1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

helmet headsets

Discussion in 'General' started by r6fast, Jul 13, 2020.

1. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

Looking for recommendations on helmet headsets. My wife would really like to annoy, I mean talk to me while we are riding. The last set I got was back in early 2000's.
    Sena seems to be nicer then tbe chatterbox.

2. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Definitely recommend communicators. My last GF and I used them. I have the SMH10 and 20s. Go with the 30k+ models which have mesh capability. Pairing is simpler.

3. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I've never used one, but my buddy can't sing the Sena's praises enough.

r6fast likes this.
  4. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

I've got the Sena and it's nice to be able to communicate easily. No yelling at the stop light, or having to chase someone down to gesture and get their attention. Just hit the intercom button and have an easy conversation. It's worth the price to me.

Edit: And when I do long rides, even with earplugs in its nice to have some low background music while cruising.

5. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I have the SM5FM in two helmets. It's about the most basic they make but it works fine for me.

6. Turbotech

Turbotech Well-Known Member

Either Sena or cardo, just get the same brand that your riding buddies have. They only really work on the mesh network within the same brand.
    My group have cardo and like them a lot.

7. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

8. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

We have Sena. They work great. I think hers is a 20S, made to fit her Schuberth, and mine is a 10S, I think. Could be vice versa, but either way, they work great for us.
    However, I wish the volume could be amped up a bit. I ride with ear plugs for the wind noise, but would like a little more horsepower in the speakers.

9. lopitt85

Search YouTube, there are some examples of people putting in stronger speakers

sharkattack likes this.
  10. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

Cardo Packtalk Bold with JBL sounnd.

I have used a couple of Sena systems and hated them all.
    We were using the Sena systems to talk from bike to bike, not to a passenger, so your results may be better.

11. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

sena 20S for the win, i would stay away from the 30S, as a friend has them, and nothing but, problems. the new 50S are out but, with the 30 problems, i would stick with tried and true. the wife and i use the 20S, on sport bikes, dirt bikes, and snowmobiles, and really appreciate them.

having the ability to communicate while traveling especially to avoid danger, is nothing less than AMAZING. being able to listen to music while riding, enhances the experience. your results may vary. Ski

12. Ellwood

Ellwood Well-Known Member

Are there any manufacturers with in ear noise blocking earbuds linked to a communicator?

I am currently using a set of Walker Razor Bluetooth set designed for shooting for podcast listening on my motorbike commute. It would be nice to add communicator capabilities. It seems counter intuitive to put in ear plugs then turn up helmet speakers.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I love my Cardo setups. Great for communicating with a passenger, does BT to the GPS, works great on phone calls although I hate that shit so only did it once as a test.

14. skidooboy

senas are bluetooth capable. link the noise canceling buds, to the sena unit, and enjoy! personally i use ear plugs, and the sena speakers, and the wife and i can BOTH hear the whispers under our breath. be careful, what you say, and how you say it. :D dont ask me how i know. :D Ski

15. lopitt85

I agree. I always wear earplugs and can still communicate just fine. When I listen to music it's just background music so that works just fine for me as well.

If I like the Sena this much, I wonder how much better the other one is that folks seem to like more.

DmanSlam likes this.
  16. Adam.B

Adam.B Member

Cardo paktalk bold is what my group uses. It’s works quite well, have had as many as 10 connected. If you use earplugs and helmet speakers the volume isn’t loud enough.

If it’s just you and your wife look into the interphone. It’s an older device, but worked well. The speaker volume blows the cardo away! My cardo has the JBL upgrade also.

17. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Sena 20S here! I bought them for when the wife and I rode around Lake Superior. Worth every penny.

skidooboy likes this.
  18. skidooboy

Lake Superior bike tour was one of the best rides, the wife and i ever had. need to do it again. Ski

eppy01f4i and Sprinky like this.
  19. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

Ski,

Any chance you have a route you could share?

20. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I want some that go to “11”...