1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you ship large, boxed items on an airline as checked bags?

Discussion in 'General' started by ClemsonsR6, Mar 27, 2021.

1. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Have the opportunity to pick up something for the car and bring it back with me from AZ week after next. Due to the size of the box, I'm certain shipping from Commifornia will be insane, but if I can get it to our hotel in AZ, can I check the box as luggage with Delta?

Waiting on dimensions of the box but weight will only be like 20 lbs at the extreme most.

2. Evad101

Evad101 Well-Known Member

People take bicycles on the plane with the wheels taken off all packed in a large box. Airlines will take some pretty large items. Just needs to be boxed well and not ridiculous in dimensional size. Most airlines have this info on their websites for checked baggage.

BigBird likes this.
  3. chobes

chobes Well-Known Member

Check with Delta, but it shouldn't be an issue. I've had large u-haul boxes on commercial flights as checked bags while moving (domestic and international) and no issues.

4. ClemsonsR6

I looked on the Delta website....it wasn't 100% clear.

Edit: Upon further searching.....looks like they limit the total dimensions to 80"..... my box will be bigger than 80" total.

5. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Even if they would take it, oversized fees are likely more than shipping. I've flown with surfboards a few times on Delta and they charge $150 each way.

I've had decent luck shipping mid-sized stuff with uship, maybe give that a try.

turbulence likes this.
  6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Rent a vehicle and drive it home?

pefrey likes this.
  7. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Check with greyhound. Are they still in business?

8. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I bought a set of bodywork while on a business trip. Stuffed it in a u-haul wardrobe box and checked it southwest airlines. $35

BigBird, TurboBlew and YamahaRick like this.
  9. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Probably pricey, but Delta Dash can have it on your plane as cargo.

10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

yeah but they have curbed alot of their package depot locations. Last time sent 2 large wardrobe boxes from FL to CA it was $165. Except instead of 2 weeks it took 7 and the depot at the end was staffed by someone insanely small town stupid.
    What a nightmare... but FedEx or UPS would have been $700+.

11. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

I’d give you a 50-50 shot at getting on delta with an oversized, but light weight box. Hopefully you get a dumb ticket agent and they go by weight. If they measure, you might be s.o.l. The size of the plane might matter as well. If you are on mainline, you should be fine. A CRJ, could be an issue. Good luck.

12. ClemsonsR6

FedEx/UPS are $360 each.

Greyhound is $125 bucks. <--- Never shipped anything with them and that makes me nervous.....

Might try UShip to see if can get to the 125-150 range.

13. Chaplain45

Chaplain45 Well-Known Member

Usually take car parts on as carry-ons. Racers do it all the time. Something odd breaks and the part is back home. Call a friend, buy them a ticket.... tricky part is always passing tsa with something that looks suspicious.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BigBird likes this.
  14. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

15. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I often check boxes as luggage. Usually it’s a case or 6 bottles of wine in a styrofoam case that is in a box taped up real good. They slap a couple fragile stickers on it and throw it on the belt like a piece of luggage. Never had to pay extra but I’ve always had the platinum or diamond status.

16. ClemsonsR6

So, got the box dimensions.....57x37x11. Again, it's a big ass box but doesn't weigh much.....

Greyhound would be the best, but the seller isn't comfortable driving to the bus station...eyeroll emoji.....we'll get it figured out.

17. chrysta1

chrysta1 Well-Known Member

It's been a number of years, but I have shipped stuff using ForwardAir, prices were reasonable, drop off and pick up at the truck terminal.
    Freight forwarders near the airport may also be able to help. my guess ground will be better now since air freight space is at a premium now.

18. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Contact the airline and ask them. Flew to Phoenix over Thanksgiving and checked 2 sets of OZ wheels for the flight out.
    Was with Southwest Airlines.

19. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Fastenal does store to store shipping, IIRC.

20. BigBird

BigBird blah

well it's less than 80" and from Cali to AZ, might be not that bad