Bike Progression from Ninja 650

Discussion in 'General' started by Avi Hadad, May 29, 2021.

1. Avi Hadad

Avi Hadad A Jewish woodworker

I bought a ninja 650 in 2019. I have a season pass and ride track often. I’m in the B group. When we do technical tracks with not much straights I am at the top of my group. When we do tracks with long straights I’m being eaten alive by the more powerful bikes. I care about long term development as a rider. With so many option out there, what would you recommend as my next bike? I am not going to sell my 650 and I haven’t used up all it’s potential. I would like to at some point to have a more powerful bike
    Thanks I’m advance

2. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

I’d say the next step is a 600. Start looking for a zx6r or similar and start smoking the guys in your group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBird and Avi Hadad like this.
  3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

first order of priority... get out of the B (or middle) group. Second... adjust your mental acuity (ego) to it being a track (practice) day... even if you got passed by every person in the
    group 3 times, and they were all wearing tutus over their leathers... it doesnt mean anything if you are working on your riding skills.

Beeb wisdom on "small bikes" in slower TD groups was amusing... bottom line if you can execute exceptional/predictable lines and keep sufficient real estate so faster riders can get past you
    then you shouldnt have any issues other than those bikes straffing straights and parking at corner entries.

If you want to blitz straights well all you need is a Ducati or Leader bike! :D

Once you move to a "faster" bike you are going to go through consumables faster. Tires, brakes, & fluids just for starters then your cost per lap goes up.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

with at least 2 rear tires!!!!

Avi Hadad and Gorilla George like this.
  5. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Or, go race. After a race weekend or two you will have picked up enough time that you can run around in the a group.

BigBird, Avi Hadad, TurboBlew and 2 others like this.
  6. gixxerboy55

gixxerboy55 Well-Known Member

Yeah a 600 is a fun track day bike, and maybe get some instruction, to improve.

mpusch, BigBird and Avi Hadad like this.
  7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Fuckers are slackin'...you of course need a "leader" bike built to compete in Superbike...nothing less.

TurboBlew and Avi Hadad like this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

A supersport bike 600/636 is the next step, but I have the most fun on my Ninja 650, fully knowing well that it's down on power, but that didn't stop me from passing faster bikes. After the straight, by T2 they were in my "mirrors"

Racing against other middleweights/650 will show you how good you are, or how much you have to learn.

As a reference, a 650 can do IIRC sub 1:28 laps at NJMP, which is not far off 600 lap times considering the power difference

~sent from mobile

Newyork and Avi Hadad like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Next step up from the Kawi 650 is an SV650 :D

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Shots fired!

Avi Hadad likes this.
  11. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Keep the 650 and go race. The cost of a new bike will buy quite a few tires and race entries.

Pwning 600s in B group on a Ninja 300 is fun. You don’t need more power to keep faster bikes behind you, just more skill.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Kinda what I was saying, was just trying to be nice [emoji16]

~sent from mobile

stangmx13 and Avi Hadad like this.
  13. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Next step up from that 650 is an ex-junior cup Ninja 400

AMac and Avi Hadad like this.
  14. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

You rang ?
    If-I-told-you-to-go-fuck-yourself-would-you-need-d.jpg

Avi Hadad likes this.
  15. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Stay on the 650 and learn how to trail brake. My poor Honder made 98hp with a stiff tail wind falling off of a cliff. What I lost in the straights I learned how to make up in the corners.

Avi Hadad likes this.
  16. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

@Avi Hadad

What mods have you done to your Ninja 650 ?

Avi Hadad likes this.
  17. Avi Hadad

Woodcraft clip ons
    Andriani cartridge kit and springs
    Nitron rear shock
    Steel cable brake lines
    Driven chain and sprockets two up in the rear one down on the front

Ducti89 likes this.
  18. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

I think it just comes down to personal preference. If you really want a bigger bike go for it. Your 650 sounds very capable though. With a bit more time and effort you’ll be running A group with it.
    A really fast guy once told me “the difference between fast guys and not so fast guys is track time. Just stick with it.”

BigBird, G Dawg and Avi Hadad like this.
  19. Avi Hadad

Thank you guys for both the serious comments and the jokers. I know I have more to learn, and when I get to A group I’ll have more to learn as it never ends. I’ll probably buy a bigger bike in the future just because I want more bikes lol. And the ZX6R is soooo pretty well, and the ZX10r and the oh well...you get the idea

Newyork likes this.