1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much do you tip movers?

Discussion in 'General' started by njracer, Nov 30, 2020.

1. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

We are moving my MIL into our house a will be building a mother-daughter once the sale of her home is complete.

We have movers (3 guys) at the house today packing up what she's keeping (which is really not much) and bringing it to a storage place.

I know we are paying them for the job but what should we tip?

Toss them $100 ?

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

$100 sounds fine.

trancework and BigBird like this.
  3. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Why does everything require a tip to someone that's already being compensated for their work?

I mean I get that it's a nice gesture and all, but this idea of offering additional compensation has really gotten out of control.

Rebel635, lee955i, Kolbe and 6 others like this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

how well they do/did the job... $50 each wouldnt be out of line

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

God Bless You.

If my MIL ever moved here, I would probably move out.

6. trancework

trancework It's always now...

Everyone loves the C-Note handshake...

7. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Would you tip the movers that brought her to you house?

BigBird likes this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap, hand the head sleestak the cash, let them divvy it up.

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I paid a company to move my shit. They tip their personnel with something called a paycheck.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

I would tip them, yes. I would tip them even more if they lost her along the way.

I keed.

Razr likes this.
  11. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

Jobs that aren't cut and dry often run over or require going way above and beyond. Moving furniture being one of them sometimes. Moving stuff that isn't part of the original job to help because things don't fit anymore etc. This job sounds pretty standard so $10-15 each for lunch is prob appreciated if they're working hard.

12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Buncha Mr. Pinks all up in this shit.

[​IMG]

StaccatoFan likes this.
  13. BigBird

BigBird blah

seriously though standard 10-15%. moving to a storage unit isn't that difficult. if they were moving things into the rooms they belong, that's a different story.

14. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

:stupid:

BigBird likes this.
  15. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I delivered furniture from 17 yr old to 22 yr old. Much different job to moving a house as we would do 10-15 jobs per day. Half the people on average would tip us. Usually $5-20 ish. I was payed very well with base pay by the end also. Great gig if you're good at it.

16. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

+ 1

Rebel635 likes this.
  17. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

Moving stuff in to storage, and not that much or super heavy or cumbersome stuff, $20 each. They are being paid, the $20 is so that care for the stuff like it was their own. Now if they were moving a whole home and appliances etc, or if they had to wrap and pack the stuff, up and down flights of stairs, $100 each.

BigBird likes this.
  18. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

2x 12pack of good beer
    Let them maths to divvy it up.

19. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

All of that's part of the agreement that contracts them to to do the job, and the price the Customer was quoted.

And I'd want them to treat it like it's NOT their stuff, because it isn't. If it's treated like it's their own, and it gets messed up, then they won't have to pay out for damages.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

is that a paradox? like jumbo shrimp? a $900 bottle of wine should be fine!!