1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can we talk about success stories learning a new language PER FAVORE (stupido Americano accent)

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Oct 16, 2020.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Rosetta has a $199 lifetime deal. Seems pretty good and I've heard a lot of good things about Rosetta Stone software. But, I have no idea if it really works.

Since I can't friggin travel anywhere interesting this winter, I'm going to commit myself to learning Italian by late spring. Then, French, Spanish and Irish in subsequent winters, if I can get this rolling.

Anyone else done a course and can recommend what they found useful?

Grazzi :)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    tophyr likes this.
  2. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I just yell louder in English. Seems to work fine. That, and Google Translate.

SuddenBraking and BHP41 like this.
  3. tiggen

tiggen Things are lookin' up.

Never used RS, but I have heard good things from other language teachers. I did it the old fashioned way: went to Spain for a semester in college and got drunk with a native.

I tried Italian in HS, did a little French along the way, too. I thought Spanish was by far the easiest, fwiw.

4. sbkidd

sbkidd Well-Known Member

por favor

5. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Seriously dude go outside and chop some wood and come back here and post something worth fucking reading.

Last time I looked this was a racer or about racing forum....although it has changed of late so go ahead with this stupidity!

6. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

I've looked into a preview/free limited trial of RS a long time ago and wasn't impressed. I think learning a language varies based on the individual. Not everyone learns the same way. RS works well for some people. I don't really have the necessary focus to learn a language like that. I've been learning German for the last couple of years and I started out with Duolingo cuz it's free, but that's mostly good for words and expressions, and IMO doesn't do a very good job at explaining the "WHY's" and "HOW's" of grammar, sentence structure, cases, etc. I switched to using Verbling and paying a teacher for lessons. Definitely way more expensive, but my company paid for it. Only downside is I just didn't have much time to commit to it especially due to work travel, so my progress has been very slow. 145 lessons in about 28 months is not really much cuz at that rate you forget almost as much as you learn lol But I had a couple of really good teachers and my experience was good with that. Just wish I would've had time to do it at least 3 times a week.

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

prego...

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Condom

Funkm05 and Ducti89 like this.
  9. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Just go to an Italian motogp news site and flip back and forth between english and italian while reading the articles. Should catch on sooner or later

Rossi è caduto di nuovo e sembra essersi perso quest'anno

:D

motion likes this.
  10. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

So, just being your lushish (sp) self again. Nothing ever changes around here.

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I took their Pig Latin course and mastered it in 5 minutes, including a bathroom break.
    Onay uckingfay iddingkay.

12. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I’ve been using Duolingo for Spanish. Having competitive scoring between our Baja crew helps motivation. IMO the best way is the combo of the app and then time in Mexico. One without the other is very limiting.

sbk1198 likes this.
  13. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Rosetta Stone will do a good job teaching you the "book learning". After you've got some of the lessons down and you feel comfortable, find a native speaker and ask for their help. It won't be fun at first, it'll be awkward. But, it doesn't matter what you talk about - what matters is that you talk.

14. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

RS is good. After you can understand some. Start watching movies with no subtitles.
    Its going to be easier than finding a native speaking hot chick to get drunk with.

Phl218 likes this.
  15. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

That will greatly assist your stalking of Rossi. :D

16. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Lesson one:

Grazie.

That was killing me. :)

tophyr likes this.
  17. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

You need to find a native speaker because book learning isn’t going to be able to correct your pronunciation. Find a college student that does tutoring or and adult and buy them beers to have conversations with once you get some basics down.

Yzasserina likes this.
  18. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I think you need to define "learning" for someone to be able to answer this question. If that's defined as being able to say "where's the bathroom", "may I have another beer", and "where do I find the best blow", I like your chances.

If it's defined as being a fluent speaker, that sounds overly ambitious. In order to really "learn" a language, you're going to have to spend significant time in/around natural speakers (and constantly reinforce it - I used to be close to fluent in spanish but haven't spoken it in 15 years so have lost ~80% of what I used to know). Language is like any other muscle and atrophies over time.

sbk1198 likes this.
  19. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

I might jump on this. Something I always struggle with. I have so many spanish speaking customers, google translate works but I'd like to be able to fumble through a conversation at least, then hopefully being able to do that leads to some repitition and it begins to stick.

20. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

"Learning a language is like opening a window."

This is as fucking quaint as you can get but, it's also true.....