1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohvale 190 GP-2 Track Test Ride - First Impressions

Discussion in 'General' started by DmanSlam, Apr 27, 2021.

Tags:
  1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

I had two ohvale GP-0, 190s until last Fall.

Fact. Groms are surprisingly pricey to build into a track weapon. I'd like to ride one but it won't replace my ohvale.

Fact also. But, mini bike, ohvale or 600/1k, everyone's got a perspective and probably a limit to how much they'll spend on such a thing as a mini bike.

We all know riders who have invested a lot in their bikes and kits, and not even (have the ability to) ride them that well nor that often.

I'm not affiliated with ohvale or risemoto.com. In fact, I'm a retail-paying customer. Lol.

But wrap your head around these nuggets of information:

- one set of tires last all season and it's hard to ruin the 10"/12" tires due to suspension/tire pressure/improper heat cycles
    - Tire warmers not mandatory. But warmers (and F/R stands) are included.
    - cold tire crashes are a rare thing and lose of grip on a warm tire is super-rare. A parent who's son races and works with a racing school says he has -- quote -- "NEVER seen these tires lose grip". Neither have I in my short time being on the mini scene
    - ohvales are essentially a scaled-down sportbike with the same weight distribution and proportions, gearing ratios, high-performance everything (brake, forks, 1/4 turn throttle)
    - the daytona 190 engine gives the ohvale 24 hp and a power-to-weight ratio of a 600cc sportbike
    - entry fees are much cheaper for minimoto track days and race days (I pay ~$50, up to $110 sometimes) --> big bike track days are 2x and more (which I willingly pay but when there's a schedule conflict between big bikes and minimotos, well...)
    - kart tracks abound (3 within 2hrs, plus 2 more within 5 hrs) and I can ride 3 days a week and over the last 3 weeks, have ridden at least 2 days each week.
    - no track nearby? Take your bike and a stack of orange cones to an open lot...industrial parks, cul-de-sacs and quiet roads (if you live in the sticks) are everywhere
    - the bikes crash well (a kid crashed his ohvale 3 times at NJ and kept riding...then his dad rode it as well)
    - trailer / RV / pickup truck not required...transport the bike in your SUV's back seat like some folks do
    - last, I see more ohvales on the track with stock suspension than upgraded suspension

Done. :D

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    riesen17, IronCactus and Senna like this.
  2. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

Ohvales are awesome and it’s great that it’s giving kids another platform to rise through the ranks on.

It’s really the price that deters me from them...for that 7-8 grand you could easily get a well setup 450 Supermoto and a KX65 Supermoto which both can be ridden on kart tracks. o_O

3. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Depends on your definition of well setup, you can get a well setup supermoto for that price but you aren't getting a kx65 to go with it for that price

TurboBlew and DmanSlam like this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

not sure what your definition of a well setup means... maybe well used in need of service.
    Just using a FS450 as a benchmark.

DmanSlam likes this.
  5. DmanSlam

Points taken, all. Unlike a 450 supermoto and kx65, the ohvale will make you a better rider on any of your other bikes.

Fact.

Again, just a matter of perspective. How many of you who just posted own an RV or toy hauler, trailer larger than 7x16 (that is also bone stock) or up-sized your truck in the last 2 years? Yeah, you can use those "for other purposes". That's why we bought them, right? :D

Your money. Your decision of course.

All good fun. Enjoying this discussion.

6. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

I like this take.

I think if minis are your main focus, an Ohvale makes a lot of sense. If I had a kart track within an hour’s drive, I’d seriously consider picking one up and maybe ditching big bike days all together, mainly because the nearest track is four hours away.

For big bike guys looking for additional cheap track time, a TTR/KLX/XR converted over to supermoto makes a lot of sense and is a lower investment.

7. racerx13

racerx13 Well-Known Member

You sure fucking can...Obviously if a shiny FS450 is the only bike you consider as well setup, then you’re not getting a 65 or 85 with that 8 grand budget .

My definition of a well setup Supermoto is a bike that already has a big front brake, slipper clutch, decent wheels & suspension. I picked up a SMUSA race winning CRF450 with beringer front brakes, marchesini wheels, ti pipe, mildly built motor w 5 running hours & valved suspension for 5 grand. Bike was ready to ride and with a capable rider could still win races. You’re telling me you can’t find a kx65 Supermoto for 3 grand?! Hell, There’s even rs125/85 conversions floating out there for 3 grand and probably just as good of a road race training tool as an ohvale.

8. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Fixed.

That’s a pretty subjective statement and I’m confident many of the SM, flat track, woods, etc guys might have a differing opinion.

I do agree the discussion is good and also that you are enjoying your Ohvale.

DmanSlam, stk0308 and Hawk518 like this.
  9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Holy target fixation batman! I've raced pitbikes, dirt bikes, mini and full size sumos, flat track and road race machines. Sumo racing has absolutely made me a better rider in all formats, flat track in particular the few opportunities I've had has been huge. The Ohvale is not a magic wonder box, it's a 'high end' very expensive for what you get pitbike. Personally, I'd love to have seen MA go with something like the Kayo MR150R or similar to lower the cost of entry for the kid's cup.

10. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

How long do the tires last on these and what’s the cost to replace?

11. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

You already look like a circus bear on that 390. How you gonna ride a minibike?

12. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I'm not knocking the Ohvale, to each his own, but for me personally riding minis gives me the opportunity to push a bike to and past it limits, something I honestly can't/won't/don't have the desire to do on a big bike at a big track at this point. That can be done on a wide variety of bikes that are far cheaper. How much that directly translates to big bikes is certainly debatable, and maybe the Ohvale is a closer link to "real" race bikes. Pushing a TTR125 until both ends are chattering and saving it on my knee here and there is a lot of bang for the buck at under 2 grand. Maybe a kid with MotoAmerica aspirations would benefit from the increased performance, but the R.O.I. for me isn't there. They look like trick little bikes though.

Senna likes this.
  13. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I think minis , dirt , SM , SP etc bikes all have they’re place and people that love to ride them. But comparing one to another like one is better or as good is ridiculous. They are different and perform different due to the fact of their intended design. Just Ride. If you want to get someone involved great! Let each bike/discipline stand on their own.

14. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Like this of course.
    [​IMG]

DmanSlam and cpettit like this.
  15. DmanSlam

Yeah. Agreed Mark. A little over the top on my statement there.

Well said.

16. JW88

JW88 Well-Known Member

Anywhere in Southern California that rents Ohvale to try one out?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

17. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Curious how many people have Ohlins shocks on their Ohvales and where they bought them.

18. Saiyan66

Saiyan66 Stand your ground

I am curious about picking one of these up since there is a nice kart track 45min from me that is open 7 days a week for members. Would definitely allow me more track time than the big bike, but the initial buy in is a lot to be sure.

19. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Ok so I’ll ask again, how long do the tires last on these if you’re a decently quick rider and what’s the cost of a set? Am I doing a set every 25-30 laps? 50? 100?

20. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

buddy of mine gets 4-5 trips to our kart track on his gp0 190 before swapping tires. I get 10hrs on a set of metzelers on my FS450 which is 3-4 trips to the kart track as well

DWhyte91 likes this.