MotoAmerica | Geico-Motorcyle Speedfest at Monterey | Laguna Seca July 9-11

Discussion in 'General' started by RossK6, Jul 7, 2021.

1. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

MotoAmerica is doing everything as it should. They smartly realized that no one cares for this shit and found another set of "bike fans" to market too. We are lucky to even have a series, have you guys forgotten 2014?

YamahaRick, jd41, sheepofblue and 2 others like this.
  2. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

She is only 13 years old.

I would imagine the FIM Yamaha R3 bLU cRU European Cup is about as close to "world level championship" you can get when you're 13 years old.

Would it have hurt to have mentioned her and given her 15 seconds of air time?

3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

No, what happened?

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

CEV Moto 3 is literally called a junior world championship. I don't think R3 Cup is there yet.

FastByKids and 418 like this.
  5. 418

418 Expert #59

I mean from what it sounds like, she did get 15 seconds of air time.

I was more referring to my comment about world championship riders from US right now.

6. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

Doesn't it have a minimum age requirement of 14 years old?

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't know but that sounds reasonable and I'll take your word for it.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What audience are you talking about? The ones riding or the ones watching at the track or on tv? The only ones the audience of spectators cares about are the fancy big ass teams - on the whole. They're also the ones any outside sponsors care about. Now those of us who are more hardcore fans of course like underdogs and rooting for our friends, but they don't sell tickets or commercial time on the shows.

What you're doing with your kids is exactly how to go about it if you're looking at long term success in the sport. It's exactly how the successful riders here and abroad have done it. Those who run out of money chasing the pro dream too soon disappear. Going pro right away because you can is a great ego stroke but it hurts the riders long term. We have too much travel and too much expense being pro here compared to any single Euro country, you just can't compare the two. Our club racing is more comparable just due to the amount of track time they can get week after week and track time is what makes them get better at that stage.

sheepofblue, 418 and FastByKids like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Can't follow the formula. It's a roundy round race and you can see the entire track from one seat. You have beer and food and bathrooms a short walk from anywhere. You can shoot the entire thing with a handful of cameras. There is no way to do all of that roadracing.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I think they crashed less than the current ones :crackup:

rapidzrx and CR750 like this.
  11. Arioch

Arioch Member

The problem with this alternate history fiction (like most alternative history fantasies) is it ignores the inevitability of the historical event you want to disregard. The facts are: the Honda continues to have issues, the only way MM wins is to push himself and the bike to their limits, the only way MM finds the limit is by crashing, and MM and/or the Honda continues to highside.

My point being if you pretend he did not break his arm in 2020, he probably, eventually, would have crashed often or badly enough to cause him to go slower, which is where we are today.

12. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

Quite a bit of bagger hate. Not necessarily my thing either, but after attending Laguna last weekend, majority of the fans that rode in were on baggers. They were all about it and they stayed for the remainder of the day once the bagger race was done. If it gets a different crowd introduced into the "normal" classes we all know and love, I'm all for it.

The weekend as a whole was one of the biggest attended events at Laguna that I've been to since WSBK was there a few years ago. Crazy good weekend and props to MotoAmerica for making it happen.

13. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Personally, I realized that I did not have what it took to be a successful race dad at that time. Things seem a bit better for the youngsters now.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'm really starting to like the potato potato class. Would I go out of my way to watch it? Nope but if it's on and I've got time I'll definitely watch it.

It requires almost no thought to watch and is entertaining enough to keep me interested.

Spang308 likes this.
  15. nigel smith

If it attracts some outside interest, it's a good thing. The price and availability of used Harleys leads me to believe that it is not a viable long term class.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

It's like going to the circus to watch the clowns and you happen to catch the elephants f@cking. You're not there for it but, hey, it's free and how often do you get to watch elephants f@ck.

sheepofblue likes this.
  17. nigel smith

I knew there was something missing in my life. Swing by the house and get me. We're headed to the circus!

18. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I've been looking for a good donkey show lately. Got a line on one in the upper midwest?

19. Ducman851

Ducman851 Been told I’m that guy, but I’m really not

They gave her a few mentions. Michael talked to her in the pits on his Mike on the Mic segment and I believe Jamie interviewed her as well

grasshopper likes this.
  20. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

I was steaming from Europe and she was chasing (can’t remember the English blokes name with shiny white teeth) on her scooter. She got some air time in a impromptu interview.

BTW, think she is 14 now.