1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. racepro171

racepro171 to finish first, first you must finish!

get a tru mx bike, if you like power and are bigger 450 , 250 if not, and take a school. learning how to jump is imperative to survival. making all the jumps is less fatigue.

Senna likes this.
  2. 418

418 Expert #59

I tried MX a while back and realized that jumping is just not for me. The notion of having to commit completely without knowing what's on the other side is a completely foreign concept to me. Watching a A rider hit the same track you were just rolling around on will humble the shit out of you.

I will say suspension is everything. My bike beat the shit out of me. I rode a KTM 200 and it was butter smooth in comparison, especially jumping. Which doesn't make sense cause it was a woods bike.

Senna likes this.
  3. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

^^^ this

^^^...and this

If you search and get lucky enough, you can get both "used" -- a track weapon and a woods bike -- for the price of one near-new bike. Even the best compromise is still a compromise. May be good enough. But with enough seat time on both, you'll feel the difference in their respective elements.

bitorius and Senna like this.
  4. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Yeah, jumping is a whole nother deal. I’d like to try and rent something and try out one of the vet tracks to see if it’s something I really want to pursue. I like getting air on the mountain bike, but MX is obviously a completely different level.

5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Anywhere near Gunnison? I'll be out the riding for a few days in July.

6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

No, sadly. I’m in the tri-lakes area just north of the springs.

7. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

IMO, if you want to do anything with speed, you don't want a light duty trail bike: KLX230, CRF230L/250L, XT225/250. They are meant for simple smiles.

That said, I had bought an XT250 for a buddy to do the KAT (dual sport ride in KY.) I kept it for about a month and it reminded me of my grom. Super slow, but makes you smile when you ride it. But, I would never consider doing a hare scramble or MX day with it.

I don't know much about MX. There were a few places around me that I could ride many years ago, but they all seemed to have gone away. I had done a little MX on a KTM 200. In the woods, the bike was mellow and easy to ride fast (as a road race with little/no dirt experience.) On an MX track, I found myself constantly mistiming the "hit" of 2 stroke power. I'd constantly either send the front wheel way too high or too low. I rode a buddy's CRF250R in the woods once. It was dogshit for woods riding compared to my 200 2 stroke, but it was way easier to "time" jumps so that you remained flat in the air. I didn't take it on an MX track, but I'm sure it would have been way easier for me to ride there.

Senna likes this.
  8. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Daymn! Do I want this bike!!:)
    Registered for street use in Calif & everything. Just my style,perfect for where I live .
    IMG_20220126_223221.jpg IMG_20220126_223306.jpg
    IMG_20220126_223249.jpg
    :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, too many projects to finish...:(

9. I borrowed a well set up mx bike, had a decent coach and it’s just not my gig. Same as 418 said, my brain just isn’t wired to do it.

Senna likes this.
  10. prm

prm Well-Known Member

If at all interested in MX, whether it be racing or just riding at the track, get an MX bike. You can trail ride, or do just about anything else on an MX bike, while a trail bike will be fine on a trail it will be terrible on a track. Have you checked Aztec for days to ride? Even Lakewood won’t be too far. Then you have Rampart Range for trails. I raced for many years at Aztec, and all the other CO tracks. Been awhile though…

Senna and TurboBlew like this.
  11. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

You taking your out there or renting? Readytoriderentals.com ? My brother used to live in Gunnison and there is killer riding all around there.

12. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Aztec seems to be open mostly year round as is RAM right next to it. RAM only preps the track on weekends, though. IMI and Thunder Valley are also not a bad driver at all.

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

AJ Cantanzaro has a good youtube channel where he goes into developing riding skils & basic drills.
    A modern 250 4 stroke is plenty fast to have fun and learn on.

418 and skidooboy like this.
  14. eggfooyoung

We're taking ours out. There are about 8 of us going. Which will suck. I much prefer 3-4.

cpettit likes this.
  15. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

As the others said, there is and never will be a one size fits all bike. To go and completely counter that, I would say my 450FX is probably as close as you can get. It is big and the extra weight is noticeable if you're trying to do single track , goat trail type riding. While the suspension isn't setup to clear 100' triples, it will sure as shit run a hell of a lot better around a MX track than a KTM 200 EXC or the like. But any trail that you can cruise 2nd/3rd gear on, it's a phenomenal bike. And you will destroy anyone on a smaller bike the second the trail opens up and you go above 50% throttle in 3rd and get into 4th and 5th gear.

If I was riding with kids or newbie riders, hell yeah give me a CRF230 all day. But if you go out and are at least a mediocre caliber rider (B class-ish) and enjoy pushing it in the woods, above just fucking around and idling everywhere, you'll love it. It's like a R1 with knobbies, yet surprisingly forgiving. But make no mistake, if shit goes wrong, it goes wrong...real quick LOL

16. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I've got a deposit down on a 300RR Race Edition, it's supposed to be here early April.

Pretty excited to get off of my KTM 450 XCW.

jksoft, cpettit and bitorius like this.
  17. bitorius

bitorius Active Member

Dang. Jealous. My 300 XC-w has been OK, had two sensors go out already. Busted a fork seal on the XPLOR. I love riding it, but I think I'm just looking for something else to look at for awhile.

Why'd you choose the Beta? Very curious, as if I need any more reasons ...

18. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

What year is that 450? You’ll love a 300. It will feel like you’ve been batting with a donut!

Maybe when it warms up we can get a beeb day together at Saddleback with cBJr and Foo (and anyone else interested)

TurboBlew, bitorius and cBJr like this.
  19. gsxr1000bill

gsxr1000bill Well-Known Member

After a 4 year hiatus, I'll be back soon

Attached Files:

Spooner, TurboBlew, cBJr and 3 others like this.
  20. eggfooyoung

And in proper fashion too!

Congrats. I can smell that thing from here!