is better. Also, I don’t care what the dyno says, the Yamaha is faster on the top end. I’ve seen it personally.

jpratt847 and FastByKids like this.
  3. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Especially when you put a 120lb-ish kid on one. Jackson had a little rocket ship last year and KD’s Yamasarus was strong.

4. Gino230

I think there’s some confusion, because Ed Sullivan who is Matt Scholtz‘a crew chief, built a personal R7 project and is racing it at Daytona.

long path/road likes this.
  5. Gino230

Chuck being a former dirt tracker, and machinist / tuner, probably has some good info from the factory Yamaha guys who are running that engine in dirt track. There is still a lot of development to be done with the FZ/R7 motor, it’s all about who wants to spend the money trying shit. And who has the time? I’m trying some stuff, don’t know if it will be ready in time for Daytona, though.

6. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Correct me if I'm wrong, engine work for the twins cup is pretty much wide open?

I overheard a conversation last weekend at Jennings saying it was one of the "money classes" in MotoA.

7. Gino230

I don’t know the exact geometry comparison between the R7 front end and the FZ that’s been modified with the Robem triples and R6 forks, but I bet it’s close. You could get even closer with a ride height link in the rear, or even better, the Robem linkage. All the comments on the chassis are relative- there are guys winning club races and qualifying for MA races with the R6 triples grafted on, which is supposedly terrible offset wise.

I’m a little biased, but I think the R7 is a great package for trackday and club racing. Just like Cop says- drop in some cams and a hord air box and you’re 90% there. Power is accessible and the bike is simple and fun. Pretty reliable, too.

long path/road likes this.
  8. Gino230

Stock valve sizes, stock bore (sv has +2 exception) but yes a lot is allowed. Rods, cams, pistons, bored throttle bodies, porting, etc.

9. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Looks like a wide open wallet is indeed required!

Just looked at the Daytona 200 entry list. Appears on seven out of the forty-five bikes are SV's. Dying a slow death...

jpratt847 likes this.
  10. Gino230

The SV is still very capable, and arguably has the better chassis. But it also needs a big motor build to keep up these days. I think a lot comes down to riding style and talent. If you can squeeze the last few 10ths out of corner entry and mid corner roll speed, you’ll probably be happier on the SV. If you’re like me, and your apex speed is 3mph slower than the fast kids, I’d rather have the stronger exit and acceleration of the Yamaha. The dirt track kids don’t care either way that the Yamaha is protesting at corner entry and mid corner- look at the guys who have excelled on it. Kaleb, Jackson, Hayden. All dirty bike fast kids.

The HP war really accelerated (pun intended) when M4 and Rocco got involved. Since then it’s been non stop. It was inevitable anyway that in a pro class, someone is going to bring the big budget, and we’re all forced to put up or shut up.

Just my 2 cents of observation from the back of grid. :crackup:(Actually I think I had 2 rows behind me a couple of times last year)

11. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

Gino every dyno sheet I've seen on the 660 has is bone stock at 87-89rwhp so am I on the right track in thinking that with all that teams can do - ECU flash, full exhaust, air filter, fuel, etc... that MA has neutered the 660 to then only get back to where power is in stock trim?

12. Gino230

Cop could answer that better than me. From what I understand, the bikes last year ran only a kit ecu and exhaust. 88 was the number I’ve been told. Granted that was at the beginning of last season….

they are also allowed cams, and I think throttle bodies, but I don’t think anyone has actually done that yet.

younglion likes this.
  13. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

I'm so out of the loop with current bikes. My brain went here:

Hagaaaaaaaa.jpg

14. long path/road

long path/road let's think about this!..??

that is sweet!! I am liking the input..thanks to all ..for me being older def would be track days, and possibly if get wild hare a race here and there.... the narrow look and simplicity of what I'm seeing etc.. has me intrigued.... I just need to find/ see one in person to make up my mind....have not seen one in my area at all..

ToofPic likes this.
  15. Gravisman

Gravisman Well-Known Member

That’s competing against a stock rs660 motor, though. If you’re a club racer on a budget, maybe it makes more sense to have the bike that’s fast out of the box and doesn’t need an engine rebuild every year.

16. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

JD Hord has many dyno charts on his website using various mods. His airbox, reflash ECU, full race exhaust and running pump gas nets you 78 HP at the rear wheel. Not too shabby and that's not opening the engine up. The airbox cures the stock anemic top end. The torque curve is so flat you can take your pick of which gear to use in a given turn.Having raced high strung 2-T bikes for so long it's been very weird getting used to my FZ07. Also not used to the engine braking. But, the more I ride it, the more I like it. Also, riding as a paraplegic it's user friendliness is rather nice too.

Don't know for sure but the bike Draik rode for a bit that Andy Palmer built was supposedly around 100 RWHP and 305 lbs. wet, ready to race with fuel. It sure looked like a rocket ship at VIR.

Gino230 likes this.
  17. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

susperstock rules for 2023. there, I said it!

E Reed and noles19 like this.
  18. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

:crackup:

19. Gino230

My Yamaha build is on it's third season, FWIW.

In principle, I agree, but the Aprilia has not proven reliable even in stock form. The engine problems are well documented on here. I hope they get their quality control (or whatever the cause of the problems has been) figured out, because it's a beautiful bike and by all accounts the chassis is awesome.

20. long path/road

long path/road let's think about this!..??

really wish I could find one.... to see In person... never thought it'd be this difficult.