1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tow vehicle question, seeking advice

Discussion in 'General' started by Quick6RR, Oct 6, 2021.

1. Quick6RR

Quick6RR Well-Known Member

I just acquired my race license and looking to grab a small toy hauler to bring the family along on race trips. The only issue is our tow vehicle. I currently have a 2013 Ford Explorer with a max tow capacity of an embarrassing 2500lbs, but it gets the job done with my current track day setup (5x12 open utility trailer carrying bike and gear). The toy hauler we're looking at has a dry weight of 2750lbs (max 5200lbs). I wanted to share my vehicle options and get some opinions on which would be more cost effective in the long run. My wife and I currently share the Explorer as I work in law enforcement and rarely need to drive it. The dilemma, get a newer vehicle with payments as a family vehicle with added towing duties (used 2015ish Toyota 4Runner, approx $25-30k, financed w/ payments), or get a separate truck for towing duties only (2005ish Ford F150, $7-9K, no payments).

For those who have been there, would it make more sense to get a newer vehicle for the family that does everything but costs more upfront, or get a second vehicle solely for towing?

Would the upfront costs for the newer vehicle outweigh potential repair costs over the older truck?

Thanks.

2. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

i dont see a F350 or 3500 super duty dually on your list. ergo, your list is wrong.

seriously though- i would get the truck with no payments for towing only and keep the exploder for the daily driver. assuming the exploder is paid off.

Knotcher, Quick6RR and 5axis like this.
  3. bitorius

bitorius Active Member

I have a Tacoma SR 4x4 I4 (yeah, the 4 cylinder) for going solo to the track. I have a Tundra Limited for towing more than one bike with creature comforts and my wife and brother.

I don't wanna piss anyone off, and make it harder than it needs to be. I do enjoy my Tacoma's 22 mpg though.

Quick6RR likes this.
  4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I would prefer two vehicles.

Quick6RR and bitorius like this.
  5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

If parking isn't an issue get the truck, but try to build up a slush fund as it will need repairs.
    So will that toy hauler in all likelihood.

Quick6RR likes this.
  6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Wish you the best of luck used truck shopping... Id rather get an appendage amputated.
    Im floored how book values have people believing they can get what they paid for their 6 year old diesel with 120,000 on it. ACV $23,000 Book $44,000 lol I guarantee none are "new" condition either. Wait til you see whats <$10,000... woof

Quick6RR likes this.
  7. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

What’s the wife’s opinion?

TurboBlew, Boman Forklift and 418 like this.
  8. Quick6RR

I like the F150 because it has a 8000lb towing capacity, 4x4 and relatively cheap. I’d still look at other good options though! So you don’t think having one good all around vehicle would eliminate costs in the long run (the exploder is paid off)?

9. Quick6RR

She loves the Explorer and she’s in no hurry to get rid of it. We paid it off last year and it’s fully loaded. She also likes the idea of having a truck, but that has more to do with the toy hauler and camping lol..

10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

How have you stayed at the track previously? Asking because a lot of people have been in your shoes, bought a TH, and then realized that their family really doesn't want to go to the track with them.........might make sense to try out hotels for a bit before committing.

11. Quick6RR

Is it a pain maintaining everything?

12. Quick6RR

I haven’t stayed the night yet, I live really close to the local track so I haven’t needed to. I plan to start traveling to tracks several hours away though.

13. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

What about renting a tow vehicle?

If you're not tracking a lot doesn't make a lot of sense buying in

Or pay local buddy and ride with him....be way ahead of the game as far as cost goes

Quick6RR likes this.
  14. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

When tou say "family"... are you talking wife only... or wife and kid(s)?
    I have forced my wife to sleep in the back of a Jeep Commander with just some cushions and pillows while doing a track weekend.
    She has never complained.
    But I have since picked up a 30' 5th wheel TH that I pull with my Ram 2500.
    So now we are both sleeping like king/queen.

Quick6RR likes this.
  15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I’d go the hotel route for the first several and see how the family feels about long road trips to places so daddy can ride his motorcycle.

But if you’re dead set on it, I’d consolidate down to one vehicle instead of two.

Quick6RR likes this.
  16. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

While the F 150 fits the bill for towing, avoid the 5.4 3 valve Triton like the plague.

Often picked just behind the Cadillac Northstar as the worst engine of all time

Quick6RR likes this.
  17. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Every home owner NEEDS a truck. Get a truck that can tow and go to HD/Lowes/Goodwill/flea markets (haul her new fridge) etc......

18. Phl218

Phl218 .

Quick6RR, DmanSlam and TurboBlew like this.
  19. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Cheap real pickup is the winning option here. I'd avoid older F150's with mod motors though. Either they are reliable and gutless [the 4.6] or they are good enough and crap [the 5.4]

Quick6RR likes this.
  20. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Two vehicles, another option is an older exploder with the V8, cheaper than a truck. The 95- 2001 had the 5.0 bullet proof motor.

bored&stroked and Quick6RR like this.