1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alabama parents - Driver Education

Discussion in 'General' started by RRP, Nov 16, 2021.

1. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

We spent last weekend looking at houses and job prospects in Alabama and with the new DE endorsement, I was curious :

How does Driver Education work Alabama?

In Illinois - the kids do Driver Ed in high school fresh/soph year under normal circumstances.

I know some states around us it’s private instruction type deal, but curious how Alabama does it.

thanks for an real world info.

M

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

"Happy 13th birthday, Bubba! Here's the keys to the pick up, a shot gun and a 24 pack of Busch, have fun!"

3. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

I think that’s the first time I’ve heard “Alabama” and “education” used that close together.

4. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Not for years, and years.

Pretty much like most other states. My son took it 10th grade.
    This is the private school run down, public school mirrors it. Not sure what county you are locating to, but some here, I’d definitely recommend the private school route.

http://www.alea.gov/dps/driver-license/private-high-school-driver-traffic-safety-education-program

5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Funny story. My mom had a boyfriend from Alabama. Near Eastaboga. When we would go visit his parents there, they would give me a 16ga, 410, .22 and a full sized Ford tractor. The instructions were, try to stay on our mountain, don't shoot the cows. Occasionally I would drive the tractor, with a gun, down the highway to go hunting somewhere. I was 8,9,10 at that time.

As far as DE goes, our kids here in SC took a private driving course over a weekend. I think Andrew found a cute girl to flirt with while he was in class.

Phl218 likes this.
  6. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I've heard that they can't offer Driver's Ed and Sex Ed in the same semester because they only have one mule and don't want to wear it out.

7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Thanks for all the replies (and the tutorial on southern humor).

Let me clarify - I have my Driver Education Endorsement on my teaching credentials now, so was curious as to how Alabama does it in the public schools.

FYI - I do have calls and emails into the Alabama Dept of Education inquiring about this also, just figured the BBS may have some insight as well.

tks
    M

8. 88/532

What county, and high school may I ask.

9. bluebandit2g

bluebandit2g Well-Known Member

In Enterprise, AL they offer Drivers Ed in High School as an elective course. Take test, drive with a teacher etc. Been doing that for many many years here.

10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Without the words "no", "lacking", or "worst".

11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

We are looking in the Gulf Shores area. Family has moved there this past year, so seems the most reasonable place to start.

12. 88/532

Baldwin County, not bad as far as public schools go in Alabama. Look into the Fairhope area.

gy999r and RRP like this.
  13. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Thanks for the tip.

Family landed in Summerdale which I believe is same/similar area as Fairhope.

14. 88/532

Summerdale is Foley high school. Fairhope high school is a better choice…imo. Good luck with it and welcome.

RRP likes this.
  15. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

You have to watch 10 Dukes of Hazard Episodes to drive with a guardian. 15 to go free range. Unless you are on a quad or golf cart.

16. mcarter

mcarter Well-Known Member

Same in Madison County

17. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Holy sh!t, I can't wait to use this at Thanksgiving with the wife's family in Auburn. LOL Thank you!

18. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

Mark, I live in Baldwin county. Lemme know if I can help. Summerdale is about 20 minutes from Fairhope. It's very small and pretty much country or you live on the river. Fairhope is ritzy..lots of shopping and restaurants, etc. Very expensive in comparison. Some of Summerdale is zoned for Elberta High School which is a newer good school. You can look up addresses and verify here http://apps.schoolsitelocator.com/?districtcode=15062

RRP likes this.
  19. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Mark,
    1. Get out of IL as soon as possible. The school based politics will kill you.
    2. Move to the gulf area of AL since Clarice and I are thinking that we might like to spend a couple of winter months in that area.
    3. Don't get too close to FL since that is where Robby-bobby is.

Phl218 and RRP like this.
  20. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

4-10 And remember you left IL for a reason. Watch the locals and don't say '____ we did it_____ way'

Phl218 and RRP like this.