1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dirt bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Wheel Bearing, Oct 27, 2015.

Tags:
  1. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

That's pretty much how it is always with husky and ktm because they the the 1/2 year special bikes it's awesome and annoying at the same time:crackup:

TurboBlew likes this.
  2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The 2022 Honda has 13/50 sprockets, the 2021 has 13/48. Without specs on the actual transmission ratios, you can't really make an assumption on what the overall gearing is gonna do for the bike. My casual search for those internal gear specs revealed nothing.

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

not familiar with late model honda's, but am with the 2002-2008 generation crf450.. gearbox was same all years, came early with 13/50, but the 2002 was a monster bike. as years went on, before FI in 2009, they tried taming the 450 a bit. Smaller exhaust valves, longer but narrower header on the muffler, and at some point in 06 or so, went to 13/48 to take the massive "hit" outa the 450. In 2008, it got a timing reduction sensor that plugged into the transmission shift shaft. in the 1st 3 gears, it retarded timing. You could bypass this, by shifting the bike to FOURTH gear, pulling the sensor out from in front of the shift shaft, remove the small dowel pin that fit into the shift mechanism, and putting the sensor back in. The bike then was in 4th gear all the time. it was a LOT more bottom end, too much if you ask me. I had 2 big crashes in the woods, on the 2002 crf450 that required hardware in my bones. the 2008 was way easier to ride, i mistakenly did the above mod for a harescramble, and 10 minutes into the race, knew i'd made a mistake.. lol !

rice r0cket likes this.
  4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The new bikes appear to have gear-specific engine tuning. I understand it to mean each gear has a different map. There's also launch control, three mode settings and traction control.
    WTH?

5. MELK-MAN

the TC is incredibly basic, it's just retarding timing a bit in some or (not sure) all gears.

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Has anyone had any failures with plastic skid plates? I've run enduro engineering aluminum skid plates on my 525EXC and 400EXC for years. Ive only had one issue, that was kind of a crazy failure. I crashed in a creek, and a rock caught the bump out on the stator cover where the wire comes out. It hit down the length of the bike, rather than a sideways impact, which flexed the cover by one of the bolts and cracked it. Otherwise, I haven't had any issues, other than not wanting to remove the plate for cleanings. I've found the screws that connect it to the bottom of the frame seem easy to strip out, so I don't want to constantly take it apart, for fear of wearing those threads out.

I just got a 2021 KTM 500 xcfw and need to add some protection. I was considering an easily removable plastic skidplate and possibly the following engine guards:
    https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/...ignition-clutch-cover-kit-p?s=1562145&v=17525

I haven't had it on a trail yet, but I can't believe how strong the motor feels on this 500 with just a Dobeck tuner and opened up exhaust tip. It hits so much harder than my 400 and feels drastically lighter too. I can't wait for my first actual ride.

7. spoon32

spoon32 Huh???

I have always used plastic or composite skid plates because I prefer the "cushioning" they provide over aluminum. One bike has a plastic skid plate on it with 7yrs of use and there are no cracks or holes. It definitely shows it's use though!

cBJr likes this.
  8. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

Are you in the midwest / Chicagoland area? Try that new 500 out at the Summer Bummer Sprint Enduro Saturday in Roselawn. As for the skid plates I think they are a pain in the ass for the exact reason you mentioned. Shit gets caught up in them and its hard to clean under / around it. Unless you are riding really rocky terrain I really don't think a skid plate is necessary.

Here's the flyer for the sprint enduro Saturday and the real enduro Sunday. The sprint Enduro is ran kind of like a hare scramble

http://www.midwestenduros.com/Flyers/2021 Flyers/HG2021.jpg

upload_2021-8-11_13-15-43.png

cBJr likes this.
  9. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I'm down in KY but usually don't mind traveling. Unfortunately, this weekend is booked for me.

There's always decent sized rocks where I ride, it seems. I can't see riding without a plate.

10. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Do you ride at saddleback?

11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Yeah, do ya???

12. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Isn’t saddleback a members only club? I haven’t been there tho. Do you (or your hype man) ride there? Most often, I ride redbird or s-tree.

13. eggfooyoung

It is. Pettit and I are both members tho. I'm there a few times a month, if you want to ride sometime.

14. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Very cool. I’d love to try it out. Can you buy just a day pass there?

15. MELK-MAN

if ya go with a plastic skid plate, and it only has 1 little bolt in front that holds it to a bracket (and the rear just fit in without bolts).. drill holes on either side, and use zip ties to hold to frame, or somewhere. Lost a couple of them over the years, bolt still there.. just pulled through. done. Plastic has advantages, and disadvantages :)

cBJr likes this.
  16. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Headed to Turkey Bay next weekend...come play and say hey... we will be camped on the beach... 120252941_329333768293171_9040191208755730412_o.jpg

cBJr likes this.
  17. eggfooyoung

No, you have to be with a member.

cBJr likes this.
  18. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I’d love to but the next few weekend are booked for me.

19. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Looking for some advice on a dirt bike purchase. I'm relatively new to dirt bikes and most of my experience has been on WR400. While not ideal, I have done a few hare scrambles with it. That has taught me I need a new bike. Right now trying to decide between a KTM 300 XC TPI or waiting a few weeks for the 350 XCF-W. Usage here in NE Ohio would be tight singletrack, plenty of rocks and plenty of mud. Also some more wide open side by side trails. I've heard great things about both and either will be a major upgrade from what I have. My main reason for choosing these two is they both have good reviews and they are both available locally either now or very soon.

My heart is telling me to go with the 2-stroke but I'm just wondering if there are any other factors I should be taking into consideration.

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I don't see either as a bad decision?