Holy S@#t the field is stacked @ the 2021 Daytona 200

Discussion in 'General' started by Pneumatico Delle Vittorie, Jan 30, 2021.

1. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I'm amazed Dunlop finished 11th. Well done.
    I didn't see the race, sadly.

ToofPic and ducnut like this.
  2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

You still can, pay $1.99 for the flat track pass and you can watch it.

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

KWR wasn’t at fault; the lapper should’ve been meatballed, for not being of a suitable pace and/or not being able to hold a line. These guy running that slow of pace are able to wobble anywhere they like on a track without any concerns, as supported by his actions later shown. However, they STILL have a responsibility to NOT be a detriment to those passing. The fast guys absolutely must stay on a narrow line, to stay on the track. IMO, it’s the organizer’s fault for using a 115% rule, whether due to greed, wanting a full field, or whatever.

SirCrashAlot likes this.
  4. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

IDK, the Wyman incident seemed like once Brandon went by on the inside the rider moved over right into Wyman who was splitting on the outside. I dont blame the rider for that incident. Was that rider super slow and prob shouldnt be out there, yes. I think he was almost involved in another incident a little later.

Spang308 likes this.
  5. jdmosley43

jdmosley43 Well-Known Member

Why would you not blame the lapper for changing his line as the leaders come by?

ducnut likes this.
  6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

If he moved over, which is what it appeared, he didn’t maintain line, which is a definite violation of one of the most basic of rules.

7. 418

418 Expert #59

The monday morning quarterbacking is off the chain up in here.

969, Gino230, The Great One and 5 others like this.
  8. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

I saw a bunch of riders out there getting spooked and standing their bikes up, switching lines mid corner, etc.
    Maybe they should institute the JRP cutoff. If you can't outqualify Johnny, you sit for the race.

9. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Real lappers know how to get lapped properly. Set the cutoff to 110% and open it back up at 125% then watch us real back markers do work :crackup:

10. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

No different than the quarterbacks, prior to the start.:D

11. Joe Remi

Joe Remi Well-Known Member

Speaking strictly as a TV spectator who's never raced, I agree. The 200 has always been a show where the leaders are messing about with traffic the whole race and it's huge fun to watch. They'd be crazy to "fix" it.

12. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Wyman tried to go inside the lapper and ran out of room. Lapper was aiming for the apex. Had he ran wide and caused the crash it's a completely different story.

He didn't change his line and come down on kyle. Shitty riders have a hard time tightening their lines once committed.

13. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I'm not saying he is a shitty rider.

14. Boman Forklift

Hey, that’s the American way, BABY!!!!!!!!!!

When I was in software sales I had a new boss that started doing that shit to all of us. I got pissed off and told him to knock it off. I was the #1 or #2 rep every year through multiple territories and bosses. I knew how to sell software and his after the fact comments weren’t closing any business and IMO were worthless anyway?

I didn’t say this part but If he was worth a shit he would have been closing deals instead of making half what I was making managing me and the other sales people.

A year or two later he tried getting me to be a regional sales manager like him. He couldn’t understand why I wouldn’t want to take a promotion and have a title on my business card and a notch on my resume.

I said, I only do this for the money. I will walk around here with a broom up my ass, sweeping the floor while emptying the garbage. I will do anything else that needs done, and you can put janitor on my business card, as long as you pay me the kind of money I’ve been making, I don’t care one bit about the title.

I never did enter management there, maybe I have an attitude problem. Lolol

15. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Would you PLEASE have a talk with this guy and help straighten him out?

[​IMG]

tophyr and Boman Forklift like this.
  16. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Lots of talk about lappers and lap times and qualifying %s for this race... kinda gets me thinking about the WERA/N2 endurance series. This 200 is essentially a shortened version of the 4hr series. Would you want to see some sort of qualifying or credentials for the WERA series? For myself, I'd be one of those lappers that many of you have lamented in this thread. I'm probably 11-13 seconds slower than the podium teams, and am not a white plate with any race series (WERA, CCS). I/we did one 4hr round last year, and my best time (slowest on our team) was about 13 seconds off the podium best. With all the talk about more "pro" riders coming into this series, am I going to be one of those guys that messes up someone's chance at a win? I can hold a line ("A" group with N2 if that matters) and I don't get spooked, but I had my ass handed to me a few times during the race. For reference, at Pitt my best lap was in the 58s. Team best was 51s.

Serious question. I want to run a couple rounds this year but not if I'm going to be one of those guys who "shouldnt" be there. Stick to sprints?

17. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

You should do the opposite of most people in here complaining about lappers, and that is go race.
    You'll go faster being on the track with fast people during the endurance than anything else, just race and hold your line and don't think about it again.
    Trust me mongo or one of the experienced guys racing will have a talk with you and actually help you learn if there is a reason.

j cal, tophyr, stk0308 and 2 others like this.
  18. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

I'm all for riding with guys faster than me for why you said. I'll be there for sprints. Just dont want to be the roadblock in the 4h or embarrass myself. And we ran/will run HWT.

19. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

If Pros come to your playground and you're in their way, that's on them. If you go to their show and you're in their way, that's on you. If that makes sense. Amateur events are where slower riders become faster riders and a very small percentage of those faster riders become pros. The argument most are making is with the closing speeds between faster riders and slower riders at a place like Daytona, it can be a bit more dangerous and unlike you, some of them were not holding their line. One in particular was all over the place in multiple lapping "incidents".
    You have talented guys out there racing for a large paycheck, a really nice Rolex and eternal recognition. The argument most are making is if you're 12 seconds off the pace, why are you there?

It's different at a WERA/N2 event. You're there because you're 12 seconds off the pace and you're working to get faster. It's exactly where you belong. Daytona is not.

SirCrashAlot, cBJr, ducnut and 9 others like this.
  20. Boman Forklift

I think you should go race the enduramce, continue to have fun, and improve. Endurance is one of the best and least expensive ways to get better.

I hope after the first round you come post on here how much fun you had and how much you dropped your lap times over the weekend.

pjzocc and ToofPic like this.