1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KLX140 tires/wheels etc

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by RRP, Aug 4, 2020.

1. PeaPod

PeaPod Well-Known Member

'nuther dumb/inexperienced question, what size tube for a rear 110/90-16? I cannot seem to find a tube that size, and I am not familiar enough with the conversion to the metric size. Any hints?

I purchased a 2.75-3.00 tube, but it looks a bit small. I could be wrong and maybe it will fill in Ok.

Also, use a rim lock or not?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
  2. Toadmeister00

Toadmeister00 Well-Known Member

You might be one size small on the tube. It will probably "fill in" just fine. I have been using 2.25/2.50-17 tubes with 95 or 100 slicks for years without issue.

I believe the common set-up is to use a 2.75/3.00-16 tube with the 100 front tires, and a 3.25/3.50-16 tube with the 110 rears.

You don't need the rim lock with street tires.

3. PeaPod

PeaPod Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Went out and got a 3.25-3.50 tube and proceeded to pinch it when installing. So used the 2.75-3.00 and I'll see how it holds up. Gonna get a spare in case.

4. Toadmeister00

Toadmeister00 Well-Known Member

That's not so uncommon, I freakin' HATE tubes. I converted my stuff over to tubeless last year, and wish I had done it long before then.

5. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Looking for advice on BT46s (newest version of the BT45) on stock KLX 140L wheels.

I did a few sessions a bit ago at my local kart track, and I am struggling to get the tires worn in. The little nubs on the tires are both still present. It was a colder day (high in the 60s), and tire pressure was at 20 psi front/rear.

Is there a trick to getting these tires worn in a bit? I had a lowside spill early on in the day, so I was taking it a bit easy on lean angle for the rest of the sessions, but I'm surprised I can't seem to get these tires to wear down at all.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

are you getting heat into them? I cant imagine the compound changing much from old to new version... Maybe go to a lower pressure.

7. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Not a lot. The rear I can get some heat into. The front is lukewarm coming off the track. I'll try lower pressures. I was a bit worried about going below 20 psi with tubes.

8. TurboBlew

I would make sure the valve stem isnt tight to the rim. Leave ~ 5mm for it to move. Also did you powder the tubes/tire prior to install?

9. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

My buddy mounted the tires for me, but he did use powder, yeah.

10. TurboBlew

ok just make sure the valve stem has some give at the rim... thats usually where they pinch or tear.

Senna likes this.
  11. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Thanks man!

12. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Got out on the KLX for a few hours yesterday. Temp was 50-53 degrees and sunny, with a bit of wind. I have stock wheels and BT46s.

I ran the rear at 19 PSI with good results. Tires had some warmth to them coming off the track. The front took a bit of work to get warmth into. I finally settled at 17 PSI cold, but even then I didn’t fully trust the front to carry much lean angle. There were only 1-2 corners I felt I needed more lean angle, so it didn’t hurt me too much.

I wish there was an easy 16” front wheel swap for the KLX. I think the bike would feel great then.