1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meat slicers

Discussion in 'General' started by motoracer1100, Nov 15, 2021.

1. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

I’m just trying to replicate at home , a good Chicago Beef Sammi .. cuz there are no places in either Traverse City or anywhere near Homosassa/ Crystal River to buy one . Which is unbelievable to me .... it’s a taste treat that a good portion of these populations can’t experience

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Rumor has it the packaging is more flavorful than the contents ;)

motoracer1100 likes this.
  3. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

I worked in a commercial kitchen for a few years, I would get shivers down my spine every time I had to use the slicer because you cleaned the equipment you had to use and cleaning one is scarier than using one.

After 4 years of culinary school you saw close to one major injury from a slicer every semester.

RichB and TurboBlew like this.
  4. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Worked at a deli many years ago and managed to fuck myself up rushing to clean the damn thing at closing time. Shit happens really fast with those things.

5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Places are always going out of business. Scan eBay or CL for a used commercial unit. Many will require, at most, a little cleaning and you'll be good to go.

Good luck finding a place in the kitchen to store it when not in use, yet easy to pull out when you do need it.

motoracer1100 and cxd10 like this.
  6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

This. But the used good ones might run you up to double that now.

and slicers are less dangerous to me then a dull or badly sharpened knife. Use the guide, keep your hands and fingers out of the way and DO NOT let your guard down even for a fraction of a second when using a slicer.

7. cxd10

cxd10 Well-Known Member

Italian beefs? Just fyi, many of the cheepo consumer types don't get thin enough to do it right. There was a Golden Panties gas station down the road that had a deli, I could bring my super rare sirloin roasts in and she would slice it up for me. They have since closed and Ive been on the hunt for a used/broken Hobart style. Good luck

motoracer1100 likes this.
  8. Jim

Jim Know your grids...

[​IMG]There ya go $9.78...Amazon

9. motoracer1100

:crackup:Jim ... Jim .. JIM .. I’d sooner eat arsenic than Spam ...

10. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

11. motoracer1100

I’m pretty sure that means removal / changing blades . Apparently some are difficult to accomplish this

12. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I fear a slicer more - it's quieter.

Hmmmmm....going to make more brisket this weekend, wonder how a mandolin would work?

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Used restaurant supply place, should be plenty of equipment out there right now.

15. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

It won't. Maybe if you freeze the brisket and try to shave it.

16. motoracer1100

Great idea .. I just found one . It’s about double what I wanted to spend , but about 45% cheaper than new . Bad news is , it reminded me that I want a Salamander for the house up north and those are stupid money also ..

edit: 55%cheaper than new

17. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Anything that’s NSF rated for commercial kitchen use is going to pull a premium.

They don’t depreciate beyond a certain point, be it 2 or 20 years old.

18. thunderalley3

thunderalley3 Well-Known Member

Mongo, as scared as I was of slicers I never cut myself on one, I wish I could say that about mandolins. They are another piece of kitchen equipment that should be respected as well as feared. I have a great story of a first year culinary student getting busted washing the blood off carrots she was slicing with a mandolin :eek:

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah I figured it wouldn't work, not enough structure. I'll stick with the knife, it's turning out so tender that thick is fine for sammiches.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I treat them the same. I know I've gotten a scratch or two on a slicer (as someone else mentioned - when cleaning the damned things), only serious cuts have been knives. I treat my mandolin and food processor blades like they're possessed looking to chop off an entire digit.