1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MotoGP | 2021 | Round 3 | Portimao | Portgual | April 16-18

Discussion in 'General' started by BigBird, Apr 12, 2021.

1. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? If they see the flag then they slow down and lap is not cancelled, and most of time then that will not be the rider's fastest lap, unless they were really fast in the sectors where there wasn’t a yellow flag, and the times when they don’t see the flag and the sector time is improved, then lap is cancelled so the rule is working very well. By the way, what someone’s else’s mistake was Vinales penalized for?

2. Phl218

Phl218 .

Eliminate external factors, for when it really counts.

that crash ahead of him is not the riders fault who’s on the hottest lap If the weekend. Won’t affect the guy ahead and not the one coming by a minute later.

so, give everyone 2x2 laps to do solo stints instead? Would that be a better format?

3. Phl218

Phl218 .

I’d assume if Pecco would have slowed down after seeing the flag he might have given it another shot (can’t remember if there was still time). But he had the lap, it was assumed by most in the paddock, reporters and viewers and then cancelled after the fact, not instantly, so neither the team could notify him or he could just stay out for another hot one.

i get that crashed riders and corner workers need the safety... but it penalizes riders across the board if enacted in this short time frame format.

and I get the exceeding track limits thing, at least the rider can blame himself...

BHP41, Quicktoy and BigBird like this.
  4. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

I like the the way it is now. Q1 and Q2 are much more exciting than the old 45 min format. Saying that, when you get only 2, possibly 3 chances of making that lap, having your fast laps canceled through no fault of your own, I don’t see that as being fair. If they are going to cancel laps then maybe they should cancel laps of the riders the rider that fell that caused other to lose time also.

BigBird, MachineR1 and Senna like this.
  5. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

How long until Ducati makes noises about replacing Jack? I give it 2 more races if it continues like this. God they’re such complete assholes.

Valentino’s halfway through his 6 races to figure out his future allotment, if there’s not a podium or 2 soon I think this is the end of the road.

6. BHP41

The rule is there for safety of the riders that have fallen. If the rule was working, there would be no canceled laps yet we see canceled laps almost every QP. Whatever the factor is behind that, the rule isn't working.

I thought that Vinales had 1 lap canceled because of track limits and 1 for yellow flag.

7. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

I doubt Jack has a future at the factory team beyond this season.

Rossi is on the exact same bike that has won every race so far this season and has scored zero points. Maybe it's time for that decision to be made for him.

8. younglion

younglion Well-Known Member

4 points.

Quicktoy likes this.
  9. BHP41

If it continues like this I couldn’t blame them. The only Ducati that has less points is Marini and Martin didn’t race this weekend. I like Miller, he’s a Crutchlow like character and that’s always a good thing for the paddock but being the rider that has the most experience on the Ducati by far, he isn’t living up to what’s expected. In fact, he’s being shown up by a couple rookies at this point. I hope he can get it together.

Shocker, scottn, Circacee and 2 others like this.
  10. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Zero points with me :D

younglion and Phl218 like this.
  11. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

23103a, Quicktoy, wac and 1 other person like this.
  12. Phl218

Phl218 .

yeah, that first minute after he returned to the box ... man...

Quicktoy and BigBird like this.
  13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Cmon, you MIGHT kick my ass on the track, but freaking @Robby-Bobby actually won a MA national in twins cup, which is a hell of an accomplishment for an old fat guy!!:D

What was your beat result running Harley’s in AMA? I don’t actually know and am too lazy to look, but I know I never heard of you winning a round, but didn’t really know you back then.

14. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

Not to mention he has experience, he has been on a Moto 3 bike on GP tracks since 2018. RBR for the past 2 seasons (2019-2nd 2020-1st). Before and during that he was riding moto 3 in the CEV.

15. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

Joe Roberts - 7th , Cam B- 12th

16. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

If the yellow flags are gonna keep screwing people in qualifying they should just automatically extend the session by 3 or 5 minutes if there is a yellow with less than 1 or 2 minutes left.

23103a, badmoon692008, Senna and 2 others like this.
  17. definitely not a cat

definitely not a cat Well-Known Member

I see this as over time for Marc. He’s already left his stamp on the sport. He doesn’t have anything else to prove. He damn near perfected the high risk high reward style and got a huge collection championships for it.
    I read before the race weekend his first goal was to become a MotoGP rider again. It will be interesting to see how this progresses through the season.

BigBird likes this.
  18. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

IndyCar wipes your session times if you cause a flag (yellow or red) during that session. It seems like a lot of drivers get caught out by time or flags in IndyCar quali sessions as well, but that may just be Leigh Diffy hyping everything at 100db.

19. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

What if they split qualifying by manufacturer to remove some of the fuckery and gamesmanship? I'd personally like to see which teams could put on the best qualifying show. Riders can get their tows without being dicks and if you don't have a strong team, you may not get those advantages. Any cancelled laps for flags, blame your team/manufacturer etc.

Phl218 likes this.
  20. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

You could see this written all over his face in his pit after the race. He was damn near overcome with emotion along with what was likely a large dose of pain.

BigBird likes this.