1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crashed Car Question

Discussion in 'General' started by rd400racer, Jun 8, 2020.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I would be perfectly happy if they upped their offer by $4 grand. To me that makes everything whole again. But since they basically told me to pound sand, she's gotten the attorney that represents the dealership she works for to represent her. I gave them a gracious chance to easily settle this. Now shit is going to get ugly.

nd4spd and VFR#52 like this.
  2. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

She needs to sell Volvo's.....

scottn and rd400racer like this.
  3. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

I think that, prior to obtaining legal counsel, she should turn in a claim to her insurance company and see what they will offer her for the car. She can always withdraw the claim as long as the check isn't cashed

4. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Sorry to hear.

See if she can find some comps on BAT...they will be way more than $8k on there.

Dont be afraid to go round and round with the adjuster. Think of them as human scum. I had a Taco stolen years ago, V6, 4WD, SR5, Extra cab, locking diff, sun roof....all of it. WHen they sent over the first offer it wasnt a 4wd, sr5...etc. I had to argue with that idiot for weeks to get a more correct offer. I felt the final offer was slightly low but was ready to move on. My next move was going to have to be a lawyer.

If you send them comps that are much higher and they dont budge...lawyer up and take it all.

VFR#52 and rd400racer like this.
  5. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Lawyer up. Generally ones that are competent will not make you pay anything up front and theyll take a portion on the retainer agreement.

Im glad your daughter was not injured. She’ll have losses, some quantifiable, some not, that a good attorney will be able to uncover.

Ask me how I know, ugh.

6. Adam.B

Adam.B Member

I’m lazy and not going read all the responses. First thing, I hope your daughter is okay.

Ask the insurance company for the list of comparable vehicles they used. Then make sure the options, condition match your condition your daughters vehicle was in. You should be able to squeeze them for more money. Requires some due diligence on your part, but should help increase the value.

On a positive note, it was good thing to get rid of the is250. Shit engine that wears the cylinder walls. The Lexus bandaid was slam over sized pistons in it upon complaint of misfires. The world standard fluid (never service) made those transmissions last about 150K. If she buys another Lexus IS, get the 350 version.

rd400racer and VFR#52 like this.
  7. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Understood. It was my understanding that the insurance company was offering (roughly) market value for the car. Perhaps I misread that.

I don't own any insurance company stocks (only ETFs) and I work for a t-shirt company.

Agreed shitbox was an extraneous adjective, but I thought I explained it accurately enough that everyone thinks that their car is somehow "special". I can see how that may have come across as overly condescending (because it was) and there was no need for that tone - my apologies.

Scotty87 and socalrider like this.
  8. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Bad idea

If you file, regardless of whether you get paid or not they will hold it against you.

Make the at fault drivers insurance pay

VFR#52 and rd400racer like this.
  9. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

half of this is terrible advice. i WOULD try to negotiate comps with them. they'll always lowball you first on every aspect. also its true you don't owe them shit. but the last part is real dumb about it not being theirs to dictate value or what you do with it. 1) that is exactly what they get to do in any reasonable form or you get to hire a lawyer and wait half a year, and 2) you can always buy back your totalled POS if you want, you have options. one of my buddies who lurks on here had his MV F41000RR ran over by a construction crew literally an hour after he handed the guy the money for it. bought it back for pennies on the dollar... took the wheels, forks, shock, exhaust, engine and all and put them in another chassis after the total payout. made out like a bandit. on the IS... probably not so much, but still... just illustrating that its still yours until you take their money for it, and even after you do you can still often get it back for a small sum.

and this 100%:

making false threats is dumb unless you're ready to follow thru. being firm is not. also i dunno if joke or not, but either way, even if she's pushing a GT3 around for 2 weeks, i'd still get the loaner car just in case (or to stick one in their ass a little), and its none of their business. again... have them arrange a loaner, go to a doc.

10. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

You kinda took the fun out of it for me. I was all ready to work up a really good case of righteous indignation and you ruined it all by being reasonable.
    Thanks for nothin. :)

joec and socalrider like this.
  11. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

I haven’t read all this and really don’t need to. All answers are valid because they are an opinion. My opinion is sometimes you have to be a Dick to get ahead of an asshole. The insurance companies job is to fuck you. So you can’t feel sorry for them. You have to go at them like you would a home invader. Your wife is correct that there are too many frivolous law suits but this is just trying to break even. Don’t sign any medical releases until she has the amount of money that is fair. That’s all. Just fair.

VFR#52 likes this.
  12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I've seen you respond to assholes before and realized that if you were responding to me in that same way, a glance in the mirror was in order.

Apologies again; had a rough day at work and was being a dick for no good reason.

Cheers, brother Ken.

13. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

It’s they can eat a dick. Not a turd. You’re pissed! Let your words reflect your emotions :beer:

rd400racer likes this.
  14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

1. I skipped straight to the end here. $8K? $5K? The problem is a ten year old car with a $5K note attached to it.

badmoon692008, younglion and tl1098 like this.
  15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Welcome to the new beeb :(

The old beeb way was to concede nothing!:flag:

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

rd, sorry to hear your daughter's having painful back spasms from the wreck. I hope she doesn't loose too much income from this painful event.

rd400racer likes this.
  17. Raceless man

Raceless man Well-Known Member

Your daughter survived a pretty serous impact. The car gave its life to protect her. That is what matters. Not residual value of a possession.

Senna likes this.
  18. svracer22

svracer22 Well-Known Member

As others have mentioned, get some favorable comps to back up your argument.
    Also, make the insurance company give her a rental. She doesn't have to drive it, just keep it parked in the driveway. If the insurance company is losing money everyday from a rental, they will be a little quicker to work with you.

19. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Other than finding comparable prices through other books providers (KBB, NADA, Haggerty, etc.) You may not be able to get much more..

I understand having a note on the car, but if she didnt, she'd be just fine right?

I'm not going to judge about having a note on a 10 year old car.. especially when i'm considering pulling a note on a 15 year old P car... (If a bank/union offers an interest rate of 3-6% on an older car, yet the accounts and holdings where i'm keeping my cash are pulling 7-11%... Im gunna use the banks money.)

That's neither here nor there.. However, if i were you i'd compile a list of cars sold on BAT, Ebay, maybe local dealerships, etc. and send that to the insurance company. Also, maybe send them a counter offer?

20. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Wow, missing out on Porsche commissions must be a huge financial hit. What's her average income per work day and how many days did she miss again?

badmoon692008 likes this.