1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any beeb members ever ride the Dirty Kanza gravel bike race in Kansas?

Discussion in 'General' started by 50Joe, Jan 27, 2021.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Pretty epic race. Only one handcyclist has done it before. I've been invited to ride/race it. Definitely wouldn't do the 200 mile length. May not even do the 100 mile loop but do the 50 miler my first time trying it. 50 miles of off-road on a handcycle is pretty damn hard.

Post up your feedback if you have done it. I fully understand I would need a couple of able body riders with me to get me across the water crossings.

awalk9905 and Senna like this.
  2. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about it but it sounds like I know the 2nd handcyclist to do it...

beechkingd, 969, 50Joe and 1 other person like this.
  3. HAZE

HAZE Group Therapy

Where in Kansas ?

4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Dirty Kanza = Filthy Sanchez ????

You trying to kill us with subtle inuendo today Joe?

<JUST KIDDING, I just could not resist>

If you do accept the challenge to ride the event, best of luck to you.

50Joe likes this.
  5. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Based out of Emporia, KS. Biggest gravel bike race out there. Pretty brutal from what I have heard.

6. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

My uncle is well connected in cycling. I’ll ask if he knows anything about it.

7. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Ok so my uncle just responded and said major props to you!!! His close friend is one of the photographers there and all the pros are flocking to it.

50Joe likes this.
  8. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I have not done it but have coworkers that have participated. (I live in KS).
    I believe one of the guys that has helped organize it is a long time motorcyclist (dualsport). I dont know him personally but he is on some FB groups I am on.
    I know it is a pretty grueling race especially if it rains as some sections turn into nasty sticky mud.
    I'll mention your interest to my coworker and see what info he might have.

50Joe likes this.
  9. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

@Jack Brock do you have any contacts in the local bike scene that are planning to participate?

10. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I work with a guy (we were friends first. He was a reference and helped me get my job) who is a pro-level cyclist.

I’m sure he’s ridden it. What specific questions do you have?

50Joe likes this.
  11. Greenhound386

Greenhound386 Well-Known Member

Man, if you do it, document it somehow! I'd love to read or watch video on your process and how you end up faring. I've read a ton about it - and the Belgian Waffle Ride - and I just don't think I'd have the work ethic and commitment level to train for an event like that. I'll stick to my fair weather beach rides on the road bike or out on the mountain bike!

There's so much good content out there on what to expect and how to prepare, but you'll definitely be contending with a steeper learning curve on the handcycle. Did the one guy that did it do the full 200 miles? I'm gonna fire up the Google machine and see if I can find some info on that person.

50Joe likes this.
  12. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Mainly how rough the gravel is and tire choice.

13. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

No way on the 200. I'd do the 50 first time. That's still hard on a handcycle off-road. I do 50 mile road rides often and with a lot of elevation. Where I live it's typically 1000 ft for every 15 miles or so.

14. gonriding

gonriding Well-Known Member

Hats off for doing it on a handbike!!
    I did the Lost and Found 100 mile out here in California a few years back. First year I did the 65 mile, thought it wasn’t too bad, second time I did the 100. I’m nowhere near pro or even a racer, just a die hard mediocre cyclist. It was the hardest thing I’ve done. Mentally I was ready to tap out at 80 miles. Just done. But I was in the middle of nowhere... needless to say I’ll never do 100 miles of mixed road on a bicycle in a day again.

I’d say one of my biggest mistakes was underestimating how much I needed to hydrate and fuel. It took way more out of me than road riding.

best of luck and +1 for documenting it!

50Joe likes this.
  15. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Just entered the lottery to get in the race. Hopefully I get in.

motion likes this.
  16. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I learned that lesson this past summer on a 75 mile / 5000 ft elevation ride with temps up to the low 90's and high humidity. I hit a wall at 55 miles. Took a 5 minute break in the shade and then sucked it up to the end. I was averaging about 15.5 mph until I hit the wall. Ended up at 14.5 mph avg which isn't too bad all things considered and on a handcycle.

motion likes this.
  17. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

I couldnt even do that sitting on my ass, with the ac going and 3 gatorade bottles near me.

18. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Sometimes I wonder if my brain injury in my big crash had a lasting effect. :)

969 likes this.
  19. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

over that distance, you’re going to get a lot of variety...

whatever tire is comfortable for you to be on for many hours...

i rode a 45 mile gravel race on 34mm tires, and did the same race on 4” fat tires the year prior.

the winner was on a hardtail
    Mtb with 2.4s.

for a hand bike, i would go with wider, since hike-a-bike isn’t an option.

message the organizers. They’re typically just cool people whose ride blew up. They’ll give you the best advice.

50Joe likes this.
  20. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

I confirmed that my friend Matt has actually not ridden it, but he gave me contact info for two guys who have. Message me if you want their info, and I’ll give you Matt’s last name to “drop.”

50Joe likes this.