1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chipmunks...and other critters.

Discussion in 'General' started by fastfreddie, Apr 22, 2021.

1. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Where the hell are the chipmunks? Have our cats finally eradicated them from our property or have they gone seasonal? I've always seemed to notice them year-round, I thought. I ain't seein' no bunnies, neither.

I'm seeing bees, but they look kinda scrappy and homeless...

The coyotes got more common during the year of the big flu. Maybe they're digging up the chipmunks and bunnies, possibly even disenfranchising the bees?

Deer are everywhere. Can't them damn coyotes do their job and eradicate the hoofed rats, too?

Anyone else noticing a lack or abundance of certain critters?

Oh, yeah. Woodpeckers. Lotsa frickin' woodpeckers. Little ones, big ones...they've taking out half a dozen trees and I'm seriously considering a reduction of my shotshell supply.

2. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

My Mr & Mrs Mallard are back this summer.

ducks.JPG

ducks 2.JPG

Dog who likes to chase and Kill defenseless bunnies and squirrels is Not amused in the Mornings. (Too bad, hahaha)
    dog.JPG

3. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

Your trees are infested with bugs, and the woodpeckers are eating the bugs.

ToofPic, Norton 357 and SpeedyE like this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

Chipmunks hate my Hawk figure sitting on the porch.

squirrels stay far away from our yard.
    Bunnies are not that smart.

eff wood peckers. Idjits need to stay away from my deck. Same for damn carpenter bees

5. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Haven’t seen cottontailed bastards in the yard for a couple of years. Still tree rats aplenty, and last weekend had a couple of big ol’ coons come lumbering through the backyard around midnight. Them fuckers can steal off to somewhere else too, my feelings won’t be hurt.

6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Got an abundance of chippers here in the No. Floriduh woods.
    Feel free to come and take a shitload home with ya. :D

7. Champer

Champer Well-Known Member

2nd winter in a row a family of red squirrels got into our camper and raised hell. Fucking pains in the asses

8. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Have you noticed an increase in the number stews appearing on your dinner table recently? Somebody might be watching out for your health by discreetly cutting out the red meat from your diet.

Yzasserina and SpeedyE like this.
  9. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Chipmunks aren't red meat? Or do they just classify as "varmit"?

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Hell if I know. I know rabbits aren't.

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

What is red meat anyway? Cows and what else? I mean, when I try to think about it, deer, bear, pig, horse, fish, poultry, dog, cat, squirrel...all those things are either venison or white meat. Are cows special or something? What about dolphins and whales, red meat?

12. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Mine all died of lead poisoning.
    In other news, GAMO makes a damn good pellet gun.

13. SpeedyE

A mouse had turned the tail of a barnfind 86 gsxr i (my mom) bought, into a tiny apartment :crackup:

gsxrmousehotel.JPG

I got spotted small mouse in the house-garage/shop few weeks ago, seen where he lives, behind vertical board between the two garage doors......been putting food out for him ever since :)

mouse house.JPG

I easily catch him/her and put outside, but might have babies/litter, or spouse, so i leave it alone.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  14. Too many birds of prey around here, even the damn squirrels are always under cover. Ever question how many birds of prey are around you throw out a coyote call of a dying rabbit and look up or listen in the woods. If they can’t see from above hawks will go under the tree cover a few trees at a time towards the sound. Scares the shit out of you hunting alone in the woods at night, or as I say hunting with my friends :)

15. SpeedyE

I had HUGE squirrel living in ceiling of rental house in the ghetto. When some cieling tiles fell down, in the 2nd floor sun-porch, he had access to house.
    One morning me and my dog (1/2 hillbilly Bloodhound 1/2 Border Collie, 86-lbs), we got up, heard noise in (my dog's) sunporch, we went to investigate, LARGE Squirrel, NOT scared, puffed up, my dog made a u-turn and went to a different room in house, I Laughed!!!! LOL!!!!
    I Never told landlord, I thought it was funny, to hear giant squirrel in ceiling and occasionally in house.

I opened cupboard under sink, in that house, was staring at two little mice, both standing up on back feet/legs, about 3 inches apart from each other, staring at me. I knew they were friends, siblings, or married. I had to catch one, keep as pet, till I caught his buddy few days later, and release them together :)

I LOVED and MISS My Ghetto house (rental) :(

16. SpeedyE

I was on computer next to window, had this big Vulture land and watch me for 30-minutes, 15 feet away, with only a window in between us. They are skittish, but he was not afraid of me....i stood up, went to bathroom, etc, he not flinch. I truly thought it was odd, gave me a little bit of creeps, but also thought it was cool...but knew it was odd o_O .... some months later i got stage-4 cancer.
    That bird was telling me something.....I believe in signs. Animals know :cool: , they operate in other dimensions :D

v1.JPG

v2.JPG

v3.JPG

BigBird and ToofPic like this.
  17. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

[​IMG]

SpeedyE likes this.
  18. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

Besides all the birds (including turkey) we get Possum, Racoons, bunnies and armadillos regularly (and of course Squirrels), turtles of various types occasionally and Bobcats rarely. And I do occasionally have to put out mouse traps, but my new shop seems to keep them out pretty good for the moment. Saw what I thought was a Coyote once, but not on my property and not at all since then.

Sometimes it is just a matter of spotting them (particularly the nocturnal ones). Since we've been working at home more because of Covid, we've seen (and even photographed) more stuff than previously.

SpeedyE likes this.
  19. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Chipmunks, birds, possum etc, etc,...bunch of lightweights.

bear.jpg

Montoya and SpeedyE like this.
  20. SpeedyE

:bow::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::bow: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rock: