1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School me on investing...

Discussion in 'General' started by noles19, Nov 8, 2017.

1. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

When Bezos says he's the richest man on earth, he's not only counting his cash. Unrealized P&L is part of the game.

BigBird likes this.
  2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Yessir!

3. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

It will account for everything. Including the entire banking system Visa is tied to, physical security of their centralized servers, the people who work in the banking systems not needed in Crypto, the environmental cost of the regulatory private banking controls, the global footprint of each from a physical facility perspective, the defense costs of fiat currency..maybe even pollution from the yachts of the banking system executives.

Anyone that can get a Visa can get BTC there is no access issue. Curious why you think there is any problem? In fact, worldwide BTC is MUCH easier to get versus Visa.

4. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Pretty silly argument. I'd say it don't count until it's taxable...

5. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Which means it has to be sold in order to realize any gain/loss.

6. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Saying you haven't lost anything until you sell your shares is like saying that you haven't lost anything until you find out that the bitch you brought home from the bar last month stole all the cash in your shoe box.

If you're lucky, she will replace it before you find out. But you did take a loss. :D

notbostrom likes this.
  8. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Assets are wealth. Period. All this talk of unrealized gains and cash o_O

9. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Schrodinger's cash.

10. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

I think that's more like a checking account.. :D

SuddenBraking likes this.
  11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

@Boman Forklift , did you end up buying ONCY when it was below $1? I've been watching it since you brought it up, and I regret not jumping in. :D

12. Black46

Black46 Well-Known Member

I don't have any special knowledge, but I purchased MU recently.

13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I did not. Haven't bought any individual stock in years, although have been thinking about sticking my toe in. Just have my 401k in index funds.

BigBird likes this.
  14. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

I've been watching youtube analysis and papertrading just to learn the ropes over the last few weeks. I put some fake money in VYNE on 2/8. It was fun to watch them quadruple at market open yesterday, but it makes me wish the earnings were real.

15. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Today was a great day to buy. I did a nice spread over different segments. Bought companies that were 5% to 15% down today due to market conditions. Should be decent returns.

tony 340 likes this.
  16. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Disagree.

If I buy 25% of Amazon no matter what the shares are worth I still own 25% of Amazon.

Guys that deal in classic cars understand this well......not like the kids on Reddit...... If they don't get the money they just keep their car

17. Phl218

Phl218 .

The GME holders are doing exactly that

thrak410, BigBird and tony 340 like this.
  18. Goldie

Goldie Well-Known Member

I also disagree with HPPT thinking..... It's called Return on Investment (ROI)... Technically, buying stock is an investment just like a 401K plan, IRA, etc... There is no such thing as losing if you did not sell it for a loss.

418 and tony 340 like this.
  19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

20. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

My mother taught me this about Ford.

The Ford family still holds a major portion of the shares. That company wasn't going anywhere in 2009.

She bought a fuckton of that stock @1.60

Jedb and Phl218 like this.