race fuel and why?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by tony715, Jun 15, 2004.

1. tony715

tony715 Well-Known Member

just wanted to get some input on the use of race fuel. when i bought my old f3 the guy i bought from told me to mix 50/50 with turbo blue or equal.

i have since picked up an f4i and this pass weekend mixed 1 gallon of vp to 5 gallon of 93 from the pump.

the 2'0 flame that is was shooting out the exhaust was eliminated. (so i was told)

so....

i went on the vp website to see about getting some fuel and realized that they sell a bunch of different stuff.

my question is:

what does everyone use and where do you buy from. the stuff i picked up at a local BP near the drag strip was the 105 octane red.

don't know if the fuel had anything to do with it but i ran better lap times the bike felt like it had alot more power.

any input would be appreciated

thanks

tony
    wera#697
    :beer:

2. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

It's called the placebo effect.:D "Normal" race gas (as opposed to the oxygenated stuff) makes no more power than pump gas. The high dollar blends do make a bit more, which may matter if you're within a couple of seconds of the lap record. Unless you're in that league, put some 91 octane pump gas in it and go race.

3. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

cause it smells so good...

(I use 93 myself - and that's getting damned expensive these days!)

4. Zanyeights

Zanyeights Well-Known Member

I am with Joe on this one.

I go with the Tray Batey principle. Here it is. Every year for the past few years they always post the wieght and HP numbers for the Suzuki Cup bikes. Every year for sure Tray wins the SV/TLR (big twin) class and has in the past I believe won others. In every case I have ever witnessed...he is NEVER on the lightest bike or with the most HP (usually at least 3-4 hp...hmmm about what race gas says it will give me). Not to say that I have even 1/10 of the talent Tray Has but I figure the money spent on race fuel is not worth the lack of talent I have to properly use the race fuel and/or vice versa. I would like to think that when it does come together I just have to ride that 2%-4% better just to beat my opponent. In general, if I can't run with the big dogs, race gas isn't going to help me!

If your bike doesn't need it (due to high compression) I have never felt a need to run it. I had close to 30 podium finishes (won 6) on my Superstock SV in 2002. I was pretty happy and fairly sure that the money I saved buying $1.65 gallon high test probably bought me a set of tires or two.

5. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

VP C12 is a great all around fuel.But prices have just gone up, so there are things to consider.U4 might be the best all around choice.
    How consistant of a rider are you?
    If you have reached the point where your laps times have dropped as far as the are going to go, and you feel your bike is set up properly,you are riding it to as close to it's limits,and need the edge, it's time to step up to race fuel.
    If not, track time, school, and most important setup are the main concerns. if your bike is not running properly on pump, have is tuned for it.

6. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

But Ryan,you might have picked up the .25 second by running a properly tuned bike on race fuel.
    Tray uses U4 that Vesrah purchases from me:)

7. GSXR600

GSXR600 Well-Known Member

Depending on your compression, time advance, etc the race fuel you buy that the pump may have helped your bike produce more power since it is tuned for that octane.

Otherwise, yea its in your head. Higher octane does not always equal more power, its the burn rate of the fuel, etc.

8. Zanyeights

Zanyeights Well-Known Member

The point with Tray was that he wins with less power.

I am not sure that 3-4hp will give me a quarter sec a lap. I don't think I ride that far on the edge. :) If I did I would win a helluva lot more!

Last year I was chastised my a Marine Major (Provost Marshall for the base) as he thought he saw me on my RC51 out in town riding fast and on the edge of out of control. The alledged situation he described I was immediately exonerated of as my wife testified that I didn't even ride like that on the track and if I did I would probabaly win more races!! lol Blow to the pride but it got me off the hook with my boss.

Turns out it was a 2nd LT that lived down the street from me who had an RC51 with a black jacket and black helmet who committed the offense.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2004
  9. tony715

first, thanks for all the input.

let me give you guys a little more.

on pump gas (93 octane) i shoot about a 1 foot flame out the tail piece. i had the bike dynoed when i put the power commander and erion full exhaust on to check the fuel curve and the tech said the bike was running good but there was a little dip around 4500-5000.

i only tried the vp due to the fact that i bought an opld f3 and the guy ran a 50/50 mix (93 and turbo blue). i figured i would through a little in and see what happened. i ran 1 gallon to 4 gallon of 93 at the pump.

it may be in my head, but i ran the best i ever have and i had my brother in law keep an eye on the flame issue. it was happening when i down shifted going into 10 at summit main. it was gone. so i am guessing the smal amount helped the fuel burn quicker?

lastly, it smells good, bike felt good, and the tail pipe turned white. so even if it's in my head it's just another step towards playing racer on the weekend.

i guess my last question is will this small amount a race fuel do any damage to a stock motor?

thanks to all

tony
    wera #697

:beer:

10. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

No it will not hurt your engine.
    Last season, we would mix U4 at 3:1 ratio for our endurance races.For pratice we ran pump.
    For a test, I told my rider to bing in in after he got up to speed in pratice.
    The tank was near empty.I poured straight MR1 in.Did not tell the rider.We did nothing else to the bike.Next session, he picked up close to a second off his times.
    If you have everything else set, and can afford it,run race fuel.
    After rebuilding both engines that we used pump for pratice, and race for the actual race,and that's 4,6, and 8 hours, and rebuilding one that runs only on race fuel, I can tell you I will not run pump in my engines again.

11. tony715

cool!

i may try to mix a little more in there and see if there is a difference

thanks again

tony

12. Speedracer27

Speedracer27 Member

I have always found that the bike runs a lot "crisper" with Race fuel. And as far as aromatherapy, you can't beat the smell. I think the smell alone makes me go a second faster. :)
    A question for you "Blueridge" I have some VP red sitting around (5 gal) form 5 years ago or so. It's still in a sealer drum. Is at any good for Road Racing (4stk bikes). I used it with my MX bikes, and it was worth every penny. Seems like U4 is the new hot fuel. What is the going rate $$$?
    THX
    Speedracer 27

13. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

The price is getting out of hand. I have not recieved my current prices, bt as of 6/1/04 I belive U4 is $60 for 5gal. I have never heard of any VP going bad, but you might want to test a small amount first.

14. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

Does VP pay contingency? Does Exxon/Mobil, BP/Amoco, Texaco/Shell, Citgo, et al.? Maybe you could use the race fuel to win (or at least get on the box), get contingency and make up the initial cost difference?

Whatever happened to Nutec?

-Wish

15. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Cindy pays the VP contengency with help from VP. No other fuel that I'm aware of has contengency.
    Nutec---out of business from what I hear, some of the principals are coming out with another fuel.

16. Speedracer27

Speedracer27 Member

What do you know about VP red in 4 stk machines. Is it still manufactured? I rememebr Nu-Tech was trick about 5 years ago, but apparently didn't last. Do you bring thr fuel to tracks with you. Are you in the Northern-Central regioan at all? How can I get my hands on a 10-15 gal of U4?

17. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Red is 105 Motor Octane.Non-Oxygenated. It still is a good seller.I run WERA Nationals, and next is Grattan 7/16. You could check with Mark[bilet69] if you need it sooner.

18. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

I would think the year old race gas qould be fine. Part of what you are paying for in race gas is more stabilizers to assure it will stay good since it is made and sold in smaller quantities than pump gas.

19. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

Nutec guy is at all the AMA races I have been to:) he has a much smaller truck than the VP guys.....:)