1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I just did an interesting job for a friend at work. He had this Hamilton pocket watch that belonged to his grandfather. It didn't run and he asked if I could fix it. When I got it, you could see that the hands had rusted and the rust particles had worked all through the watch and contaminated all the lubricant, etc. I was able to polish the hands, disassemble the movement and get it all cleaned and lubricated and back together again. It was very satisfying. It was difficult to regulate and I never got it fully in beat but it's losing less than 1 minute per day. I don't think that's too bad for an amateur watchmaker and a century old watch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    resolution of instagram post

L8RSK8R, Hawk518, Seiko and 15 others like this.
  2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Wow!

SteveThompson likes this.
  3. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Nice job!!!
    That's great

4. 1bronco

1bronco Well-Known Member

Anyone have recommendations for websites to get new watch bands? Looking for a leather replacement for a Ducati watch I got at the Factory.

5. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

1bronco and Jedb like this.
  6. 1bronco

1bronco Well-Known Member

Jedb likes this.
  7. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Awesome job.

I wish I knew how to post pic of the old Elgin my grandpa's dad gave him that I now have. The story that goes with it was pretty cool too. Watch is from the 1800s I believe.

8. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

That is how I got my no-date sub, paid upfront. Three months later, I go it.
    I have offered to paid up front and "no go" this time around (multiple ADs including, the original purchase).

9. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

I’m having an issue with my tag tachometer. Other than the second hand not resetting to 0 which has been a continuous problem. I’m having an issue with the Crown.

I was working in the attic the other night snd somehow the crown got unscrewed. I think I must’ve bumped it a few times without realizing it because now it won’t screw back in. It feels like it’s under pressure of a spring but won’t grab and actually allow me to screw it in.

Any thoughts without having to send it off? I have others I can wear but I like this for a watch to wear on weekends and such.

10. SteveThompson

Which model is it? I can probably fix it. You just have to be aware that you’re sending it to a hobbyist watchmaker and not a pro. :)

Also, I fixed my dad’s Tissot chronograph that wouldn’t reset to zero. That solution was in the manual.

11. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Cau1112 tag F1 chrono.

If you want to give it a run send me your address and I’ll send it to you.

I tried the solution to reset to zero and it never works.

12. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Yeah I'd check the manual... usually there is a reset procedure for the chrono. Not sure about that one, but most of mine are (1) pull the crown all the way out (2) press the top pusher until the hand is aligned (3) rejoice!

13. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

A search on youtube shows the procedure for resetting the zero on the chronometer. Actually pretty easy to do.

14. thrak410

Finally got the strap put on, not bad looking for $150 all in! Hand winding hacking automatic movement and some nice touches like brushed case sides with polished bezel.

Attached Files:

Jedb and j cal like this.
  15. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I am liking this one.

16. SteveThompson

I like those re-issues. It reminds me of something my dad would have worn in the 70's.

Hawk518 likes this.
  17. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Very cool and nice work! There are several companies repurposing these movements into some very cool wrist watches. RGM and Tourby being pretty well known in this niche.

18. BarryG

BarryG Well-Known Member

Where did that strap come from? Is it real leather? I’m thinking of replacing my Speedmaster strap, but not spending $$ridiculous for an Omega.
    Barry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. thrak410

Yes its real leather. Panatime.com ... I get all my straps from there, some really nice stuff! This strap has a slight suede texture too, so nice.

If you get on their mailing list, they send out discount codes fairly often.

20. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I've been looking for a replacement strap for my Jacques Lemans G-217 but it seems pretty complicated. The shape is unusual. Any ideas ? The lugs look like they're 18 mm.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]