1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need a new handgun...lets talk guns today. :D

Discussion in 'General' started by Kris87, Mar 17, 2010.

1. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Anyone have an SilencerCo Omega 36M? I like the idea of a can that could work with a .223, 9mm, and with my 338 Fed hunting rifles. Silencershop or Silencer Central doesn’t seem to have a good option for my 338 Fed. Most 338 compatible cans are built to 338LM specs which I do not need, or want.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  2. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

I had the Omega big bore which did anything up to 300 win mag I believe and looooved it.

3. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Can you purchase online relatively easily through SilencerCo? The link to their guide is not working. I sent them a note.

4. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Don’t buy from these guys I’ve been reading about some BS and them

Silencer shop , esilencers ( he’s in TN and can ship to your house) , or local shop

thunder beast,dead air, silencer co, Q are all good brands.

I go for 7” suppressors . They aren’t as quiet as 9” but you don’t have a big ass can on the end. My 9” is never used even though I can’t tell the difference in the woods when I’m walking or hunting … it just looks…. Off

Gorilla George likes this.
  5. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

Its been a while but $850 seems about right, did it drop in price recently? https://www.silencershop.com/silencers/7-62mm-rifle/dead-air-sandman-s.html

6. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

@Gorilla George watch this
    I feel like supressors are gonna drive you batty as its finicky on working with certain set ups. Check out these also as its such cool technology, none of that blowback bs and the US military gave it a thumbs up https://osssuppressors.com/ The titanium can for the 556 is really that much lighter and doesnt weight the front down as much

Triple X and Gorilla George like this.
  7. So there is a DeadAIR option in 5.4", and 6.8".

Will the shorter one still be sufficient?

Assuming I like it, the Banshee could likely end up being my primary home defense weapon...which means the shorter and lighter i can keep it, the better. If a 5.4" will be good enough, that is what I will go with. If not, then ill go for the 7".

8. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I’ve never heard of a 300 RUM until clicking the link for the silencer.

9. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I need to fly over to CHA and just let you try out all mine because I've been so crazy OCD about weight and balance and also to set expectations on how much they silence. I hunt and shoot only suppressed now so it's worth it to me. Also need to look into Direct thread vs muzzle brake.

I'm thinking about the Thunderbeast Ultra 5, it's their shorty can, only because I have like 5-6 other suppressors. I have a long range gun with a heavy scope that the 5" could help reduce noise and recoil but not make the rifle unbalanced. AR's don't really feel the weight of suppressor like the bolt guns btw. The Dead air sandman K I think is their shorty. From what I've heard 5" suppressors take the edge off the gun but only in my hearsay opinion, for a first suppressor, they maybe disappointing. Shooting sub sonic I have no idea with the short ones.

www. YouTube. com/watch?v=vF1yFfueC_0

If I were to go back in time and be one and done I'd go with
    https://www.esilencers.com/product/thunderbeast-ultra-7-cb-30/

Esilencers photo is the Gen one but they are selling the Gen 2 which is below
    https://www.milehighshooting.com/thunder-beast-ultra-7-suppressor-gen-2-30-cal/

10. It is cool that the esilencer dude is in TN. But for all intents and purposes, it doesnt really help me as far as the process goes. Even though he is in TN, his shop is still 7hrs away. So it would all still need to be done remotely.

Direct thread vs muzzle brake, which is better and why?

Or is one or the other not necessarily "better", and it depends on the application?

I want the easiest and quickest solution. I want to order it, have it show up, screw it on, and go. Anything more than that and ill say fuck it. :D

prm likes this.
  11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Here's something I was pondering (especially with all the suppressor talk this last couple pages)....as it pertains to home defense what is the typical strategy people would employ to keep their hearing protected in that scenario?

Obviously you have an intruder in your house your main priority is not making sure your ears don't get blown out if you have to start firing, but I'd imagine most aren't grabbing earplugs and popping them in as you're grabbing your piece.....not to mention you want to be able to hear exactly who/what/where is going on. NJ as you probably imagined banned the use of not only flash but sound suppressors.

Thoughts?

12. TLRSKUNK

TLRSKUNK New to this Track crap

Look into doing Form1 Cans if that's what you want.
    The Omega 36M is a great can.
    I work for a dealer in MN and have a few personally plus have demo'ed all the more popular ones.

Quicktoy and Gorilla George like this.
  13. Assuming the intrusion happens at night, I will be fine. I have slept with earplugs in my entire adult life.

My vision sucks, but my hearing is perfect (literally, I flat line nail the earing test every year). I have to sleep with earplugs, and with the "White Noise" app going on my phone sitting beside me, or I will never sleep. If the ice machine drops a cube, if a car drives by, a dog barking down the road, just anything will wake me up.

14. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

Silencershop.com. Silencerco doesn’t sell to general public.

15. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Big, brutal round. A friend shoots ELR with a 338 Edge, with is a 300RUM necked up to 338.

speedluvn likes this.
  16. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I have both direct thread and muzzle adapters and I like the muzzle adapters best. You can put the adapter on your barrel and torque to spec and it’s there until you work to take it off. Then the suppressor with have some sort of locking mechanism, taper, latching etc. That way you don’t have to worry about the can working lose. My direct threaded ones I’m constantly checking. I’m also of the mind set each can has its own gun and that gun doesn’t get shot without the can. And that can will not be placed on another gun. As for size it’s about what your trying to accomplish. All my canned guns can be shot comfortably without ear plugs. The supersonic stuff is going to be heard so I have a 5” can on my 12.5” 5.56 and it’s great. I put a longer (6”) quieter can on my 300 subsonic because I wanted it very quiet and the barrel is shorter so the balance worked out very good. My 6.5 has a 9” but it allows the barrel to ride about 4” into the body so it’s overall feel is very small for such a great can. Once you get started it’s hard to stop. I’m not to Steak Travis status yet, many rifles still not suppressed but I’m up to 8 cans in just a few years.

Triple X and Gorilla George like this.
  17. Ah shit, I can already feel Ive opened up another rabbit hole to go down. As if I didnt spend enough on guns and ammo already.

speedluvn and Triple X like this.
  18. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Gotta say I'm pretty shocked that you would consider going thru the hassle, but if you're gonna do it- might as well make a day of it and and put in paperwork for 20 of them...

I'll agree with others that it wasn't *that* painful a process. Personally, it's the $200 and the principal of the thing that stops me from buying a bunch more.

speedluvn and Triple X like this.
  19. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

858E5B30-18DC-47AB-B840-520E60CBE446.jpg
    And I must say for a guy that goes to the gun shop as often as I go to the gas station I’m surprised your not wanting to find a class 3 in your area.

20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

You go to the gas station 5x a week?

rice r0cket and Gorilla George like this.