1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Maybe it was the novelty of it that got to me. But I thoroughly enjoyed my time on one. I already thought they were really cool just from a design and ingenuity perspective. So when I saw a fella at the range with one one day, I couldn’t help but say “nice gun.” Wasnt gonna bother him past that because I generally wouldn’t want to be bothered much but he struck up a conversation and then invited my buddy and to play with his p90 awhile. I in turn let him play with some of my shit. And I had a blast with that thing.

just some of the testing data/videos/reports I’ve seen on the 5.7. As I understand it, that round was developed for 2 reasons - for the P90 & five-seven to share a common round for pairing purposes in mil/leo load outs and to defeat body armor. Been awhile since I’ve looked into now, but if I recall correctly, FMJ will defeat level III and AP rounds will defeat level IV. Don’t quote me on that because like i said, been awhile. But I remember all the stuff I read about it left me thinking it would definitely OP. Now I’m sure it’s probably tumbling with little to no energy at that point given how small it is. But I’d still prefer a round that has a better chance to stop inside the target if possible. Just my .02.

as far as ranges go, don’t know what the deal is with steel. I just assume there are too many potentially damaging types of ammo for the 5.7 that they just make a blanket rule about it. Seen it a couple places now but never asked why. I wouldn’t think 5.7 FMJ would be any worse that M193 out of a 20” barrel. But I don’t know.

1911 - capacity, ease of field stripping, and in my experience, lower reliability. The few I’ve played with all had stove piping problems, including mine. It’s really the only gun in my safe that pretty much never gets pulled out. Has a ton of sentimental value so I’ll never get rid of it. But definitely my least favorite to shoot.

wsmc 589 likes this.
  2. My indoor range doesnt allow any 5.7.

They have a huge sign right on the door as you go back there.

3. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Rock Island Ultra FS HC 10mm, 16+1, that low capacity is such a pain… Ease of field stripping ?? ( I’m reaching into my desk to grab a paper clip, send me your address, I’ll drop it in the mail) Easy to shoot well, my wife’s favorite to shoot despite the recoil.

That said, I have a 45 raptor barrel getting ordered that I need to pay for, anybody can PM me for details. 10mm Rock Island Ultra, Two mags, Fobus belt holster, Kenai chest holster, 300 rounds of Sig Sauer 180 gr FMJ.

4. treefiddy?

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Opinions on the Sig 365 XL with the Romeo Zero?

6. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

So just the ammo then…

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. Bought one last month and already put about 700-800 rounds through it.

Love it. Good ergos, small enough to conceal but big enough to fit ok in my hand, good capacity (I run the 15rnd mag), and very accurate.

It replaced the Hellcat OSP as my secondary EDC (behind the little Canik).

RRP likes this.
  8. redtailracing

I'm more referencing traditional 1911s. I'm well aware there are modernized versions of them and no one can deny the frequency they are used in comps. But once you start going double stack and other goodies, you're getting more into 2011 territory in my opinion, which I consider a different gun entirely. When someone says 1911, I think traditional single stack.

In terms of field stripping, I didn't say it was difficult. It's just not as simple as a lot of more modern designs. I can field strip my VP9 in about 5 seconds and could from the day I bought it. I can strip my 1911 without a tool but it's far easier with a 1911 tool and even then, it still takes a bit longer.

I don't hate 1911s. But the question asked was "which one?" and I gave my opinion accordingly knowing full well someone else would disagree and assuming the OP would take them all and form his own conclusion, accordingly.

9. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

You know you want it. It's a .308, and it comes in black.
    And you can get a paratrooper stock so you can fold it up and save the world at the park in a compact way.
    Go on, buttercup, live a little.

:D

#enabler #yourcash_notmine

10. :crackup:

11. wsmc 589

wsmc 589 Well-Known Member

Yeah the 5.7 will burn through 3A armor. I’ve shot that myself thru a bunch of old armor we had. Scary shit. However it’s suppose to stop and expand when it hits meat. Yeah 1911/2011 will never be as easy to field strip compared to striker fired pistols. However that’s also why they are so accurate. Get yourself a Dawson tool less guide rod and that task becomes way easier.

12. I could do a lot with that. :D

wsmc 589 likes this.
  13. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I would very much like to see that and the details. I have a hard time believing it. I know that speed is what kills armor. However, I'm looking at the avg fps of a 27gr round (40gr rounds are not as capable) and it's around 2350, assuming that's out of a 4" barrel. Shoot it out of a rifle and we gain some speed. Avg speed gain is 50fps per 1" of barrel. That puts it into average 5.56 speeds. A level 4 plate will stop 30 cal AP rounds, and easily 5.56 green tip (I know, not true AP), so I'd be confused if it could beat level 4. I'd love to see some data behind it.

14. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

15. wsmc 589

Well depends on what he means about AP. MSC 5.56 is not AP. So if he means M993 sure, but that’s very hard to procure and it’s not likely to be encountered. Now Level 4 typically is multi shot rated against 5.56 MSC since it is easily found.

16. redtailracing

If I remember, I'll try to look up some of the older stuff I'd read/watched before and post it up. The AP abilities I was posting was out of the rifle, not the pistol. I believe out of the P90 it's in the neighborhood of 3000 fps. I don't know a ton about ballistics but I'd also guess the slimmer profile "cuts" easier but I could be way off base with that. HK seemed to take a similar philosophy with their 4.6 round. Like I said, if I get some time later and remember, I'll try to dig up some of my old reading material.

17. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

Pretty much what GG said. Great little gun. Battery life on the Romeo Zero isn't spectacular and it is a weird size battery so stock up on those.

18. wsmc 589

Yeah I have some time behind the mp-7. It’s a very capable and that 4.6 round is designed to beat soft armor.

19. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Yo Broome,

Got a Delta Elite yet?

[​IMG]

My pistol wanna have list right now:

CZ Czech Mate
    Delta Elite
    Old P210
    Beligan Hi-Power
    Rino
    PPK

20. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I just got done casting and powder coating a couple of hundred bullets. some 260gr .452 and some 110gr .357. Now to load some more 45 Colt and some 9mm and 38 Special.