1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel Restoration & Refinishing - Who is everyone using?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sweatypants, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

I swear there was a thread on here, but I searched 10 combinations of words and didn't find anything useful. I need my set of Astralites refinished. Whoever the dickhead was before me that owned them spray painted the entire wheels, including over the bolts and rivets. I want them restored to factory new. They're my favorite wheels of all time and in sizes that are super rare, so its worth fixing to me.

The wheels themselves look to be in pretty good shape, so most likely an acid dip or full blasting, maybe a tiny bit of lip touch up, polishing up the rivets, then masking all the rivets off (this is probably the annoying part), and then fresh powder/clear. Who does this, is willing to do resto work like this, that knocks shit out of the park around here. Will ship, whatever it takes. The one shop everyone used to use around here closed last year after like 40 years. The other one that everyone recommends is swamped and said he can't get to it right now unless its an in-n-out job.

Suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks. (pics for reference) 20200313_131610.jpg

20200525_212754.jpg

101024807_10103097021985063_1069043769728303104_o.jpg

2. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

I would PC including rivets. Nice looking wheels by the way.

3. Sweatypants

I love the way they pop though as a contrast when not. If they were bolts like most car's 3-piece aftermarket wheels this would clearly not be an issue.

[​IMG]

I dunno mayyyyyybe...

SpeedyE likes this.
  4. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yeah the rivets look good, but if you want the finish to be durable.

5. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Grant Matsushima. Ive talked to him about straightening and polishing my PM Chicanes for my 7/11 project.

418 likes this.
  6. Sweatypants

What is a 7/11? Also where do I find this man's contact details?

7. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Oil cooled GSXR 750 chassis with 1100 motor in it.

8. s.hoffman

s.hoffman Well-Known Member

Where do you live? I have a shop local here in MD that does great work. I just had my HP wheels straightened after a spill. They powder coat as well. Prices are more than reasonable. Here is the link. Just scroll around for the prices.
    https://www.taswheels.com/motorcycle-wheel-repair

9. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Matsushima Performance in Ontario California

Sweatypants likes this.
  10. Sweatypants

sorry I just saw this. Rockville. but I'll go all over for good service... Towson, Glen Burnie, wherever...

my brother lives in Fulton so I can have an easy excuse to just bop over that way. Will give them a call thanks.

11. Sweatypants

Yo man, how did you get ahold of this dude, and what's his first name? I've tried email and phone/voicemail. No response.

12. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

the name I always heard thrown around was Will's Rim Repair. I have no experience good/bad with him though.

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Unfortunately he passed away a year or two ago.

14. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

:(

15. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Send em to @Gorilla George he would love to work on those white wheels

Phl218 likes this.
  16. Shitcan them.

Phl218 likes this.
  17. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Warn anyone you send them to that these wheels are really soft aluminum. Also, you'll have to be really careful putting tires back on them. Tire machines and spoons can bend them.

Phl218 and SpeedyE like this.
  18. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

So Bromme was correct?

BigBird and Gorilla George like this.
  19. Sweatypants

Will do. Does anyone know how to get to Grant Matsushima?

I got them re-coated in gold. But they couldn't (or just didn't want to) mess with masking the rivets. They look "ok". I mean, the coating is nice, but I know its gonna bug me so I want them done foreal foreal. I found a few threads where dudes drilled out the rivets and put M6 cap bolts in. Or I was thinking maybe some short 12pt bolts like typical car 3pc wheel builds. I also have no idea why they coated the rotor faces on the front ones. Or even the damn bolts that attach the hubs. That kinda shit just annoys the shit out of me haha.

236839630_372133631293020_1574576629722265792_n.jpg

i'll shitcan your FACE! you hush!

SpeedyE likes this.
  20. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

How is it that you own a bike with Astralites and don't know what a 7/11 is???

loser and Shenanigans like this.