1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meat slicers

Discussion in 'General' started by motoracer1100, Nov 15, 2021.

1. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Thinking of getting a meat slicer for the house . Not looking for a crazy high dollar commercial unit , but some decent in the $250. Or so range .. what have you guys got?

2. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Don’t own any knives then? :D

3. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Paging Lorena Bobbitt, what say you.:D

969, R Acree and Gorilla George like this.
  4. Damnit I was coming here just to say this! :crackup:

R Acree and R1M370 like this.
  5. motoracer1100

Damn.. 3 clowns right out of the gate :crackup:... I’m looking to thin slice beef for some hot Beef Sammi’s.. you can’t do that with a knife .

cxd10 likes this.
  6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Just don’t get caught with your dick in the meat slicer. You’ll get fired. She will, too

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You must be new here if you didn't know that would happen.

8. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Look for a used commercial unit. It's probably going to cost about $500. The little homeowner things they sell in the outdoor catalogs for hunters don't get the job done. If you want to be able to slice things really thin, larger cuts (bacon slabs, etc) then you need a 10 to 12 inch blade with some horsepower behind it. If you are patient you will sometimes find them cheaper but needing work. I got my Berkel for $260 from someone whose restaurant went under, and they didn't want to pay storage for all the stuff anymore.

And remember that they will slice whatever comes in contact with the blade, whether that is the ham you want sliced, or your fingertips. I think I'm more scared of my slicer than I am of my table saw.

9. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

10. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

My experience echoes elvee's -- this does not exist. Go big or go home.

I am not sure I fear my slicer more than my tablesaw, but I do think it's about even. :beer:

R Acree likes this.
  11. motoracer1100

No one with a knife is as good as nice quality meat slicer , you can’t slice it thin enough with a knife . I did google before posting this thread . And saw that was the number one rated unit on Amazon.. however there were too many negative ratings for my liking and a utube video that showed it breaking after a short first time usage ... that why I thought spending more than $ 75-150 range might get me a better unit ... please post up pictures of your thin slicing meat abilities with your Magic Knife . So I can forward the diploma or trophy of your choice :D

12. motoracer1100

Definitely not shocked.. I know the Drill .. let the lonely house guys , get their frustrations out in the open and just patiently wait to see if anyone actually has one that they would recommend... I’m a pretty Sarcastic S.O.B. Myself and enjoy the comedy :D

13. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

You can slice Jamón thinly when it's cradled in a purpose-built rack with a very sharp and flexible purpose-built knife. If you want thin beef for Au jus style or cheeesteaks or whatever (for goddamn sake don't call them "Sammi's"; that's just gay) pony up.
    220px-Despaña_jamon_carving.jpg

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Used to work in a deli back in college....they were the bomb, I can see why anyone would want one. And I even took a sliver out of the tip of my right index finger with one and I still think they're awesome.

15. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

My buddy Bob Sacamano can help. Let me see if i can get ahold of him.

[​IMG]

pfhenry, wsmc42, Ducati89 and 3 others like this.
  16. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

17. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you should just by some packages of Steakums. :D

18. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Dadgumit...just how much room do youse guys have so that you can accumulate all this clap trap? I'm just jealous I'd love to have one but only if I had an industrial kitchen to set it up in.

19. motoracer1100

That’s dog food

TurboBlew likes this.
  20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

at least table saws have guards and guide poles... a deli meat cutter gives me the willies along with the accompanying chills. From the ominous hum the motor makes to the ease in which it can remove digits.